Camper Steps You Can Fabricate

PackRat

I've been sleeping in the bed of my F-250 PU a few times when out there...getting in and out is always an adventure, especially if the bumper where I need to step down only after lifting the camper shell rear window goes UP is slippery. After slipping when getting in due to water on my shoe from wet grass and nearly breaking a few ribs I looked around for options. I had a two step plastic unit from my days with the Lance on the F-250 and it required removing the short 2" tube towing ball extension I had to get the tow-bar for my jeep down a bit lower and that was another PITA.

OK, buy a short ladder...but you don't know if the ground slopes UP or DOWN after you level your rig so that's not good. The plastic thing didn't like uneven ground either.

So...those step bars that go into the 2" hitch seemed like a good idea....but if I had an AK mounted (8 or 10 FT) then I would have the tailgate down and need an extension.

My F-250 tailgate is about 34" to the ground now, when I get an 8Ft. CO AK in there it will go down a little but my thought was to forget about a step that is down 15" and leaves another 15-20" of drop to the ground. Not comfortable for me or the misses. So the option came to me in a haze of one cocktail and a napkin and pencil.

Oh yeah, I wanted to do it cheaply after looking at what Amazon wanted to charge me...plus shipping!

I scrounged some materials at a friends fabrication shop but you'll have to find your own.

First I turned a U-Haul short 2" box tube extension with a lower mount for the ball upside down.
Then I took some 1" x 1" angle iron (thin stuff, maybe less than 1/8"?) and made a frame that was 8" x 20". I welded the corner cuts and added a 4" x 8" x 1/8" front to back on the bottom and drilled a hole in it 1 1/2" in from one side. I cut some nice 3/4 plywood so it fit into the frame and secured with brass R/H wood screws. I used contact cement to attach a piece of rubber matting (the thin stuff that comes in rolls with non-slip grooves in it).

I made a second step just like it only without that last piece of steel on the bottom.

I found some 5/16" thick steel bout 3" wide and made a stretched out "Z" pattern out of it.
3" across the top and drilled for the bolt.
12" DOWN on an angle
8" across the bottom to be welded on the bottom of the lower step.
I welded the lower step to the Z bracket.

I bought a hex-head bolt, two BIG flat washers, lockwasher and nut.

So....I can assemble the short box extension with just ONE step on it which will be down about 11" from the bed of the truck.....or I can add the lower step section and have a two step ladder mounted on the truck.

Now...you are asking how LONG the middle of the Z needs to be, right?

Well....tailgate to ground is about 34" so I figured down 11" to the first step left 23" to the ground which is doable for me...but ain't gonna cut it when the misses goes out so I set the length of the Z so that when the lower step frame and plywood insert was added it would be 11" down from step #1 to step #2. From there it is 12" to the ground....

I finished up the top step the other day and today I fabricated/welded the lower step and the Z and welded them together and bead blasted them and primed them. Tomorrow another coat of primer then the first of two coats of black semi-gloss finish paint. I will cut the plywood and screw it to the frame (I just drilled six holes in the frame on the bottom and drilled a pilot hole then put in a brass screw in each hole) then glue down some more black rubber matting.

I plan to add some glow-in-the-dark tape to highlight those shin killers also. I'm thinking about one of those solar path lights for the garden on each side that shines DOWN to help to locate them in the dark also.

When I get an 8' AK in there and get to wherever we are going to camp, I put a 14" extension I had for a boat I towed behind the Lance in there, add my step unit and put the tail gate down. That should make the steps just about right.

You know how it is....second time around would be easier with the "learning curve" behind me so to speak but I'm thinking this will be just fine and the steps wil be just where you would EXPECT them to be.

OK...I guess an aluminum ladder would have been cheaper but on uneven ground....not very safe.

Anyway...food for thought for some of you guys who would prefer to recycle scrap metal and things as opposed to buying something from overseas....

Will do...I have to finish up the lower step unit today....contact cement and the rubber matting and the brass RH screws to hold the 3/4" plywood in the frame. I will try to figure out posting pics when I have them done. Want to get it assembled and onto the truck for a photo as well.

Here is the upper step unit. It is bolted to a U-Haul 2" reciever hitch. You can bolt the actual step to the reciever in two ways, depending on how HIGH you want the step to be simply by turning the reciever upside down and bolting the step on that way.

Here is the top step ready to install:
Upper Step.jpg

Here is the bottom of that top step which shows the 3/4" plywood and the six brass RH wood screws:
Bottom of Upper Step.jpg

Here is the lower step unit. The "Z" bracket is welded to the bottom of the frame permanently. I have not yet installed the 3/4" plywood and the six screws nor attached the rubber matting:

Lower Step Not Assembled.jpg

I would have preferred a carriage bolt (smooth rounded head) over the hex head bolt as stubbing a toe is possible. I may try that later on though.

All this was scrap metal at a friends shop except for the bolt/nut/washer. I scrounged some matting and a piece of plywood and used whatever paint for the plywood and had the black spray paint in the garage....

I'll get it finished up today and try to get some pics of it assembled.

Here is the tailgate DOWN view:

Tailgate DOWN.jpg

Here is a quarter view that shows the 14" extension I already owned from towing a boat behind the Lance camper and the short extension in it. This brings the upper step out to the edge of the tailgate and makes it an 11" step DOWN from the tailgate:

Side View.jpg

When I finish the lower step assembly, it should give me another 11" step down to it and about the same 11" step down to FLAT GROUND....plus/minus depending on the terrain.

With nothing to do but put in the pin and the keeper, I can mount just the 8" extension with the step in two minutes.
When (??) I find myself and 8' CO AK, I can install the 14" extension and the 8" with the step in about four minutes. If I need both steps then I need a wrench to add the second one to the first one.

I know from camping over the years that with a camper in the truck that I will need both steps so I can assemble it prior to departure and install in no time at all though. I am going to not drive with them installed though but I plan on getting some reflective tape on both the frames and will get one of those solar path lights at Home/Lowes to put next to the lower one...

Real nice PR.
I like that you have a nice size landing pad to move you feet around on.

Russ

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom