Camper Step Recommendation?

h2opup

I will be collecting my new ATC Ocelot soon (hooray!) on a RAM 1500 and am still trying to figure out what steps will work best for me and my older 50lb dog.
Older posts have shown a few options namely:

Hitch receiver-mounted steps
Small foldable stepstools (one or two steps)
Single step/ aluminum work platform
Small step ladders
Removable scissor-style folding steps

Because I will also need something to reach the camper clasps, canvas window covers, etc., I'd prefer to go with a multi-purpose option so have pretty much ruled out hitch or scissor steps for that reason. Problem appears to be that the step stools are not very tall for these other tasks. The single step aluminum platform option seems like it may not be enough steps (for me or the dog) getting in and out of the camper. The small step ladders would be hard/impossible for my dog to navigate given the angle and size of the steps.

I am looking at the Lil Giant (2 or 3 step version) that seem great in terms of stable, large, protruding steps for me and the pup (more like a staircase than a ladder), and for reaching the outside of the camper. However their size and weight are clear disadvantages when storing.

Are there other options that I am missing? With tailgate removed, what is a comfortable distance to be stepping down out of an ATC camper and onto a first step?

Many thanks in advance.

We run these: Portable Folding Step

Have worked well on a variety of terrain, are really light weight, easily deployed and affordable. They are the perfect height and stride to enter and exit our rig. Wide steps, that are easy to aim for, non slip and did I mention very light. Holding up well and when/if they fail I will get them again. Great for off the beaten path, to the beach or just loading groceries in a parking lot or making a quick sandwich at a rest stop. Guaranteed to not rust, bust, collect dust, crack chip or peel. Works for us.

Attachments

• IMG_2850.jpg
    IMG_2850.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2156 (1).jpg
    IMG_2156 (1).jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2136 (2).jpg
    IMG_2136 (2).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 18
If you are agile enough, and your camper is not too high, that two step portable folding stepstool would work. It would not work for my wife because she has bad knees and our camper is pretty high. So we use a four step little giant stepstool. It works great for us.

Little Giant Ladders, Jumbo Step, 4-Step, 3 foot, Step Stool, Aluminum, Type 1AA, 375 lbs weight rating, (11904), Gray
a.co/d/6bNluvy.

It is very sturdy and surprisingly lightweight. I removed the swing up handle which helps keep the weight down. I carry it on the back wall of the camper, but it could fit inside, laying down. I like to carry it outside, so if it is dirty, I don’t have to clean it off. You could get a three step if your camper is low enough.

Thanks Drumwood.

Was it difficult to remove the swing up handle? I hadn’t considered that but its a smart way to keep the weight and size down on the Little Giant options.

Thanks Drumwood.

Was it difficult to remove the swing up handle? I hadn’t considered that but its a smart way to keep the weight and size down on the Little Giant options.
I don't remember exactly what I did to remove the handle. I had to cut off (with a hacksaw, I think) the pivot bolt inner head. It wasn't too hard.

Back
Top Bottom