Campers prohibited?

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
A HIGH WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM BISHOP (INYO CO)
THE NEVADA STATE LINE - TRAVEL IS PROHIBITED FOR CAMPERS, TRAILERS
OR PERMIT LOADS

Question: What is your interpretation? I assume pop ups are considered campers. Do you pull over, find a detour (what we did recently) or risk it?

Lighthawk said:
A HIGH WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM BISHOP (INYO CO)
THE NEVADA STATE LINE - TRAVEL IS PROHIBITED FOR CAMPERS, TRAILERS
OR PERMIT LOADS

Question: What is your interpretation? I assume pop ups are considered campers. Do you pull over, find as detour (what we did recently) or risk it?
Where did you see this, Andy? Is this "prohibited" via CalTrans or CHP -- that is, is it prohibited by folks who have the power to enforce it?

We had the same thing issued for 395 in Nevada and i had friends who canceled trips to Reno because of the alerts. Way back when, you got these wind warnings in Washoe Valley all the time especially if you drove a camper, high profile rig, or VW, and yes they did stop you on the road if you were the wrong type of vehicle. I do remember my vw or more than one time being picked up and blown over one lane, and/or seeing high profile rigs on their sides when the wind warning was up. They had a county bypass that ran along east side of the hills instead of down the valley. It's like a "only 4x4 trucks allowed warning" when roads are under snow watches, only in this case a wind watch. Me I would not take a chance, but find a bypass or a nice place to sit/camp and wait 'till the alert is over.
Smoke

I've seen this many times - and current for right now -

US 395
[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.

[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
CHAINS OR SNOW TIRES ARE REQUIRED FROM THE 1 MI SOUTH OF THE JCT OF SR 203
TO 7 MI SOUTH OF BRIDGEPORT (MONO CO)

CHAINS OR SNOW TIRES ARE REQUIRED FROM 3 MI NORTH OF BRIDGEPORT TO 3 MI
SOUTH OF THE JCT OF SR 108 (MONO CO)

A HIGH WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM THE SAN BERNARDINO/KERN CO LINE TO
THE NEVADA STATE LINE - TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CAMPERS, TRAILERS OR
PERMIT LOADS

- LARGE TRUCKS WITH SINGLE-AXLE-DRIVE TOWING TWO TRAILERS ARE PROHIBITED IN
CHAIN CONTROL AREAS

[IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON SINGLE AXLE DRIVE VEHICLES TOWING TRAILERS FROM
MADELINE TO 5 MI SOUTH OF LIKELY (LASSEN CO) /SAGEHEN SUMMIT/

I haven't seen it elevated to "prohibited". We'd not drive if we were in an area with that restriction. One would be to avoid a citation and two, to avoid the other folks on the road.

This information comes from CalTrans, and I'm sure CHP would be happy to enforce it.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

Like Ski, I haven't seen it elevated to prohibited until recently. It's always been stated as "not recommended".

Coming back from Mono Lake / Benton over Thanksgiving weekend we got caught in a doozy of a storm, and the DOT website listed 395 from Lee Vining to the Nevada State Line (Topaz) as "prohibited for campers . . ." :oops:
We found an alternate route through Hawthorne, NV by heading east on Pole Line Rd., aka Hwy 167. It was a good move and avoided chain controls too. We were lucky.

But my question stands: What the heck do you do when the powers that be decide your rig is prohibited???
I wonder if this is a new policy from the nanny state :cautious: Did CalTrans get a new director, or has there been a lawsuit, or ?
I'm noticing a tightening of regulations, and I'm trying to understand why it's changing, and what strategies can be used to deal with it.
:D -------mini rant off------ :D

Elect freedom loving representatives regardless of party that follow the constitution & oppose those politicians that don't believe the citizen should assume individual responsibility for his actions & choices.

:) As always, ready to rant at drop of hat. ;)

Paul
Now, where did I put my hat...

Lighthawk said:
This information comes from CalTrans, and I'm sure CHP would be happy to enforce it.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

Like Ski, I haven't seen it elevated to prohibited until recently. It's always been stated as "not recommended"....

...But my question stands: What the heck do you do when the powers that be decide your rig is prohibited??
I've never seen "prohibited" -- for reasons of wind -- either. :oops:

What to do? For me, it depends on whether I'm trying to deal with the restriction or deal with the physical hazard.
I don't have much experience with severe restrictions for wind or the actual hazard of extreme winds, so I'll use the case of snow-based restrictions. (however, once I drove 395 from Conway Summit to Mono Lake in my truck-camper under a "High Wind Warning", and it was no big deal...that time)

How the restriction compares to the actual hazard depends on where the situation occurs, so my response to the restriction might vary depending on where it occurs.

