Canada border

We also sure would like to know...for recreation reasons, but also because we have our Old Town wood/canvas canoe under restoration by a shop located about 7 miles into Alberta and we wish to retrieve it.

I am glad to hear any and all news about the border.

Many thanks

David Graves

Right now it looks like rates in BC are climbing again, friends there say not seeing much for the border opening hope.

DavidGraves said:
We also sure would like to know...for recreation reasons, but also because we have our Old Town wood/canvas canoe under restoration by a shop located about 7 miles into Alberta and we wish to retrieve it.

I am glad to hear any and all news about the border.

Many thanks

David Graves
David, I know that some businesses are bringing their products across the border, an example is Escape travel trailers. It may be possible for you or the boat builder to cross the border to pick up or deliver the canoe. I’d check with the builder and or customs to see what’s possible.

Thanks Sage

Almost impossible to ask the border....endless phone calls.

Restore shop is less than helpful...stalling on three year project.

There is a small river along side border entry route.

I suggested they float the canoe un-maned on their side of the border and I would intercept.

Kidding of course but the frustration is building.

I think commerce for new products is open...we live in the shadows however.

DG

I suspect it will get worse up here before it gets better. Would not be surprised if it stays closed all year. I am hoping for the border to open in the fall though.... I miss my Sept/Oct trips to Utah!

My nephew lives in Seward AK and he asked me to meet him in Colorado in early October. He has a hardshell on na Tundra. But It looks like he would have a hard time crossing border driving through Canada. Is there an official Canadian site that updates regulations for such trips through? He has been vaccinated twice.

buckland said:
Huh... I thought that was shut down... I'll look into it. thanks Frank
To the best of my knowledge, you are allowed to drive through, but not to stop for sightseeing or recreation. That's one for the Customs folks to answer.

We have booked and paid for passage on the Alaska Marine Highway ferry system from Bellingham, WA to Hains, AK departing on August 7, 2021. We have plans to run our railroad motorcar on the Alaska Railroad again

http://www.mowonline.org/schedule.html#210904

1) The Alaska ferries are running There are no stops at Prince Rupert, BC due to construction and covid
2) The Candian border crossing at Pleasant Camp, BC on Hwy 7 out of Hains, AK is closed to non-essential travel as are all other US/Canada border crossings including the Fraser border crossing on Hwy 2 out of Skagway.

Non-essential travel includes non-business related transit to/from Alaska for vacation and personal visits. It is my understanding that you cannot transit across Canada if you are on non-essential travel.

"You can’t transit through Canada by land for an optional reason, such as a vacation or leisure. When seeking entry to Canada, you will be subject to strict entry conditions and public health requirements.

You will need to have proof that your entry into Canada is not optional, such as:
proof of residence or employment in Alaska if going north
proof of residence or employment in the lower 48 states if going south

You must provide proof of a valid test result to enter Canada."

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/border

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/is-canada-open-for-travel/

The current closure has been extended month by month and given the rise is cases in Canada again it is likely that the border will remain closed to non-essential traffic for the forseeable future.

Our trip this summer is at risk. If the border does not open up by the end of June we will have to cancel our trip to ensure we get the maximum refund (must cancel no less than 30 days before departure). We are both fully vaccinated now (Pfizer vaccine).

;-)

Wow that rail motorcar tour sounds very nice.
Have you thought about taking the Bellingham to Whittier ferry instead
of going to Haines?
You could do that without having to travel through Canada.
The Kennicott makes the trip every other week from Bellingham.
At least that was they did in 2016.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom