Camping in Eastern National Forests

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew
Can any of you Easterners give me info on dispersed car camping in the Eastern national forests? I've camped in some developed CGs but never wandered much on the dirt roads. I know many of the eastern NFs are not very large, have many private inholdings and are near populated areas. Just wondered if they had stricter rules for pulling to the side of a FS road and setting up camp? I'm sure the rules must vary some from forest to forest.

Howdy Stew,

Yes, your generalization about Eastern NFs is pretty much on point, in my experience, at least. Some of the NF units are VERY small, such as Uwharrie and Croatan here in NC, and there are very small NFs in SC and GA, too. The smaller NFs tend to be in the Piedmont and Coastal Plain. Generally speaking, the NFs are larger and to a lesser extent laced with inholdings in the Foothills, the Blue Ridge, the Smokies, and the mountains west of the core of the Appalachians (here described as the Blue Ridge and Smokies). The western mountains include the Alleghanies in VA and WV, where the principal NFs are the George Washington and Jefferson NF in westernmost and Southwest VA, the Monongahela NF in WV, the Cherokee NF in TN, and the Chattahoochee in northern GA's mountains.

I would say, in general, there are lots and lots of disbursed camping opportunities particularly in the mountain NFs. It can be more difficult to find a truly secluded site, as pretty much every single square yard of land will eventually host a tree if it's not kept trampled down, mowed, or driven across. The result is that simple pull-offs may be fewer and farther between in the more secluded parts of the larger mountain NFs just because they get overgrown.

The Eastern NFs have MVUMs which are printed on cheap newsprint or downloadable. Areas where disbursed camping is not allowed are generally shown on MVUMs, though there may be local variations.

Due to population density, you can expect disbursed camping sites to be harder to find unoccupied during the Spring trout fishing seasons, late Spring through Summer weekends, and during the Fall hunting seasons. Trout fishing and hunting seasons vary widely from state to state and even within a state's boundaries.

And, unfortunately, NFs can draw rowdies from nearby towns and cities, especially on weekends. The good news is that, like everywhere else, knuckleheads tend to be lazy, so you don't often find them far off of a fairly decent road nor far from town.

I've spent time in the Pisgah NF in NC, Cherokee NF in TN, and the George Washington-Jefferson NFs in VA, with a bit of time in the Monongahela NF in WV. If you have particular interests in those areas, let me know, and I might can provide more specific info.

FB

I agree it can be difficult to find good dispersed sites, even though it is allowed. Usually rules require being off the road or at least not impeding travel on the road, vegetation and soil must not be harmed and depending on the overgrowth those sites can be hard to find. We've had good luck targeting the rustic forest service campgrounds. Fees are usually low or free, depending on available services. As Foy mentioned, Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) are a good resource.

That's a good point about considering the smaller primitive NF campgrounds. Many of them are about as remote as you'll find within Eastern NF units, and outside of trout season and hunting season, may be practically deserted, especially midweek.

Foy

Thanks for the tips, Foy and Takeiteasy! I'll definitely track down some MVUMs for the forests I plan on visiting.

Wow impressive answer Foy. Thank you.
I'm in the Lake Norman area but rarely have more than a night to get away. Have you found any places closer than Uwharrie to me? I wonder if anyone has made an interactive map of NC for this.

If you're in the Lake Norman area, no, I think there are no NF or other public lands closer than Uwharrie. That said, there is more to the Uwharrie NF than the well-known and heavily used ORV trail system. It could be difficult to fine truly fine and vacant disbursed campsites, but surely some can be found. Being in Raleigh myself, I've just never had any real opportunity to explore the UNF other than on a drive-by basis.

You position north of Charlotte does, however, put you within striking distance of the Pisgah NF along the southern slopes of Grandfather Mountain. A large section of the PNF occupies the space S-SE of the Blue Ridge Parkway, west of US 321, east of Morganton, and north of NC 90. With Grandfather Mtn at just under 6,000' and the Johns River bottom just under 1,000', there is as much topographic relief there as anywhere else in the Southern Appalachians. The area includes some wilderness, an ORV trail system geared towards ATVs and motos, extensive hiking trails, and all grades of trout waters. You can probably reach this part of the Pisgah NF in an hour and a half from Lake Norman.

You're also within striking distance of the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area, part of the Jefferson NF within the southern tier of counties in Virginia along the NC border. For a good 30-40 miles westward (from I-77) along the border, you'll find NF and county roads, some trails, some small wilderness areas, Grayson Highlands State Park, the Virginia Creeper Trail, the Appalachian Trail, the delightful town of Damascus (aka "Trail City, USA"), many other hiking trails and single-track MTB trails. A small, primitive NF CG of the sort mentioned above is Comer's Rock CG, and it's readily accessible a few miles west of US 21 north of Independence, VA. A nice set of county and NF roads connects Comer's Rock CG with I-77 at the 24 milepost in VA, located at a point likely < 2 hours north of Lake Norman.

Enjoy!

Foy

Much respect Foy. I have shared your response with a friend from Raleigh, a non WTWer. You have a fan base now. Can you answer the same question for the Raleigh area? Good one night getaway spots.

Sure, no problem. Probably best to PM me rather than have Stew's original thread drift to more specific NC sites than he'd originally queried about.

Foy

Foy...spot on with your posts!

We've driven all around NC, TN, VA and a bit of WV looking for dispersed camping sites...without a whole lot of success.

Wife is from Waynesville so we've scoured western NC for remote 4x4 popup camper camping...not much success.

Bro-in-Law is the now retired Superintendent for Great Smokey Mtns NP and he didn't have much advise either...other than "head out west" which we already do.

Heading out west for a 3 month long trip 3rd week of March.

We're in Cary.

Back
Top Bottom