Camper Steps - Modification for clearance & jack or shovel mounting.

Bosque Bill

I purchased a set of Brophy hitch mounted steps for my Tacoma and camper last spring. They worked great, but I figured a modification would make them even better.

Hope you don't mind, but it's easier for me to post on my travel blog. Remember to click on a photo to view them all in a larger size.

Camper Steps modified to swing up for trail clearance and to mount a shovel or Hi-Lift Jack

If you have questions about the design or operation, feel free to leave a comment here or on the blog.

Bill

I mounted mine to the front.

img_93879_0_9331a0af0bb1e5d173c575b9bee6e204.jpg

img_93879_2_e093c657f3a2775f0f1e8bb33d4ed765.jpg

img_93879_4_aa7d24bda1564e4d68ed15b48068ba4e.jpg

Ida,
Do you have a clearer picture of the shovel mounted on the Hi-Lift?

I installed a receiver hitch on the front of my Tacoma to carry my bike to keep it clean on the dirt roads. I had a bracket fab'd
for my Hi-Lift...however don't like it as much as I like yours.

I will take a picture of my "Hi-Lift mount" and add it to this post in the next few days.

Here is pic with the Bike on front:

gallery_2684_745_89608.jpg

RC Pilot Jim said:
Bill I like what you did with the rear steps.
Maybe I need to get mine modified to carry the Hi-Lift under the rear step.
Thanks, Jim, and I haven't figured a good way to carry my bike, yet. Is your front receiver robust enough to be a recovery point (with a proper shackle insert)?

A question for you Toyota guys with High Lift jacks.....where do you mount the jack on the vehicle for lifting?

Other than sticking it in the receiver hitch....I can't think of any where that wouldn't result in damage.

Leadsled9,
I had "sliders" (robust running boards) welded to the frame, These are my "Hi-Lift" jacking points. Put a towell between the jack arm and the door to prevent "chafing". I will take a picture then edit this reply.

Here are the pictures on my "Hi-Lift" Jack mount.

gallery_2684_745_28626.jpg

gallery_2684_745_28283.jpg

gallery_2684_745_22058.jpg

Like I said before I like Ida's better because I haven't figured out how to mount the shovel. Though with the weight issue it is easier to set the jack on a "horizontal" bracket then lift it into position with the "vertical"plate

Bill,
Yes front receiver is welded to the frame rails to use a "shackle" draw bar. I carry one that can be used either in the front or rear.

RC Pilot Jim said:
Yes front receiver is welded to the frame rails to use a "shackle" draw bar. I carry one that can be used either in the front or rear.
Thanks for the info. I guess I need to do something like that, too.

Bill my front hitch is rated for 9000 pounds. I have thought about a winch but in reality I don't get into the rough stuff much any more. I am more of a drive it to where I want to go and take my ATV.

My jack mount has a shelf that holds the Jack so I don't have to lift and hold. I just lift into the spot and slide the jack over the bolts then put the nuts on.

img_96528_0_c7324b13a5148ccccfc146b64988acc8.jpg

I added the round tube to mount the shovel but I didn't like that. I ended up using a neat little mount I found at a local store.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQPANY/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p60_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1FF0H3QGRF3DBJK2SBKG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

I just bolted them to the jack and it keeps the shovel ready and tight. If I needed the jack I would have to remove the jack holder but if I need that jack I have bigger troubles than the two bolts that hold the shovel on.

img_96528_2_1d54b1dc0320372ba95749a8dde7885b.jpg

I made an anti rattle hitch pin for the jack mount and the whole thing is solid and I don't even know it is there. I do have to be careful I don't bump cars with it. Ron

Ron, that looks like a very nice set-up. Thanks for sharing the big photos - fun to see the hitch "before" and "after", too :)

Yes, those quick-fist clamps work great, though you do have to be careful as the furnished screws will pull right out if you snag your shovel (though if you've used the jack bolts that might not apply to you.)

I do need to get up to Idaho. That was one of my plans when I got my camper as I've never visited your fair state before.

Bill

If you come let me know I can give you a list of places to visit. The Bruneau Canyon is in my opinion one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Back
Top Bottom