Can Jacks Lower FWC to Floor?

cs0430

Looking at taking the camper off for the first time. I have a buddy with a commercial warehouse who's letting me keep it in his place, but he might need to move it around. Wondering if I can use a couple 1,000lb capacity furniture dolly's to rest it on so I don't need to build a dolly myself. or will they be too low and the jacks will bottom out before they hit the dolly's? I do see most folks build their dolly's higher than these sit:

Which camper do you have? I have a Grandby slide-in. The full size campers probably go lowest because they are bigger and the same Reico jacks are sold with all models as far as I know. My Grandby cannot be lowered to the floor. With the jacks fully retracted, the floor skids are 6.5 to 7 inches above the floor. A model intended for mid-size trucks is probably around 3 inches higher, but I’m guessing at that.

Looking at taking the camper off for the first time. I have a buddy with a commercial warehouse who's letting me keep it in his place, but he might need to move it around. Wondering if I can use a couple 1,000lb capacity furniture dolly's to rest it on so I don't need to build a dolly myself. or will they be too low and the jacks will bottom out before they hit the dolly's? I do see most folks build their dolly's higher than these sit:

Forgot to use “reply” on my first post to cause you to get a notification.

They might (probably) will bottom out but you can fab up some brackets to lower further, I have aluminum angle bolted to my jacks with holes extending down so I can drop a camper all the way down.

cs0430, et. al.,

Based on my personal experience the jacks will not allow your camper to go low enough for the floor pack to contact the Harbor Freight dollies at the link you posted (I have several of them in my garage).

I found that larger diameter wheels work best if your driveway has any slope or unevenness. I originally had swivel 4" diameter wheels from home depot and they ultimately broke and were a pita when I would try to push the dolly around with the camper on it. I now have 6" diameter wheels on my camper platform dolly. Also the wheel material should be considered as well. That will depend on your driveway surface, smooth cement vs asphalt or some other rough surface.

I bought my casters online from Caster City and got a good price. I am happy with their products and customer service helping me select and appropriate caster for my driveway (rough surface pavers and a slope)

I made my dolly platform as low as I could to allow opening the top of the camper in the garage (with the 6" wheels it won't quite fully open but far enough to do work or keep the vinyl from creasing.

I use 6x6 cut blocks that are 8" tall to put under the foot of each jack so I can get the camper off of my truck because it is too high for the jacks on my sloped driveway. But that leaves the floor pack too high for my platform so I have left over wood 8"x12" beam sections spanning the width of the platform front and back so I do not have to go through the extra step of removing the blocks under the camper legs (one at a time) so that I can lower the camper all the way down on the platform - when I leave it on the drveway. When I bring it into the garage I lower the camper all the way down on the platform after removing the 8"x12" wood beam spacers (yes that requires me to lift the camper with the jacks to remove the beam sections.

I hope this is helpful.

Craig

Just get one of the harbor freight trailers and use that.. perfect application and you don't have to lower the camper all that much to get it on there..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom