carrying full size spare

penner

Thinking of carrying a full size E rated spare on our up-coming Alaska , Dempster trip from Ontario , rather than just the factory spare. I will be removing the back seat of our Chevy crew cab and thinking I should just carry it there. Probably wouldn't fit underneath anyway. Anyone carry theirs in the back seat? Or any other thoughts? On our Nfld/ Labrador trip I never had anything but the factory spare , but thinking it might not hurt this time. Thanks.

I suggest taking the full size spare. I don't have a recommendation on where to carry it.

We have done two Alaska trips. On the trip this past summer we drove to McCarthy. That road is notorious for causing punctures and flats. We saw a couple of cars without occupants and signs in the window saying tire service called with a date that was several days old.

We were lucky and had no tire issues on either trip. That written, prior to both trips I put 4 new tires on about a month prior to ensure any infant mortality issues would be experienced before departure (there were years and plenty of tire tread wear miles between the two trips).

Penner IMO it's always a good plan to have a full size spare along.
My spear fits under the truck bed no problems getting to it.
I also carry things like 4x4 wood blocks for spacers between jack and axle
and a piece of 2x8 to sit the floor jack on.

Like the old Boy Scout motto"be prepared".
Frank

Frank

How long is the spear you carry? Do you hunt with it? or is just for self defense? :LOL:

Couldn't resist. ;-)

I think you have a typo spear ==> spare

Regards,
Craig

If carrying a full size spear, be sure to also carry an appropriate atlatl for best results.

I greatly dislike automatic spelling correctors as the idiot programmer has no way of knowing what I meant. Apple corrected my use of atlatl several times.

Paul

ps. I'm a retired idiot programmer.

By all means I would carry a full-sized spare (well-lashed down)—along with a high-quality plug kit and a high-quality compressor. The Dempster is better known for general tire shredding than simple punctures, but you should be prepared.

In terms of carrying the spare inside the cab (check your factory location first, you might be surprised) they make bags for that. I find that the odor from tire rubber, particularly when new, can be overpowering in small spaces.

I hadn’t thought about carrying my second spare in the cab, but I do see a concern. If it’s not well secured, the spare could be dangerous in an accident.

JHanson said:
By all means I would carry a full-sized spare (well-lashed down)—along with a high-quality plug kit and a high-quality compressor. The Dempster is better known for general tire shredding than simple punctures, but you should be prepared.
Jon, any recommendations for the plug kit? I bought one at a local tire shop, but have no idea what constitutes quality. The implements look robust, there is plug/patch material and cement, but I’ve never had to use one. Thoughts?

I always carry two full size spares. Had a trip ruined once, only carrying one spare. No proper air compressor, no patch/plug kit etc.
Fast forward to my 2019 trip on the dempster and to dead horse. Brand new, f rated tire speared by a four inch rock. Will try to find the phone that has the photo. Most likely would not have finished the trip to TUK had i not had two spares.
You may have to try letting the air out of the spare underneath, as for the second spare i was using a hitchco tire carrier to carry the second spare and two cans of fuel.
w

ckent323 said:
Frank

How long is the spear you carry? Do you hunt with it? or is just for self defense? :LOL:

Couldn't resist. ;-)

I think you have a typo spear ==> spare

Regards,
Craig
Thanks Craig. I also carry a spear,use it as a walking stick while fishing.
Dang letter keys just type the wrong stuff.
Frank

I carry the Safety Seal kit in my Jeep. I really should have one in the truck. I have a second spare I purchased just for trips like the Dempster. I have yet to carry it but I will when I go to Alaska.

I too sold the spare that came with my truck and bought a new rim and E rated tire for the spare... just makes sense especially in AK but also anywhere. A patch kit and quality compressor a must. ( remember the black flies will be out there helping you so the faster it takes the better)

Thanks for the replies everyone. After measuring , it looks like I can put a matching size spare underneath.

I will say that was a concern for me ....but it fit ... and I felt a lot better ...some roads are nasty

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Jon, any recommendations for the plug kit? I bought one at a local tire shop, but have no idea what constitutes quality. The implements look robust, there is plug/patch material and cement, but I’ve never had to use one. Thoughts?

Yes: Either the ARB kit or the Extreme Outback ultimate Puncture Repair Kit. Whatever you do, stay away from plug kits with plastic-handled insertion tools. Also, I recommend going on Amazon and looking for Safety Seal extra thin plugs to augment whatever kit you buy. The plugs that come with the ARB kit, especially, are too thick for many nail or screw holes.

More information and instructions here.

Jonathan

I carried two full sized 10 ply spares and a repair kit in my BLM rig (1980 3/4 ton Dodge Power Wagon, 1990 3/4 ton Chev) at all times! I still remember the time I was working out in Dry Valley, Nevada (near the Smoke Desert and Pryramid Lake) with a civilian contractor (Who had flown into Reno, rented some type of all wheel small rig that he drove out to the project). After working all day, we walked back to the rigs and of course he had a flat and when we open up the trunk we were greeted by something that looked like it belonged on a wheel barrow not as a spare tire. It was the first time I had ever seen one of these things, but you use what you have.

We were out in the high desert country where you needed a high ax. 4x4 with heavy duty tires to safely get around. These things had a 50 mile range and we were about 20 miles from a typical Nevada gravel road and the nearest town with a paved road (Surcliff at Pryramid Lake) was about another 30 or so miles away. Well off we went, with me following as he drove very very slowly. I guess the Gods were with us and we made it. I think we both learned to check your spare before you rented any rig you planned to take into the back county country. It could have been allot worse especially if he had been alone!

Smoke

Sometimes a plug kit isn't enough. I've ripped the sidewall out once and shredded a tire once. Without a spare my trip is over.

Back
Top Bottom