Camping Cookware

Kilroy

Anyone using anything special for cookware in their campers? I was discussing(?) with the wife as we were packing last week the amount of space being taken up by the cookware she packed. She suggested we could use the self stacking cookware in the kitchen after she got new cookware:eek:

Wondering about stacking, cast iron, etc.

Also any thoughts on storage of these items?

I'm using some MSR 'Guide' aluminum non-stick cookware because they don't have the handle attached and nest inside each other for storage. I already had them for group backpacking trips. They are 3 and 4 liter pots. If I was buying them I would get the 'alpine guide' stainless set which consists of 1, 2and 3 liter pots. I use an aluminum non-stick fry pan with a folding handle. The pots fit in the fry pan. Also, the MSR pots fit in a bag for storage.

Attachments

• blacklite_guide.jpeg
    blacklite_guide.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 455
  • alpine_guide.jpg
    alpine_guide.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 440
When I got my camper the wife and I went to Target and bought a nonstick set. A large pot, pan and small pot. That and a small stainless steel tea pot.
The stainless steel heats up very fast so this saves on propane and the pots and pan all fit in one cabinet. I like the nonstick for easy clean up. For us it's all about relaxing and enjoying the trip. Keep It Simple Stupid is the code I try to live buy. That and when you drink beer with someone they are your friend.

Cheers,
Mike

Nonstick is the way to go for camping. I've even been thinking about ditching the coleman drip coffee maker, not because I don't like it, but because its huge, and just going back to a little percolator.

cookware...

Like the rest of our outfit we have pared down to what we find essential. Cookware consists of two nesting stainless pots with lids, a nonstick heavy frypan with a lid (standard 9 or 10" with handle removed), one small stainless mixing bowl, two plastic eating bowls, two plastic plates, two plastic cups, two insulated mugs, a stack of throwaway paper plates, and appropriate utensils. Coffee is made with drip method, a #2 drip cone with a SwissGold reusable filter. We use a Coleman Peak 1 multifuel one burner stove....it uses either white gas or unleaded. I like that since we travel in areas where white gas is hard to come by. We also have a small plastic cutting board and a roll of aluminum foil. Everything fits in a small bin except the stove and fuel bottle. I think the trick for us is to have a bunch of standard easy one-pot recipes.
Brian

4 things

I use a pot for heating canned goods, steaming/boiling vegetables, etc., A well aged cast iron skillet (doesn't get much more "non-stick" than that), a porcelain coffee pot which can be placed on any heating surface, including in the middle of a camp fire (I've even cooked spaghetti in it), and a portable gas grill.

I just bought a Weber portable gas BBQ. In the store it looked small but when I put it in the camper, it takes up allot of room. It is a nice BBQ so I'll keep it. But hind sight says I should have gotten a smaller one. I used it on a over night stay on the Kern River and from now on I will always bring a BBQ.
You can't go wrong with burning dead animal parts and eating them. Wash it down with water that grain has rotted in, MMMM boy, nothing better.:D

We've used the same Weber "Smokey Joe" for 15 years now. It comes apart and stores pretty well and it works great. Pam tried cast iron and found it has a tendency to beat up the inside of the cabinet. We started storing it in a tote but now we just use light weight stuff.
Jay

I Should have mentioned...

I have plates that fit in the skillet. I wrap a towel around the skillet to keep it from banging inside the cupboard.

I have bowls that fit in the pot and, I use a wash cloth between the bowls and the pot to prevent damage to either. I can also fit spices inside the pot.

I fit BBQ sauce, Tang, and other items inside the coffee pot.

The grill I use is a Cadac brand "Safari Chef" from the UK. It is little more than a burner with several heating surfaces - the griddle and BBQ being the ones I use most often, plus the BBQ top easily converts to a pot/wok. It packs into about a 10" X 13" X 13" package. I didn't save a link to the page that I bought it from, but a search of "Cadac" should find a distributor.

You can't go wrong with burning dead animal parts and eating them. Wash it down with water that grain has rotted in, MMMM boy, nothing better.:D

simimike,
This is priceless. Original?

Kilroy,
I'd like to think so, but I'm sure I heard it some where. I have no problem stealing good material from any anybody. Take my wife...please! OK it doesn't have to be good stuff. I'll try to work even mediocre stuff in. :D

Cheers,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom