Can you order a FWC with options deleted?

kifo4173

Has anyone tried/talked to a dealer or the factory about ordering a FWC with options deleted? For example, wiring in place but no IQ4 charger or battery? Looking at ordering a nearly fully optioned Fleet Flatbed but wanted to delete these options.

Reason I'm asking: I'd rather wire my own converter/inverter unit spec'd for Li parameters. Yes, I'm aware the Li drop ins can charge from the IQ4, but the charging parameters aren't ideal. I'd rather not waste the money/waste the components pulling them out.

Has anyone ever deleted an option or spoken with FWC? Receptive at all? Cheers.

Also-is anyone else shocked FWC doesn't offer a small hardwired inverter option? So simple for them to install to a single switched outlet...Many customers would order even a small 300w one for charging computers.

I planned on a lithium setup for my fleet flatbed, and the dealer said he could delete the battery and credited me the cost of the battery. In the end it came with the battery anyway - so clearly FWC didn't accept the change.

We never plug in, so I have considered pulling the Iota out of my camper and selling it, but it is not that heavy or expensive, so I never got around to doing it. I did install a 300W Victron inverter in the electrical box (under the fuse panel) where it fits nicely. Easy project and likely much cheaper than having FWC do it.

I also think IOTA has gone back to selling external interchangeable IQ4 modules now that they have different modules for different battery types, so depending on which one FWC installs you may just be able to switch out the IQ4 module, or remove it all together.

FWC is somewhat inflexible when it comes to deleting certain features.

I asked the former owner, Tom about this...his reply was understandable. To paraphrase, FWC does not build "custom" campers. The manufacturing process is setup to build the camper's along stations in the factory. You can order the base model and add options. To deviate from the base build or options list would involve extra time and basically be "one offs". With FWC's long standing backlog of orders, FWC does not want to add to the production time of a camper or hold up the assembly line. While understandable from a business model perspective, it does leave a potential buyer wanting for something more and sometimes less.

I ordered my solar system and deleted the batteries at the time I placed the order.

Just to pile on to what Advmoto18 said. I, too, ordered the solar system and dual battery setup, and asked for no batteries. That apparently was easy for FWC to accomodate, as I added my own 6V AGM batteries that I wanted to have.

Things like external charging may not be needed by certain users, but it is apparently desired by enough folks that it is standard, and perhaps should be a re-sale consideration by new buyers, even if they don't feel they will need it. Also, despite the best plans, life circumstances can change, as evidenced by the number of 1-3 year old campers seen in the 'for sale' section.

One of our past FWC we ordered from the factory was a 2002 Ranger. It was different back then as I was able to get it without the turn buckle access doors cut out as I bolted it through the floor to mount. I was also able to get the two large length "L" shaped cushions cut in half and have 4 cushions to access the storage better without moving everything on top.

I hear what you say about resale, by not having the jack brackets on the frame and no turn buckle door access might have limited who could have bought it. Hindsight maybe we should have not done those two deductions. But the camper was sold with the truck.

Campers back then were simpler and did not have all the bells and whistles of modern conveniences. Although I really like all of that now!

Back
Top Bottom