Campfire permit time

Yep that's the whole point of getting a permit-education! I used to carry a book of them in my BLM rig and give them out to campers who didn't have one. You would be surprised( maybe not) on how many people you run into out there that have a complete lack of any camping knowledge or outdoor smarts and that little talk you gave them in the office or out in the field (and now on line) may have helped stop that "mother" of all fires from starting!

Smoke

Thanks Craig, I always stopped by our local Forest Service or BLM office to get my permit. This was quick and easy. Always good to be safe and legal.

Camp responsibly! Get your permit. Unless you camp in Oregon or Washington, or almost anywhere else. No campfire permit is required. Actually, thanks for sharing. I've worked in California several times over the years and had absolutely no idea they had a recreational camp fire permit that included all the federal agencies.

Thanks! New news for me in the east. I looked and couldn't find the fee. Just assumed there was one. So used to foolish excuses for fees and taxes here that I just assumed this was another especially after reading about portable stoves.

Around here about the only fire permits are for backyard burning on property near homes.

National Forest use is so heavy in Southern California that they came up with a fee to use the public land that already belongs to you.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/cleveland/passes-permits/recreation#adventure

$30 for an annual pass. Couple of years ago a court ruled it illegal in certain cases, such as hikers that do not use developed facilities. USFS still sells them though. In that last 15 years I've only been challenged once and that was the only year I've bought one. I avoid places that are that crowded

Is this something that you require when camping in privately owned campgrounds in California, or is writing permission given when registering for the campsite. This is something that I'm not accustom to.

When camping in Canada National parks, wood is provided, but you purchase a campfire permit each day. When camping elsewhere, I've never heard or needing a permit, but normally you purcashe or provide your own wood.

Cities have different rules. Where I live (St. Albert) you need to bring a drawing of your proposed campfire pit and yard/structures etc. to the fire department and they grant a permit if it meets code. Some cities do not allow open pits, while others do and no permit is even needed. It different across the board. I've never heard of needing a permit while camping other than in national parks.

A campfire permit is meant to be used outside of what you call a civilized cg on state or federal land-unless other wise prohibited. You always need to check on fire conditions/restrictions before camping in a area. Another words,if you have one, depending on current fire restrictions, you can build a fire in one of those rock rings or iron fire hearths you see in the dry camps and cgs most of us camp in. You need it to build a fire when.back packing. There are also times that you can not even build a fire in a a pre made fire hearth or .rock ring anywhere inside or out side of a cg. Every cg has a set of posted rules on when or where you can build a fire. One rule to remember ,especially when camping in a dry cg, is that when camp fires are prohibited, if you have a CF permit you can usually use propane stove outside , but usually not a BBQ. If for no other reason than this this is why to get a cf permit- w/o it you cook in the camper. Sometimes due to fire restrictions, Nevada also requires a cg permit in NW Nevada to build a fire. That help?

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom