Carbon Monoxide Alarm

the fisherman

Big Time
I've been around this site for a while, haven't heard anything on this subject. I work on boats, all living spaces on the two boats we operate are equiped with CO alarms. One has already saved me. I really can't believe these campers are not equiped with one. Put one in today, FIREBOY-XINTEX model no. cmd-1mr-9v - it might save your life. EAT YOUR FISH

Good topic... this is something that my wife and I have discussed, just haven't gotten around to installing one yet. I'll have to check out the model that you suggest.

Thanks!
Kyle

My '06 FWC came with CO and propane detectors. I guess it depends on the year of manufacture. These are hard wired into the 12V system and have a dedicated fused circuit.

Mike

Progress

Wasn't sure about the new campers, but back in 02, nada. The alarms on our boats are also hard wired, but the alarm I listed is a good one with a loud alarm.

My '06 FWC came with CO and propane detectors. I guess it depends on the year of manufacture. These are hard wired into the 12V system and have a dedicated fused circuit.

Mike

Sometime back in 2003 or 2004 they started to be standard. Wonder if Calif RV laws changed to require them. May be I should be thinking about a set for mine. Thanks for bringing this topic up.

Great advice!

I you don't have one, GET ONE!
Especially if you run a heater at night. In theory CO is the same density as air so as long as it is mounted on a horizontal or vertical you should be good. Avoid corners, they form air pockets. Alarms will start sounding at a much lower level than when symptoms begin to appear and since there is a narcotic effect to CO you may not notice the symptoms, especially when sleeping.

Any major brand from a hardware store should be fine. If you want to be double sure buy a combo CO/Smoke. A few bucks and a 9V battery are worth it.

I have a First Alarm without the digital read out from OSH. figured that if it sounds the camper will air out quickly and I don't really care what the PPM is.

That my two cent;)

CO Detector False Alarm

Funny thing happened with me, my first night out after installation of my Panther shell. I had no heater and was using my down bag to stay warm.

When tossing around in the bed, static electricity that was generated by the bag in the dry air would make the CO detector chirp.

Has anyone else witnessed this phenomenon?

-Buzz

When my battery ran low because the charging from the truck wire pulled loose, the alarms would go on every time the heater kicked in. The battery was really low though- down to like 7 volts. Even my LED lights didn't work at that voltage. The alarms in my 07 ATC are loud, I trust them. Plus I sleep with a window cracked open. I worry more about the dog with CO than me, since it would affect a 45lber a lot more. In my camper the smoke alarm is 9V I believe and mounted on the roof. The CO and propane on in a panel on the lower side of the furnace cabinet. I imagine that would be the closest to the source if CO were to leak in.

On our last trip in October the CO detector woke us up due to low battery, it wasn't a full alarm, just an intermittent beep, but still woke us easily. A bit inconvenient, but nice to know it will do the job when needed.

My alarm went off, not sure why as it was parked and nothing was in use. I did just installed a Trimetric battery monitor and charger and fiddling with programming it. After reading Snuffy's post under rotten egg smell, I suspected that I was over charging my AGM battery. Check for smell and opened windows just in case, no smell, battery feels normal temp. Re programed Trimetric to lower high v in P15 to 15 v instead of 16.5 v.as recommended in the profile 9. I think that may have been the problem.

I have found that if I am charging a 12V battery at home it will sometimes set the CO detector off and register a reading on the digital display. Helped a fella in a big motorhome when his CO detector started going off while he was on the road or at a campsite plugged in. It was right over the coach battery compartment and he did not know how to check the battery water level. There was almost no water in those big batteries. The alarm quit after we put water in the batteries but I bet they were shot.
Happy Holidays, Bigfoot Dave in cold and windy Duluth, MN

I believe my 2016 hawk came with one. I will check, since its a fulltime, and parked outside at work. I
do a little volunteer work with rescue-3, and they have had 2 calls in the past for victims to co2 exposure in motorhomes. they saved one guy, but they lost one. so im checking and/or installing one tonight.

My 09 ATC Bobcat came with a hard wired one. They have a shelf life but I think if there isn't
power to it the when you don't use the camper then the life is extended.
My home one is a plug in and had a life of 5 years so sure enough while away on the Alaskan trip the thing went out.
5 years is 5 years. The new one I got to replace had a battery good for 10 years or longer if it gets turned off.
If you don't have one for your camper/home get one they save lives.
Frank

tree said:
I believe my 2016 hawk came with one. I will check, since its a fulltime, and parked outside at work. I
do a little volunteer work with rescue-3, and they have had 2 calls in the past for victims to co2 exposure in motorhomes. they saved one guy, but they lost one. so im checking and/or installing one tonight.

Yes, our '16 Hawk has a CO alarm hard wired in..and yes, it does give spurious very loud blasts in the middle of the night...normally when FWC forced air heater is on and off. Many different chemicals will set of the alarm...in ours since it was new, I am getting residual paint on the heater...

What was the source of the CO2 that required a rescue and the coroner? CO2 and or CO?

Phil

Our '15 Hawk started having an intermittent CO alarm, even with the door wide open. Fortunately, it began misbehaving at Overland Expo West in '15. Camping with the FWC folks made repairs easy. Terry simply swapped the faulty alarm out for a new one he had on hand. It was indeed a faulty alarm and no CO buildup.

My 2014 Eagle has one and initially it would go off when I was on shore power and the batteries were fully charged. When I stopped by the factory last summer I asked them about that and they replaced the unit and it hasn't happened since.

simimike said:

Mike
2X My 05 Granby had both too. Lot's of things can set of the dang things off :oops: ------but that first time that it went off in the middle of the night was a eye opener and a learning experience! But don't panic- If you don't smell that propane smell check the battery first thing especially if you have been parked a while. Until getting my solar panels and another house battery, getting up in the middle of the night and running in my shorts to the cab and starting the truck up to shut the alarm off was a regular part of camping :p !

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
Until getting my solar panels and another house battery, getting up in the middle of the night and running in my shorts to the cab and starting the truck up to shut the alarm off was a regular part of camping :p !

Smoke
Too much information Smoke :) Not to mention you woke up your neighbor. :p

Back
Top Bottom