Camping in my New 2012 Raven (Silver) with pictures

Conrgats on the camper! Can you speak to the quality and comfortability of the mattress and sleeping arrangements?

The mattress up top is hard. Not uncomfortable but hard (they will probably break in a bit). I found them easy to sleep on though because they are way more comfortable than the ground. :)

The dinette fold down is softer and fits my daughter OK. But anyone taller than 5 feet will have to bend their legs. I removed the table post brackets, and the fire extinguisher bracket from the deck beside the dinette, to allow more width. However the fold over seat has the hinges on the side that stick up like half an inch above the pads so they could dig in to a sleeper. Our plan is to get a small roll up foam bed or air mattress to give more width and cover those hinge things.

We had two nights to learn a bit, but we have much more to learn. One thing is we sleep east/west oriented on the bunk and once I almost rolled off the bunk while adjusting my sleeping bag. Haha - scared the crap of me...

Scuse the dumb guy but what's a Raven as opposed to a Hawk? I missed the memo.

From the FWC website Products page:

FWC-Raven-Hawk.jpg

Pop Top fabric:

I never really used the old stuff so I may be a bad judge...

It looks and feels really durable.

Scuse the dumb guy but what's a Raven as opposed to a Hawk? I missed the memo.

Simple, it's 10" shorter than the Hawk to fit shorter beds

No, it is an option. I got the new grey interior in my camper, I like it but it is not for everybody.

I love it. I am not sure how it is so "exotic" to some people - it's just different shades of grey. :)

My problem is that in the United States the "fake wood" (usually birch or oak) and blue/brown cloth has been done for 50 years. Every damn camper in the country has stupid blues and wood-tones. :)

Also, probably 75% of the campers on the road have white exteriors. I felt the silver was at least a little less common (although some of the huge fancy bus type RVs have more colors - mainly because they cost more than my house...)

Grays are much more neutral in my opinion.

Also, I am an Oakland Raiders fan so the camper fits in with my whole motif quite nicely.

NOTE: it is not a cheap option. I figured I was building a brand new one and was financing the darn thing anyway so I might as well add on the option to make it more appealing to me in the long term. If you are on a strict budget, something like $600 for a different color is kinda pricey. I am not sure what about it makes it cost FWC $600 more (if in fact they are using them on their european models they should have the materials in stock) because I don't see any difference in the materials other than the laminant and whatnot...

I added an air deflector. Maybe it will help a small bit both with highway fuel economy and bugs on the camper.

Anyone know of any options for the sides? It seems like some sort of plastic bubble shape thing could be mounted to the jack brackets and help smooth the air that hits the sides of the camper at the back of the cab. Something like these nose cones.

IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

I love it. I am not sure how it is so "exotic" to some people - it's just different shades of grey. :)

NOTE: it is not a cheap option. I figured I was building a brand new one and was financing the darn thing anyway so I might as well add on the option to make it more appealing to me in the long term. If you are on a strict budget, something like $600 for a different color is kinda pricey. I am not sure what about it makes it cost FWC $600 more (if in fact they are using them on their european models they should have the materials in stock) because I don't see any difference in the materials other than the laminant and whatnot...

I think it looks great.
smile.gif

In this case, "exotic" just means "different" -- different than what most FWCs have looked like.
If it had been available when I ordered mine -- and if I wasn't so "thrifty" -- I'd have ordered the same interior.

Love the silver....and agree that I don't care for the "wood" used in most "rv" vehicles. The silver option is, in fact, the only possible way that I have any hope of allowing the CFO (wife) to even consider agreeing to consider a FWC. I think it looks great on your truck and hopefully, soon, the will be a silver one on my truck! $600 isn't that bad, one of the fwc salespeople quoted me $400 for the silver exterior, and $600 for the interior........I think he was mistaken, but $1000 would be worth it to not have a white one! Enjoy your awesome silver fwc..thanks for pairing all the photos.

The sliver with gray interior looks great. I'm torn with the interior. I like the wood accents. maybe that with the gray mattress and seats would work well too. In your most recent pics I see the top is still white. Eh. With my next truck, most likely white (or silver)3rd gen tacoma, the silver would look great but white will work too.

Till that day I still enjoy slumming it in my flippac.

In your most recent pics I see the top is still white. Eh. With my next truck, most likely white (or silver)3rd gen tacoma, the silver would look great but white will work too.

Yes, the top is white. I am guessing this is either to reduce cost or complexity as the "one piece aluminum top" may be made in a separate process or facility or whatnot. But it is also good for reflecting heat in the summer, as the silver/grey would absorb more heat (similar to how most school and city buses sport white roofs).

The white doesn't look bad, because they have other white highlights in trim pieces so it looks like white trim and fits in fine.

I was lucky, because I didn't order a ton of accessories, but in other pictures I have seen some of the accessories have white crap on the outside which makes the drivers side less attractive, as many of the plastic doors and vents and whatnot are white. Like hot water heater, fridge, etc etc...

Here are the costs for that new interior.

If you want the Grey Euro Interior and the Silver Exterior, the total cost would only be $ 600.00

But we can split things up if you want ...

SILVER SPUR CAMPER – UPGRADE CHARGE

$600.00 - BOTH INTERIOR & EXTERIOR Black/Grey European design – NOT including upgraded flush mount glass top appliances.

$400.00 - INTERIOR ONLY Black/Grey European designs – NOT including upgraded flat top appliances.

$300.00 - EXTERIOR ONLY – Silver/Back European Design.

$600.00 – UPGRADED FLUSH MOUNT GLASS TOP APPLIANCES (Sink & stove)

... one of the fwc salespeople quoted me $400 for the silver exterior, and $600 for the interior........I think he was mistaken, but $1000 would be worth it to not have a white one! Enjoy your awesome silver fwc..thanks for pairing all the photos.

Back
Top Bottom