Camping Tips if You Have a Pet?

A rechargable blinking LED light on the collar is very helpful at night, particularly if you're in an area where it's reasonable to have them off leash. Particularly in the winter when "night" starts at 5:30 PM. After burning through a couple non-rechargeable (and non-waterproof) ones, we sprang for a waterproof rechargeable option from Ruffwear and have used it daily for years without issue.

A bear bell or jingle bell can be similarly helpful during the day. The sound lets you know where the dog is, also helps keep the dog from surprising anyone/anything else. It's particularly good for running/skiing/biking where the dog might be behind you. Obviously you should only do this if the sound isn't going to be a nuisance to you and others—on trails where there are other people around to be bothered by it, I probably won't have the dog off leash anyway.

Not a bad idea! Anyway back to camping kitties! In all these years I have seen only two camping kiddie experiments-one successful-one not! As a starter, I have never owned a cat that given a choice, would have anything to do with any vehicle. Many years ago I was camping up at Manchester SP on the Northern California Coast when this flat bed truck pulls into a nearby camp spot. The camper itself was rather unusual in that it looked like one of those "Ginger Bread Shingle " houses you saw in the old fairy tales (really). Anyway this guy gets out and he has this very pissed off and unhappy looking cat in a halter and lease and starts to pull it down the road in an unsuccessful attempt to walk it.

Case number two, I was in the parking lot of the local super mart when a big RV pulls up and this gal gets out ( as her husband goes into the store) and begins to walk a cat and with no problems at all-just like you would a dog! It looked happy and did not fight the lease. So I asked her how she could do that with the kitty, and the answer was simple , they was retired and her cat was raised from kitty hood to like both the rv and taking a walk and a pee just like a dog would! So back to the original question, what ever pet you take camping-including parrots- ya got to train them (and yourself too) or you could have a very unhappy camping trip.

Smoke

HenrySmith said:
[SIZE=16pt]I haven’t ever camped with a pet before but I read its very common. What would be your tips for those people who would like to camp with dog?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Thanks[/SIZE]

Another thing to consider if it hasn't been brought up already is many areas (popular national parks in particular) strictly limit where pets are allowed even if on a leash.

One challenge is what to do with the dogs when you want to run into a grocery store or museum. I have a gun safe that I have cabled to a seat. I put anything worth stealing into the safe. I then leave the windows down when I leave. There is nothing to steal except my dogs (horror if that happens). Depending on the location, sometimes I try to be only gone 5 minutes. But at some locations like the Tonopah Outdoor Mining Museum, I was comfortable leaving my old dog for an hour on a rather cool day. The young dog visited the museum with me.

As for leaving dogs in the vehicle- I've built systems to leave the vehicle running, AC on, doors locked, windows up and vehicle cannot be driven, no key in it, shifter is locked, steering is locked.
I also monitor audio from the vehicle interior via 2 way radio.
Even have a thermometer with a setpoint and audio alarm in case AC fails.

More than once I've run out from a quick lunch to barking from the vehicle fearing the worst- but luckily it has always been triggered by something external. Also have a placard on the dash with my cell number if there is a problem.

Love to know how to set something like that up in mine. I currently open the back slider window in the cab... built a screen window so it is always open for the dog. But something like you have would make me feel better when I travel south and it is hot out. I have a diesel truck and feel okay about running it... rather use my batteries in camper to run the AC but that is probably too complex ... Anyway would like to know how to set up what you have.

buckland said:
Love to know how to set something like that up in mine. I currently open the back slider window in the cab... built a screen window so it is always open for the dog. But something like you have would make me feel better when I travel south and it is hot out. I have a diesel truck and feel okay about running it... rather use my batteries in camper to run the AC but that is probably too complex ... Anyway would like to know how to set up what you have.
The problem is every particular vehicle model is different- no one design works.
There are companies that make something like what I described mainly for Police vehicles- might try to search for them and see what they have.

Good tip on the companies that specialize in LE/FRs. They also offer power systems, lighting, etc, but often they’re too complex for our needs. And the prices...? But if it’s the only thing available you might as well get out your checkbook. (If anybody uses a checkbook anymore )

Hey Vic, yes the truck can be locked and started but you’d need to have a key in the ignition for the AC to work. It might be tempting for a thief who sees a truck running with a key... smash and go. But if one has a pit bull with a spike collar I guess the thief would pass it up.!

Vic Harder said:
Huh, my remote starter for the truck does all that. Nothing fancy there. Or am I missing something?
How long will it run on the remote starter?
My 2020 F150 times out in 15mins IIRC and you can hit it once more for another 15 but that is it, again, IIRC.

Never had remote start in any of the vehicles I built a system for. 96 F350 11 FJCruiser 15 and 18 Transit

Haven't yet made one for the F150- may not, if I can extend remote start run time to at least an hour.

Make sure you dog is allowed to go where you are going. Many parks, National Forests, Monuments, State Parks, etc have restrictions on pets. Best to look up where you are going and read the restrictions, if any. Death Valley is quite restrictive.

Six pages of people talking about their pets and no photos?

My tip: if you have a dog like my current doodle, don't let him wander through the fields with you, unless you like spending hours pulling burrs out of his hair. Never had that problem with furry dogs, only the hairy ones.

Attachments

• doodle do.jpg
    doodle do.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom