Can anyone recommend a few spots for western side of Sierras?

verynice

After exploring the Eastern Sierras the past half dozen or so years, we were thinking of looking for some solitude on the western side this fall. I have never been on this side and was wondering if anyone could recommend some spots? Our favorite spots on the east side (that are more well known) have been areas like Soda Springs, Rock Creek, etc. and would like some options that along those lines or more "primitive". Like everyone else here, we are not very fond of "camping" next to a class A or anywhere with hookups for that matter. Thanks in advance :)

First of all you need to understand the geography so you are not disappointed. The sierras are thrusted up along a break point. There is a slow gentle climb up the western side, and a dramatic drop off the eastern side. So if you are looking for those beautiful, craggy mountains that you are used to, you won't find it. Everything on the western side is more subtle. It is more about the forest than the rocks, if you get the distinction. Of course we have Yosemite, Sequoias, and Tahoe, so it isn't like we are devoid of charm, I just want you to understand that it is quite different. Each of the East-West highways has a little difference, and everyone has their preferences, usually determined by their starting point and proximity. I live off highway 108, so that is my starting point. But I love them all.

verynice said:
After exploring the Eastern Sierras the past half dozen or so years, we were thinking of looking for some solitude on the western side this fall. I have never been on this side and was wondering if anyone could recommend some spots? Our favorite spots on the east side (that are more well known) have been areas like Soda Springs, Rock Creek, etc. and would like some options that along those lines or more "primitive". Like everyone else here, we are not very fond of "camping" next to a class A or anywhere with hookups for that matter. Thanks in advance :)
Like Bseek said,everyone has their favorite spots.I have found hwy 108,Sonora Pass road very nice.Lots of camping spots around the Deadmans Creek area (Kennedy Meadow) and above.
My fav area is the hwy 4 Ebbetts Pass area,less used and some nice spots that have lake camping.See my blog and some of my posts.
Ski has loads of knowledge as do other members,so I am sure you will get a lot of good info.
Hope we can be of some help.
Frank

While thats probably true the Western slope has no lack of stunning scenery. Highway 88 is a must if you've never driven it. It also doesn't lack for dispersed camping. The Eldorado NF even just opened up some more roads to travel. A better idea of your itinerary would help.

craig333 said:
While thats probably true the Western slope has no lack of stunning scenery. Highway 88 is a must if you've never driven it. It also doesn't lack for dispersed camping. The Eldorado NF even just opened up some more roads to travel. A better idea of your itinerary would help.
True Craig,the western slope has a great deal of fantastic places.The 108/4/88 hwy passes have loads of camping places.One thing though check as to when some of them close for the season,camping spots.Roads 108/4 close at usually first snow.Also the area around Gold Lake offers some great spots.There is so much out there.A better idea of your wants/itinerary would help.
Frank

We live in the foothills of the southern Sierra and have used the book "Exploring the Southern Sierra: West Side" by J.C. Jenkins and Ruby Johnson Jenkins (published by Wilderness Press, Berkeley, CA) quite a bit through the years. It comes with a map and would provide a good starting point for your explorations. You could then expand the scope of your travels as you pick up additional literature from ranger stations, talking with locals, etc. As others have already said, the west side is no less breath taking that the east side . . . . just in a different way - enjoy!

Missing Link said:
We live in the foothills of the southern Sierra and have used the book "Exploring the Southern Sierra: West Side" by J.C. Jenkins and Ruby Johnson Jenkins (published by Wilderness Press, Berkeley, CA) quite a bit through the years. It comes with a map and would provide a good starting point for your explorations. You could then expand the scope of your travels as you pick up additional literature from ranger stations, talking with locals, etc. As others have already said, the west side is no less breath taking that the east side . . . . just in a different way - enjoy!
Haven't run across that book.Thanks for the heads up.Sounds like a good one to search through.
Thanks.
Frank

No body mentions Calaveras Big Trees State Park to see some of the large Giant Sequoias not as big as Kings Canyon but between the 2 groves over 1100 trees. The north Grove is a pleasant walk with over 100 trees and the South Grove has over 1000 and is almost a day's hike. This time of the year is getting empty and not hot but still pleasant.

Oh yeah, Big Trees is worth a trip. I usually forget to mention places like that since I've been there and done that. Our State and National parks are almost always worth exploring. You don't get that designation for nothing.

Thanks for the great suggestions. We will be traveling from northern San Diego and have the week. We really have no itinerary other than the week to relax and get home. We are still deciding between the western slope, eastern sierras, north coastal redwoods, and Big Sur. There is so much "icing" that we've been spoiled by in CA that we wanted to maybe find something new that's a little closer to home. Basically "all" we want are breathtaking views, cool weather, some fishing and isolation...
How about Kaiser Pass road?, my wife really seems to like the looks of it....from internet pictures...

verynice said:
Thanks for the great suggestions. We will be traveling from northern San Diego and have the week. We really have no itinerary other than the week to relax and get home. We are still deciding between the western slope, eastern sierras, north coastal redwoods, and Big Sur. There is so much "icing" that we've been spoiled by in CA that we wanted to maybe find something new that's a little closer to home. Basically "all" we want are breathtaking views, cool weather, some fishing and isolation...
How about Kaiser Pass road?, my wife really seems to like the looks of it....from internet pictures...
Big Sur is great,BUT there are so many people still there and no fishing.
Just came back from the north coast redwoods.Very nice less people quiet and camping spots are first come,first serve.
These camping areas are hard to get into before labor day,but now they don't take reservations so it makes it a bit easier.
Have a good trip.
Frank

sequoia.jpgThanks for all the suggestions. Ended up going to Cold Springs in the Sequoias- Highly recommended, it is a 2-3 hour one lane road that is not accessible to rv's with great scenery and isolated campgrounds. Then to Big Sur, we got the nicest spot at Kirk Creek, explored the Los Padres and the private beaches.

Back
Top Bottom