For example, on I-5 in northern CA between Redding and Yreka, they tend to require chains -- sometimes even close the Interstate -- when snow is still relatively moderate, not that bad. The traffic is so heavy and so many of the drivers don't know snow-driving that the authorities are super-cautious. In other words, the restriction is out of proportion to the real hazard faced by any one car (except for all the other drivers). That said, I still wouldn't try to bust through CHP barricades on I-5 just because I can :D ...but I might try to find an alternate route around the restriction, even if the alternate was objectively worse -- but legal.
On Oregon highways (aside from I-5 over Siskiyou Summit) the standard restriction when the snow on the road is moderately bad is "Traction tires or devices REQUIRED". But "traction tires" can be as mild as mud-and-snow tires, and these days most cars run M&S tires, in the winter anyway, so it's not much of a restriction.
When snow is really bad on Oregon highways they'll say "CHAINS REQUIRED..." or maybe "4-WHEEL DRIVE WITH CHAINS". At that point the driving conditions are actually bad -- not over-cautious at all, and at that point I probably wouldn't drive. I carry a full set of chains for my truck (and for my car), so I CAN install them if necessary...but "necessary" would have to be to save my life...or to get the serum through to the remote village stricken by plague.

So, how I deal with driving restrictions depend on how the restriction compares to the actual hazard -- in my judgement -- and whether or not there's a more-or-less legal alternative to the restriction.

billharr said:
This thread reminded me of this video. Just noticed a pop up camper at 15 sec into video
Wow! :O
(nice that the video-recorders pulled over)

I guess the fact that the pop-up camper made it through the windy zone proves that they're OK in high winds!
;)

Prohibited and mandatory are ways of saying you've been warned. If you proceed, it's at your own risk and you accept the potential consequences legal or otherwise. All laws and restrictions are technically advisory in nature.

JHa6av8r said:
Prohibited and mandatory are ways of saying you've been warned. If you proceed, it's at your own risk and you accept the potential consequences legal or otherwise. All laws and restrictions are technically advisory in nature.
Unless you drive in Italy and there they are just suggestions.
Frank

Through Washoe valley on 395 they used to post that semi's, rv's and campers were prohibited during high wind events. I've travelled through there many times with my 4Wheel without problems even when the NHP was stopping and ticketing semi's. Since they opened the new freeway 580 they now post that high profile vehicles over 9 ft are prohibited. Since our campers are just a few inches taller than a pickup with a shell I don't think it's an issue, at least not here in NV.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Unless you drive in Italy and there they are just suggestions.
Ah Naples, Italy. After closing the O'club, we use to pay the cabbies to race back to fleet landing.

I think they're after the big campers not popups. Never seen a prohibition either, just warnings but I'd risk it if I felt it was safe. I'd be prepared to explain why it didn't apply to me in the unlikely event I was pulled over.

I just noticed on the Nevada DOT roads website there are 4 levels of wind alerts -

Wind:

color-w1v2.gif
High Winds-Large Trucks Prohibited, Buses, RV's and Trailers Not Advised

color-w2v2.gif
Wind Alert-High Profile Vehicles Use Caution

color-w3v2.gif
High Winds-Trucks, Buses, Trailers and RV's Prohibited

color-w4v2.gif
High Winds-Vehicles Over 9 Feet High Are Prohibited

craig333 said:
I wonder what their definition of an RV is.
Yep. It's like the question of what "hard side" means (i.e., are our pop-ups hard-side or soft?) in bear-related restrictions.
In this case it's a question of "are our pop-up campers more like a canopy or more like an RV"

Not sure about an RV but the Calif definition of a large vehicle is any vehicle which exceeds 25 feet in length, or exceeds 80 inches in width, or exceeds 82 inches in height. My Grandby on a 4x4 Dodge exceeds these width and height limits. The Goleta parking Nazis no longer allow me to park on the street.

Great storm plowing in!
And . . . they are at it again:

From CA DOT:
US 395
[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.

[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
A HIGH WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM THE INYO/MONO CO LINE TO THE
NEVADA STATE LINE - TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CAMPERS, TRAILERS OR
PERMIT LOADS

A HIGH WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM INYO/MONO CO LINE TO BRIDGEPORT
(MONO CO) - TRAVEL IS PROHIBITED FOR CAMPERS, TRAILERS OR PERMIT LOADS :unsure:

[IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
A HIGH WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM THE NEVADA STATE LINE TO
JOHNSTONVILLE RD (LASSEN CO) - TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CAMPERS, TRAILERS
OR PERMIT LOADS

Back
Top Bottom