Carpet to cover camper floor

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
I know some people have put carpet down to cover the vinyl floor of their FWC (or other) campers -- to make it warmer or at least to make it seem warmer to the feet. I assume we're talking about indoor/outdoor/very-low-pile types, right?
I haven't done that yet, but I'm wondering: How has that worked out for you?

My first thought is that since I'm kind of a pig
tongue.gif
...the dirt/mud/pine needles I track in now onto the vinyl floor -- which I now sweep up (at least once a year) -- would get ground into the carpet. Of course, the carpet would be "loose" -- not nailed or glued down, so I could take it outside and beat it or vacuum it.

Does it actually seem to make the camper warmer?

Thoughts/feedback yeah-or-nay?
Thanks.
smile.gif

I trimmed a piece of carpet stringer to fit the floor. It is much nicer on the feet than the cold floor. Also, like you said you can pull it out and shake it out. Then sweep the floor.

The stringer is used has a rubber backing so it doesn't slide around on the floor when you walk. I like it a lot.....and it's real cheap. I'm not sure where my girlfriend found it....but she said it was inexpensive.

I know some people have put carpet down to cover the vinyl floor of their FWC (or other) campers -- to make it warmer or at least to make it seem warmer to the feet. I assume we're talking about indoor/outdoor/very-low-pile types, right?
I haven't done that yet, but I'm wondering: How has that worked out for you?

My first thought is that since I'm kind of a pig
tongue.gif
...the dirt/mud/pine needles I track in now onto the vinyl floor -- which I now sweep up (at least once a year) -- would get ground into the carpet. Of course, the carpet would be "loose" -- not nailed or glued down, so I could take it outside and beat it or vacuum it.

Thanks.
smile.gif

There really is no reason you shouldn't. My hallmark comes with a fitted carpet that has snaps in each corner. I use it all the time. I don't think it actually keeps the camper any warmer but it sure beats the hell out of walking on cold linoleum with bare feet. It is definitely more comfortable than the linoleum so, why not ! It is very easy to shake out the dirt whenever you need to....even once a year, whether it needs it or not right? I also use a small synthetic entry rug. I slide it under the scissor steps on the ground and use this as my "mud room" before entering the camper. This helps tremendously keeping the camper floor clean.

Funny you should ask, I just cut a new piece for my camper last weekend.

IMO using carpet is much better as I found myself constantly sweeping up with just the vinyl as you are constantly tracking dirt in. The carpet "absorbs" a lot of the light dirt and dust allowing you to still walk around without feeling the grit grinding under your feet on the vinyl. Shake it out once a day and you are good to go. And it does feel alot better when waking up on the cold mornings, whether it actually makes it warmer, I don't know.

Dirt/mud will definitely get ground into the carpet eventually and then you just replace it. My last piece lasted well over a year. I use normal interior carpet, you can go to most any carpet place and get a small remnant for next to nothing if you aren't too picky.

Remember to keep your old piece to use as a template before you chuck it!

There really is no reason you shouldn't.

I think that sentence sums it up. Why not?
I went to Lowes yesterday, and they had 6'-wide rubber-back marine carpet at $3-5 linear foot, so that would put the cost at $10 - $15 for what I'd need. That's without looking for scrap pieces which would be cheaper, I assume.
So it's the kind of idea that could fail and I'd still be out less than what it costs me to drive my camper 50 miles.
biggrin.gif

Still open to more input/suggestions...

I just got a carpet runner from walmart, good fit and I keep it in place with a bit of velcro at the far end. I can't imagine it keeps things warmer and for me since I have 3 dogs in the camper I am never barefoot anyway. It does trap a lot of dirt plus I think the dogs prefer it :D

I got lucky. I was working at a commercial building when they put in new carpet squares. I got some of the extra. Works great. Commercial grade stuff with rubber backing, should last forever.

+1 on rubber back marine carpet.

Easy on the feet, certainly a layer of insulation, and when my dog has been indescreet I just hose it off and hang it over a sawhorse to dry. Best $20 mod I've done.

Thinkin' I might add a strip of velcro on the end(s)

I used a scrap from the leftovers from my house. I stapled mine down with a regular staple gun - I didn't want it moving at all. When it gets trashed I will yard it out and replace it with somemore.

My son is just learning to walk, so the carpet made it much less slick for him and softer when he falls down.

+1 on rubber back marine carpet.

I know I'm worrying too much about this, considering it's a cheap mod...
rolleyes.gif
but I've read online about rubber-backed "marine carpet" -- manufacturers installation info -- and they say something about "needs to be glued down, not loose". I'm sure it doesn't really matter....but does it tend to curl up or anything?

thanks guys, another project added to the list :rolleyes:

Yeah...I've had my Hawk for 5 years, and it was only 6 months ago that I started "doing things to it".
If I hadn't met some folks in the White Mts last May with a Hawk like mine...and getting "ideas" from them, I'd still probably be happy with it stock!
tongue.gif

I use carpet for all the reasons mentioned above. I try not to overthink it though. A $10 scrap from the carpet store cut to fit works fine. When it gets old and nasty, I toss it and go get another. Prolly every 10 months or so.

but does it tend to curl up or anything?

Regular carpet cut to fit has not curled up on me. I would imagine the marine stuff would be even less likely.

I'll add my two cents. I cut a scrap of berber carpet to fit the camper. Works great and when I get home from a trip, I just take it out, lay it on the driveway and hit it with the pressure washer. 5 minutes and it's clean and ready for the next trip.

I have a 2010 Grandby shell now and owned a 98' Grandby camper for 7 years. My wife and I travelled a fair amount over the years with one or two Golden Retrievers who would come inside with us (it was tight). Anyway, to keep the vinyl floor in our Granby Shell from getting totally trashed and keep the mud, needles and general junk off the floor, we picked up a heavy army surplus wool blanket (I think from Sweden), folded it in half, and laid it down. It functions as a nice carpet and is easily removed for shaking out and/or washing. It's done a very good job of keeping the vinyl clean. Because of it's weight, it lays nicely flat and doesn't move around much. It was relatively cheap ($20) and we also use it in our old Airstream for the same purpose. Just one alternative.

TK

I know I'm worrying too much about this, considering it's a cheap mod...
rolleyes.gif
but I've read online about rubber-backed "marine carpet" -- manufacturers installation info -- and they say something about "needs to be glued down, not loose". I'm sure it doesn't really matter....but does it tend to curl up or anything?

Naw. Just lays there. The velcro is mostly 'cause the flap that wraps around the couch does slide and bunch up sometimes when I cram a bunch of odds & ends there (ply leveling blocks, grey water bucket, horse tail broom, shoes, empty beers, etc).

We bought some low-pile stuff off the roll at Casa De Pot and I cut a piece that fits the entire floor before we even took our first trip in the new Hawk in Summer '08. I could tell immediately that the linoleum wasn't gonna cut it on the bare feet. When cut to fit the entire floor...even under the little covey by the back door....this thing hasn't budged... and I'm on carpet #2 as I replaced the first one last Summer after 2 years of use.

happy trails, all

mtn

Thanks for the feedback everybody!
smile.gif

This will be the easy project for me this weekend.

We just have a couple bath mat sized rugs in there. That way I can easily toss them to the side when I'm using the camper for hunting and my boots are all muddy (I just deal with a dirty floor during those times).

Back
Top Bottom