Campfire permit time

I cheat because on the 1st of the year I have both California and Nevada Fish and Game send me email reminders that is is time to renew my fishing license and I complete the trifecta by heading over to the CalFire web site when I'm done and getting my California Campfire Permit :D! Both States let you set up the automatic reminder and renewal program and it works every time!

Smoke

We are planning on a Death Valley trip this spring -- so, yup, we now have a permit. Thanks for posting the link, Craig.

I'm curious: what does issuing a permit accomplish?
It's not like you are telling where you are having a campfire.

And they really don't care how much fire fighting gear and experience you have. Still need that permit.

Lecture and/or test before permit?
Mandatory video before permit was helpful in BWCA.

Craig, thanks for the reminder. As we all know there are people out there that have no clue, the required video, I would think would help clear up some questions for those people !! We would hope

My take is that one is required to watch the video and take they test and carry the permit.so as to remove the ignorance defense from the table.

But then again I encountered some $#%^@ with a campfire in one of those portable rings in a dispersed site in summer 2020. I told them there were in violation, they claimed they were legal because they had a "campfire permit" and a "fire ring". I asked "where is your shovel?" and "where is your 5 gallons of water?".

Once I was camping with a group of people. I was the one with the campfire permit and there was a fire ban in dispersed sites - we were using Coleman stoves. And then one of the group built a campfire. I told him he had to put it out. He refused. I packed up and left - took my permit with me.

But I have only known one person who was ever cited for having a fire without a permit. (He blamed it on "California" and said how would never enter the state again and I quietly muttered, "sounds good")

I don't think I have had a campfire since 2011 and that includes 20-30 nights of backpacking every summer.

I got cited once. My vehicle was closest to the fire so I got the ticket. I thought were safe but the ranger disagreed. I think it cost me $250.

craig333 said:
I got cited once. My vehicle was closest to the fire so I got the ticket. I thought were safe but the ranger disagreed. I think it cost me $250.
That reminds me of the time I was ticketed for an off-leash dog that did not belong to me because I also had a dog (on a leash) and the off-leash one did not have a license. I tried the Peter Seller's "that's not my dog", accent and all, but the ranger was not at all amused. Neither was I as the owner of the dog was standing right next to me.

Back
Top Bottom