Camping along the Loneliest Hwy?

teledork

Pinyon Jay
I will be driving Highway 50 across Nevada near the end of May. I could push all the way to Ely but would rather take a couple of days to make the drive. I won't have a whole lot of time to explore the valleys but may try to get to Berlin - Ichthyosaur State Park on the way home - after Memorial Day - so the Fossil House will be open. Are there any other suggestions for camping (established or dispersed) around Austin or thereabouts? (I've been to Spencer Hot Springs - won't do it again)

I've done it a couple of times, it is lightly traveled. Just west of Austin I find the old highway (722) more interesting than the main route. There are many dispersed campsites available, I just pulled up one of the side valleys, made sure that I didn't block through traffic (there wasn't any), and enjoyed the quiet. There are interesting side/connector roads from the B-I state park area to 722 and 50.
Have fun.

Bill

The campground at Berlin is one of our "held in reserve if we need it" spots. Not because it's awful, but the reverse - it is a really nice campground.

Although the pass between Berlin & Gabbs is a pretty one, I'd suggest going to or from, or both, via Ione and avoid Gabbs like the plague. Just watch your speed while on the Res. and know that the far side of the pass between the Res. and down thru Ophir to NV 376 is pretty extreme near the top. I'd not take a camper down it for sure.

There are spots in the Toiyabe range S of Austin, but a bit off the road. Either dispersed camping or some USFS campgrounds (don't know whether they will be open when you are that way). Bob Scott is usually closed until sometime in May, but you can get in even if it is closed.

Near Ely, there is Cave Lake camping (SE) and the Ward Charcoal Ovens (S). The latter campground was redone a few years ago.

I agree, the old highway (722) is a much nicer drive than 50 and plenty of spots to pull off.

We used the Bob Scott campground last June as well.

If you need a saloon, the International Cafe & Bar in Austin is a unique experience. The owner left Serbia at 12, now in his 60s, maybe 70s.

Some very interesting conversations.

Thanks much for the responses! I've walked around the Hickson site before but did not camp and the Bob Scott site has caught my attention before. I have also hiked around Grimes Point but not camped - I'll check 3Pin's blog. And I'll look at that 722 alternative - I have noticed it on a map. When I get to Ely we will be at Cleve Creek in Spring Valley but thanks for the alternatives, Atlin. And Cayuse - thank you for the directions to your spot.

And thank you ntsqd for your details. I did intend to go out to the south of Berlin rather than backtracking to Hwy 50 - but probably not over the summit to 376. But I have to ask - what is with Gabbs?

Gabbs is just a blight on a beautiful desert. Typical (Co. Owned?) mining town. It is ugly & lacking any charm, but brief and survivable.

The two track going south from Berlin is slow travel until the powerline road. It has been a few years since I've been over it, but I don't recall anything difficult. Crossing East thru Ione and then turning south at the Res. I think is a much prettier drive. Longer, but prettier.

Thanks, ntsqd! I was wondering if Gabbs had roving gangs of zombies or something. I doubt it could be more unattractive than Tonopah. And I encountered some very nice people in Tonopah (once I got past all the abandoned buildings)

And now that I have looked more closely I don't want to go south out of Berlin. I will be on my way back home and traveling west at that point so I think I will come in through Ione and leave through Gabbs.

I think it uglier than Tonopah, rivals Trona.

True Tonopah story, group of us gathering for a week-long NV trip in the dirt lot next to Tonpah's Mickey D's. We'd been in and out getting coffee & what-not while waiting and one of the guys noticed that all of the employees had where they were from engraved under their name on the tag. One guy had "Upper Peninsula" there. When asked how he ended up in Tonopah his UP drawl was priceless as he said "jest bad luck, I guess."

Going west from Berlin on the pavement is a pretty drive up and over the pass. And, you don't really enter Gabbs if you turn North on the 361 heading back up to the 50.

Not mentioned, thus far, for easy to find spots to overnight along highway 50 -

Fort Churchill State Park Campground 39°17'18.5"N 119°16'31.62"W
This is a pleasant spot along the Carson River we have used numerous times.

Illipah Reservoir Campground 39°20'06.27"N 115°23'25.07"W
We know folks who have overnighted here. It's not our cup of tea but would use in a pinch.

I wanted to thank everyone again for the suggestions. Thank you for trusting me with your secret spots and surprising me with your willingness to share. I won't be able to fit it all in one trip so there will have to be another!

I've traveled south to north in Nevada from Las Vegas up to Wells and used mostly secondary roads. The country is so empty that if you wanted to encounter other people you had to seek them out. Even when we were on main highways there were enough roads leading into mountain ranges or canyons that finding good places to spend the night was easy if you're self contained and have plenty of water. The gravel roads were maintained so well that the few local people and ranchers we saw were comfortable at 50-60mph and whizzed past us.
Have fun

I think Nevada’s Highway 6 is lonelier. We run into very few vehicles. It is even more remote exploring the mountains and valleys between the two highways. It is one of our fave areas to explore.

I have found iOverlander and ultimate campground apps to be extremely helpful. Recommended to me by other users on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom