Campsite Restrictions - Outdoor Shower

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
Over a year ago I read a post on RV.Net about restrictions for use of the outdoor shower at campsites, even with eco-friendly products. Obviously if the campsite has hot indoor showers that would be the place to go. However, where there aren't indoor showers is anyone aware of rules at National Parks, or campsites in general? When boondocking, I would think you would be safe. As the saying goes: "Happy Wife, Happy Life." I went online to a number of National Parks and other campgrounds and didn't find any rules posted. I will just have to ask when I check-in.

I've never had an issue at any CA State Park or Forest Service campground. Both expect you to do your washing at your campsite, not at the spigot, so I just continue that logic from dishes...to myself. Sometimes I'll even use my Zodi Extreme over the built in facilities if it is a busy weekend.

Years ago before shower shelters were real common, I used to have a number of campers and law enforcement stop by to ask what it was. We slept in the camper shell at that time, so the shower shelter was the only thing set up outside. Lots of "how do you sleep in that little tent?" questions.

In June we camped at a National Forrest campground and used our "H2O" 5 gal bag . We were camped near the "Host" who never said a word. We showered every day during the 3-day trip. We don't use a shelter - just wear bathing suits. Bag was hanging over a grassy area, and we put a small blue tarp under it to reduce mud.

I doubt we would use the "outside" camper shower (if we had one) because camper is parked on dirt and I don't like the muddy area around the truck and the park rules forbid ground water (which is reason we use an approved grey water container).

Jim, you bring up a good point. Since I am coming from a wilderness backpacking background not a campground background, what is required out there for an "approved grey water container"?

Camping World sells what they call an Outside Shower Deck. It folds in the middle and is just big enough to keep the shower hand nozzle in when folded back against itself. I use it all the time both in remote camps and also primitive state camps. If crowded, I do the swimsuit thing after dark. Mine has split and broken several times and I just stick it back together with Gorilla Glue every once in a while. It could easily be reproduced out of teak but then it would be heavier. Hea, for $20, it's the ticket. No muddy feet. Here is a link....

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-shower-deck/70098

I have read a lot of opinions on outside showering and protocol. My thoughts towards it include leaving the campsite the way I would like to find it, without a mess left by a prior camper.

I tested the outside shower this past weekend, using my old enclosure and teak slats, and stood in a container to catch the majority of the soapy water. It worked well to nearly eliminate any water on the ground in the campsite. The container with the soapy water was dumped elsewhere where it wouldn't cause an issue not enter into any waterway. An hour later the ground and the enclosure were dry. I think this will be my standard practice where the outside shower is used.

There are countless brands of bio-degrade able shower soaps. I also do not leave a mess for the next camper, nor have I ever been asked to not use the shower by an authority or anyone else for that matter. If one wets down, soaps and then rinses you are not really using much water. Most of the time the ground is dry in minutes unless in rainy conditions then what difference does it make? No ground water contamination here...... Clean camp too......

Timothy the bag and collapsible hose I mention in my build post is "approved", however any container that captures the gray water is ok. The issue in developed state and federal parks is "ground water". I use that one because it is easier to stow than a hose and container.

Desert Dave, what kind of a container do you stand in when you shower? The teak grate is a good idea too.

Who does the approving? Is there some kind of certification process for use in certain state or national parks, like bear cans when hiking?

RC Pilot Jim said:
Desert Dave, what kind of a container do you stand in when you shower? The teak grate is a good idea too.
The grate I used was/is similar, if not the same, as the one referenced above my post by Kispoix. It was nice to step onto when done showering.

As far as container, I wanted something that wouldn't break or crack if it was on an unlevel hard surface. I was going to use one of my 18 gallon Rubbermaid containers that I use for paddling gear, but sprung for a ten gallon one just before the trip, and it worked fine and has the advantage of being smaller. I could slide it into and out of the shower enclosure without needing to use the door. Anything you can stand in comfortably enough that will hold water would work. Best idea would be a container that you own and use already, making it multi-purpose.

DesertDave said:
The grate I used was/is similar, if not the same, as the one referenced above my post by Kispoix. It was nice to step onto when done showering.

As far as container, I wanted something that wouldn't break or crack if it was on an unlevel hard surface. I was going to use one of my 18 gallon Rubbermaid containers that I use for paddling gear, but sprung for a ten gallon one just before the trip, and it worked fine and has the advantage of being smaller. I could slide it into and out of the shower enclosure without needing to use the door. Anything you can stand in comfortably enough that will hold water would work. Best idea would be a container that you own and use already, making it multi-purpose.
I carry 4 18 gallon container loaded with firewood and other things. Works great to catch the shower water. Dual purposing things is the way to go.

Our first big trip will be to Great Smoky National Park in October. Theses are the rules pertaining to Waste Water
"Dish water and bath water must be drained at utility sinks or dump stations, not on the ground. Do not wash or bathe in streams or at water fountains. RV sewage should be drained only at a dump station. Showers and utility hookups are not available in the park. Showers may be available in nearby towns."

longhorn1 said:
Our first big trip will be to Great Smoky National Park in October. Theses are the rules pertaining to Waste Water
"Dish water and bath water must be drained at utility sinks or dump stations, not on the ground. Do not wash or bathe in streams or at water fountains. RV sewage should be drained only at a dump station. Showers and utility hookups are not available in the park. Showers may be available in nearby towns."
If you have room in your truck bed add a gray water tank. Your F250 should have more room than my Tundra. It is nice to pull in and not have to get a bucket out to use the sink. Picture below is my first tank. My second tank fills from the front. Do a search for gray water tanks and you should find several.
gallery_1903_342_105343.jpg

The term "gray" comes from water after you put soap in it.
At the moment we r sitting in a full hookup site at "Campland" on Mission Bay" San Diego doing water sports with the grand kids and enjoying the eye candy.

We have a full hook-up site. Just using electric. We r capturing the sink water in a plastic container and pouring it in to the sewer pipe. We have a great view of the bay surrounded on 3 sides by 35-40 foot motor homes and trailers...and I,m busy doing "show and tell" and handing out brochures. There is a lot of interest in my little FWC.

Back
Top Bottom