Camping/Hiking hats?

I have the Outdoor Research Helios and one of their Sun Runner models as well (baseball style with neck protection) also a selection of ball caps and trucker hats.

I really prefer something that doesn't have a brim in the back unless I'm hiking. In and out of the truck, driving and whatnot I find the full brim distracting and trying to shoot photos with any kind of hat on can be a piece of pocket bread.

Vic said:
The best sun hat is one you'll wear - I became a believer after some skin cancer scares a few years ago...my go to hat is my Outdoor Research Sombriolet. Breaths good, covers well, and dries quickly (such as mine a dunk in the Lamar River last fall). Also machine washable, for the aforementioned sweat stains :)

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/sombriolet-sun-hat/p/2434410008008

I recently bought a back-up to keep in the camper Every now and then they go on clearance for last year's colors. BUT the camo ones are not the same nylon/polyester mix and are cotton, so keep an eye out.
I’ll second the OR Sombriolet.
I bought it several years ago for a float trip through the Gramd Canyon where it got over 110. Have been using it ever since.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Don’t forget...

“He who enters covered here
Buys the house a round of cheer”
Steve, and I did that very thing (intentionally of course) my last day active duty in the Corps...with my squadron buds and a few others, set me back ~$250! Coin well spent!

Advmoto18 said:
A Marine might as well be considered naked if outside without a cover (hat)!....
Wandering Sagebrush said:
Don’t forget...

“He who enters covered here
Buys the house a round of cheer”
Couple years ago I visited a friend who was temporarily living on the 29 Palms USMC Base (MCAGCC). The first time to the commissary (aka, base supermarket), as we entered, my friend turned to me and told me to remove the ball cap I was wearing. I hesitated, and he said, "Seriously -- required". So I took my cap off.
As we left the store I noticed the poster outside the doors indicating what types of clothes (no tank tops) and shoes (no flip-flops) were acceptable in the store.
And no hats on the head.
:)

The Akubra Territory arrived today. Looks like very good quality. Ignore the old man under the cover.

C50ADBE6-7A9A-42AB-B783-3E07C08040C7.jpeg

I wear hats almost every time I step out the door. Either for warmth due to being a wee thin on top or, having been a redhead, for shade from the sun. My crushable hat that packs well is a Wallaroo Explorer. Also have one of their Jaspers, which is a more rigid style. I recently picked up a Tula Gardener with a 4" brim. All of the Tula hats are handwoven from palm in Mexico. In addition, most all of the hats from these companies are SPF rated for sun protection.

I think wide-brimmed hats are very good "covers" where you aren't moving through the trees and brush. They keep the direct rays of the sun from burning your face, ears and neck. Critters that might drop down on you will probably not get into your hair and the sun protection is very good from mid-morning to mid-afternoon.

Some prefer a baseball-type hat with a rear flap but that leaves your ears exposed and part of your neck.

I think where you are going to be traveling may dictate if a baseball hat, a GI boonie hat or something along the lines of a stylish Akubra shown above would be what your need. I like the boonie (ugly but efficient) because you can cram it into anything and it looks as bad as it did before you treated it that way...

For around camp. maybe a plain-old baseball hat but if I was going to be doing a lot of hiking where shade from trees was not available, then the full brimmed hat style would be good.

I think the baseball style hats with the "beavertail" soft neck protection are great. Nothing like a sunburned neck and ears to ruin a night's sleep!

I also wear baseball style caps frequently, particularly if it's windy. If in intense sun, to keep the side of my face protected I sometimes wear a bandana under the ball cap & draped down the back and side of my head. Forgot to mention that all 3 of the brimmed hats I mentioned in my earlier post have relatively stiff brims that will not flex or blow up in a moderate wind.

REi paddling hat, covers well, floats, machine washable and not expensive.

Whatever hat style you like, my goal is for sun protection.

A string is a must as the wind sends them as a sail. As windy day back up the string end is looped through the top shirt button or pack strap.

Some people with less side head hair avoid the vented mesh as it allows the sun to burn the skin.

Not all hats come with a chinstrap and they are kinda uncomfortable anyway....

You've all seen those "lanyards" to hang your All Access passes on at concerts, races and other events, right?
You can attach the clip to the headband at the rear or the adjustment strap/Velcro, slip the lanyard over your head and feel safe that there is no way you are going to lose that baseball or similar style cap/hat in high winds while hiking or riding in an open jeep, etc.

While it does not make for a fashion statement, you get points for originality when guys say, "Hey, that's a cool way to keep from losing your favorite hat/cap!".

Not sure how to secure a full-brim or half-brimmed one.

PackRat said:
. . . Not sure how to secure a full-brim or half-brimmed one.
I have stampede strings on my work cowboy hats: https://www.davidmorgan.com/shop/product/1444/stampede-string

I have tried retaining clips but they don't feel right and don't hold as well: https://www.amazon.com/Chums-11106-Cap-Eyewear-Retainer/dp/B0013BLY4G/ref=sr_1_4?hvadid=241944375731&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9019554&hvnetw=s&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14836296701842968882&hvtargid=aud-649564993678%3Akwd-3149710530&keywords=hat+retainer&qid=1553894444&s=gateway&sr=8-4

With a wind shedding shape just a slight tilt of the head into the wind takes care of the problem most of the time.

I prefer Tilleys. The two I own are light, vented, do just fine in the wind (use the strap correctly) and are guaranteed, even against loss.

I have to agree with CSG on the Tilley hat, I have two also, one for the yard work and one for the truck/camper. I have had both of them for several years and have no complaints.

Back
Top Bottom