Can I put a FWC/ATC on this?

I'm not sure ?

We usually have 1 or 2 people a year contact us that have these.

But most of the people just talk, talk, talk, talk, and no action for some reason.

It is a great idea, the Unimogs are really not that expensive.

I think there is a dealership in the Bay Area that imposts them (old, used models) for around $ 10,000 - $ 15,000.

The only concern I have heard around here is how well a pop-up camper would really hold up on those truck beds.

I believe the truck bed is totally independent from the cab, allowing the bed to flex and get wild and crazy, separate from the truck cab.

There might just be TOO much bed flex.

Just my 2 cents worth ...

I've seen 3 Unimogs

The geology department at my college had an Unimog with what looked like a factory utility bed and an Alaskan camper on it. I asked one of the department heads if the bed was an after market item and he said "Do you think we could find an after market bed to fit an Unimog?" That thing also had a top speed of about 50 MPH.

I met a guy in the Saline Valley with an Unimog which had what looked like a factory utility bed and a factory pop up camper. He was a geologist with a Germany company and he used his rig all around the world - mostly recently in Africa. He was in the USA for a 3 month vacation. I didn't ask him if the bed and camper where factory items, but they fit so well it was clear that is was designed for his Unimog. It's top speed wasn't much better than the geology department's. BTW, there were 6 or more steps from the ground to the camper on his fold out stair case.

Finally, just a few weeks ago I was traveling Historic Route 66 in California, which is just a few miles south of Interstate 40 when I came up behind a truck with 2 spare tires on the back and warning signs stating it was a right hand drive vehicle. As I quickly passed it doing 60 MPH I realized it was a newer Unimog. Before I could get on the radio to tell my friend following me, we were both past it. They are great off road, but I don't think even the new ones have much of an on road top speed.

Unimog...

I love them and would love to have a diesel model. They seem to be one of the most used vehicle for "RTW" round-the-world European travelers. I have seen many in Alaska and in Latin America and all were purpose built hardbody camper rigs. In Europe, unlike here, there seem to be many companies that will build you a rig like that. There are a couple here like Eathroamer that will build custom rigs like that but it seems they are building them on new trucks only.
One of the nicest I have seen was in Baja where there was a couple from Switzerland, he an artist and her a botanist and they were traveling the worlds desert areas doing research and detailed drawings of cactus. They were not very willing to talk with people (apparently tired of lookyloos wanting to know about their rig) and actually had a nice little sign on the side of their rig refering people to their website for info.
Brian in NM

Unimog...

Wow Ted....I spent an hour just checking out the details on that website....What a great job he has done with his camper...or roam-home. Thanks for that link.
Brian

Unimog

Actually a camper will go on one of those. It is the same as building one for a flat bed truck. you don't have the stair step in the camper bottom so it allows for a lot more room inside the camper. We built a flat bed model years ago and it was like a small apartment inside.

Actually a camper will go on one of those. It is the same as building one for a flat bed truck. you don't have the stair step in the camper bottom so it allows for a lot more room inside the camper. We built a flat bed model years ago and it was like a small apartment inside.

Do you think you would build something like that again?

I think the problem would be - is ANY camper really going to survive the kind of off-road abuse those Mogs are built for?

DD-

I was thinking the same thing until I read that guy's site. It seems the mog has a zero flex subframe, so the camper experiences no flex. If so, that would be way cool.

Building the camper might not be that hard, we have done similar designs here and there.

The hard part might be keeping the neighbors happy.

I'm not sure I would want my neighbor parking something like that in front of my house !

Laughs

:)

I"d love to be that guys neighbor. Not so sure he'd like to live next to me though ;)

They sure do look cool. Not so sure how practical though.

unimog camper

I believe it would hold up just fine on the unimog. We are working with a customer now to build a flat bed camper so I would have to say that yes, we would build another. Just depends on how busy we are at the time as to how long it would take.

GOOD EYE !

on new campers going on ford ranger trucks, we notch the camper base for a proper fit

that small hump in the rear, drivers side of the truck bed is for the second gas tank filler hose -- but in USA they don't offer that option on those trucks

=========================================================

Completely off subject I was wondering if any of you have a Ranger. It doesn’t seem that an ATC/FWC would fit in the bed because behind the driver side wheel well there is a wedge shaped encroachment stamped into the bed so the broader 51” rearmost part of the camper floor would not be able to sit on the floor behind the wheel well. I looked under the truck there is nothing there that would have necessitated this stamping for clearance.

Attachments

• Camper Base Notched.JPG
    Camper Base Notched.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 232
Hump....

I have that hump in my Mazda B4000 (Ranger) truck bed and I had built a 2x4 framework on the bed to raise the camper up 1 1/2" so the bump would not bother it. While I was at ATC having a new sideliner installed and the camper was off the truck, a singlejack sledge hammer took care of the issue and I was able to chuck the wood frame. Lowered the camper to where it was supposed to be.
Brian in NM

Hump...

Yeah I hear you Homemade.....Ben just let me borrow the hammer...they didn't actually use it ;)....they showed how a new camper would be made with a notch there and actually offered to alter mine...for an hourly rate.....I found the hammer a good solution for me since I don't think anyone will install a rear tank on my rig and it is a dedicated camper hauler with the camper on at all times since I had the springs beefed up with two additional leaves.:)
Brian

Hammer....

Oh Yeah Brother....When I was a new mechanic working for the NPS in Denali Nat'l. Park, I asked the other mechanic why he like working on all the heavy equipment so much...he replied, "I can use a bigger hammer"!:D I loved that remark and we always had plenty of BIG hammers around. I learned to wield one just fine. I always suspected that he liked having to use the forklift to haul parts around as well though! ;)

Cheers
Brian in NM

1957 Unimog for sale - $7000

I saw an add in a local auto recycler magazine for a '57 Unimog with something like 40,000 miles for $7,000. If anyone is interested, I can find it and post the specifics. I would love to see a FWC on the back of one of those.

Back
Top Bottom