Can you use external tie downs on a 1997 FWC?

hpcbmw

Advanced Member
I've got a 1980s Keystone and it needs work, so I'm thinking of replacing it. I found a 1997 Granby that I'm interested in. The Granby has internal tie downs - I assume they attach to eyebolts in the bed. I've got torklift frame mounted tie downs that I really like, and would prefer to use. Anyone know if there is a way to attach tie down points to the outside of the 1997 Granby? I take the camper off and on pretty regularly, so the external tie downs work better for me.

Also, if I can't use the external tie downs, any problem mounting internal eye bolts in the bed of my 2000 F250 shortbed, to mount the 8' Granby? I expect the Granby to sit about 3/4 of the way on the open tailgate. I'm wondering if the Granby tie downs for the rear will be far enough back that they will be on the tailgate, making it difficult to use rear eyebolts.

The Granby is a 3 1/2 hour drive from me, so I'm trying to do my research before making the long drive.

Thanks for any ideas.

I've got a 1980s Keystone and it needs work, so I'm thinking of replacing it. I found a 1997 Granby that I'm interested in. The Granby has internal tie downs - I assume they attach to eyebolts in the bed. I've got torklift frame mounted tie downs that I really like, and would prefer to use. Anyone know if there is a way to attach tie down points to the outside of the 1997 Granby? I take the camper off and on pretty regularly, so the external tie downs work better for me.

Also, if I can't use the external tie downs, any problem mounting internal eye bolts in the bed of my 2000 F250 shortbed, to mount the 8' Granby? I expect the Granby to sit about 3/4 of the way on the open tailgate. I'm wondering if the Granby tie downs for the rear will be far enough back that they will be on the tailgate, making it difficult to use rear eyebolts.

My Eagle when I bought it was tied down to a Toyota with outside tie downs. He used the torklift spring tie downs, two long two shorter, and on the Eagle these attached to eyebolts which were bolted into the jack supports. Seemed to work fine and he'd had it for 5 years like that, originally set up by FWC.

My Eagle is now mounted on my 2000 Ranger 4x4 on internal tie down eyebolts mounted into the bed. Easy to set up. I may for extra safety add ties between the bolts on the underside of the bed and the frame. Did need to move the rear eyes on the Eagle back as they were located to match the Toyota which put them nearly a foot farther forward than needed. I put reinforcing plates on all 4 of those eyes while at it.

Check with FWC and find out if they can give you the internal tie down measurements, then you can measure your bed as far as inside tie downs. Personally I prefer internal tie downs as in our wooded east too much chance of snagging external tie downs.

Note you better get measurements as far as wheelwell and tailgate clearance. Older campers matched the beds used back then and those tended to be wider in those measurements. You might find it too tight to fit at all. You may also have to put a support platform on your truck, trucks back then were not so high.

The Granby is a 3 1/2 hour drive from me, so I'm trying to do my research before making the long drive.

Thanks for any ideas.

On the roads in Big Bend I broke one of the internal tie down bolts. I used a ratchet tie down strap to hold that corner working off the flanges used for the lift jacks. It got me the 3,000 miles back to Massachusetts. My guess is external is just as good if not better. But at sustained speeds of over 100 mph there might be significant drag.

If you use the flanges for mounting the jacks as mentioned above the Tork-lifts work fine.

Thanks for he input guys, this camper does have lift jack plates/flanges, so I can use those to attach the Torklifts to. The seller has the same year truck, but in a longbed, and gave me the tailgate measurements, so I verified that it fill fit through the tailgate. I've also got a platform already, to raise the truck to clear the cab. I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow.

ATC and FWC are both pretty close to me, so I'll check with one of them about a permanent mounting solution.

Back
Top Bottom