CARRYING SKIS?

ricksca

Any suggestions on how to mount a ski rack on the SIDE of the camper? I saw a pic of one that was attached to the underside of the overhang on the side of the camper and protruded enough to carry a pair of skis. I guess I could MacGyver it, but was wondering if anyone has done something similar?

Nope. I'm not that clever. However, I have put my Yakima six-pack on the roof rack at times. My Hawk has the Yak tracks so I can dismount the bars/towers when I don't need them. I recently picked up a rocketbox and am considering putting that on the roof for occasional use. I've also found my touring skis tuck pretty well into the rollover couch for casual use. You could mount the skis vertically on the rear of the camper, but I think they would get pretty dirty.

I am with Lighthawk on this.

Put Yak traks on roof and then mount a Pro-line Yak box....low profile, light weight and best of all...your bindings and bases do not get subjected to grit or road salts. Not good.

Worst case, put them in a ski bag and set them inside the camper...no bigee to take them out and lay them next to or under the truck if you are in the camper. Just remember where they are!

Just my take.. Phil

Maybe it helps!

Don’t know what FWC you have!
But roof racks are not comfortable to reach when the camper is poped up!

Thought about a hitchski carrier? In summer for bikes! In winter for skis!

Thought about a hitch mounted Cargo Carrier?

It’s a less expensive solution. You can put your skis in skibags and you can carry additional gear!

Robot or human?

!!!!!! Could be a hitch extension is needed!

hitch extensions - Walmart.com

I'm in the ski bag inside the camper while traveling and either under or into the cab of the truck at night depending on if I feel a need to have them locked up camp.

Downhiller...I could not resist....since I am an 'earn your turns' BC kinda skier....

You remove your skis BEFORE to pop up the top... :D And while I do not know how that rack pivots but getting the door of camper could be challenging...

Phil

Side of the camper may pose problems with dirt and being in a place more prone to impact. We had a friend with snowcats and a remote high country cabin. He fashioned ski mounts on the outside of the stake sides on the DMC flatbed. The skis were always being banged against something. I quickly learned to put our skis in the traditional roof rack on the crewbox cat.

We are simple with Yakima tracks on the roof. Instead of the heavy Yakima cross bar pipes, I use thick wall aluminum tubing, about a third the weight. Yakima end caps fit well. Our old original style ski racks attach.

Mammoth-Apr2013-005-copy.jpg

Downhiller...I could not resist....since I am an 'earn your turns' BC kinda skier....

You remove your skis BEFORE to pop up the top... :D And while I do not know how that rack pivots but getting the door of camper could be challenging...

Phil

OK. You are right! BEFORE!
Tall boy? If not - maybe you will need a Curver Two Step Stool reaching the skis on the roof! ;)

If you have the Yakima tracks factory installed on your FWC you can go with a roof rack!
But mounting the Yakima tracks (or Thule tracks) by yourself on a FWC is not so easy because you have know where the special fixing points for the tracks are.

Getting the door is easy! You can dump the hitch racks or swing it away!

Nice solution:
Rack Warehouse

Enjoy skiing!

I was looking at making something similar to a water ski boat rack and mounting the "fingers" on either side of the window on my Eagle. Here is an example of the ski boat rack:
water_ski_storage_rack_for_boats__66152.1399913274.1280.1280.jpg

I also considered mounting a set of ski/snowboard carriers vertically (opening end facing up) on either side of the window so the skis would be carried horizontally in front of the window. My plan was to put my skis in a ski bag for a little extra protection then secure it in the carriers.
Rhino-Rack-Ski-Snowboard-Carrier-Category.jpg

I don't think i'd try a horizontal rack on the side of the vehicle. If you don't want to carry them up top, I think you could contrive vertical carry system on the rear of the camper, next to the door. A few lengths of open pvc along the bottom would support the weight of the skis by the binding heel, one traditional ski rack perpendicular to the skis could be used to lock the shovels in place. Just use rubber straps, if you don't need them under lock & key. If you need more room for skis, you could build one for either side of the door.

Unless... got running boards?

car_ski_rack.jpg

Maybe one of you can figure out how to make this work (although being on the side is more risky for accidents...).

This pipe is strapped on to the jack brackets for a quick trip from HD. If you wanted a beefier setup, you might screw in some pipe clamps, and of course use bigger pipe. I've thought about doing this for overnights to free up space in the camper and keep the skis secure. Not sure I'd want to drive on the highway with a pipe on the side though.

gallery_3749_748_393726.jpg

Cayuse said:
I'm in the ski bag inside the camper while traveling and either under or into the cab of the truck at night depending on if I feel a need to have them locked up camp.
I run this setup also. Don't have/want a ski rack on top. Hitch rack would be my next option if I wasn't towing a snowmobile.

I have a full ladder on the rear of my Phoenix camper. The skis are in a bag tied to each side of the ladder with a bike cable lock wrapped around the ladder and between the ski binding toe and heel piece.

I mounted a roof mount style Yakima ski rack to my roof access ladder using stainless steel hose clamps (see my avatar photo). This works ok on the Six Pac T100S hard-side but I don't think this style of vertical carry will work on my soon to be ATC Bobcat popup since the skis will extend above the camper roof and be subject to wind turbulence. I am pondering the idea of mounting PVC pipe,(conduit carry kits with aluminum end caps have easy to open locking caps) on the underside/overhang of the Bobcat. The problem with PVC pipe is the 8 " diameter it takes to fit my ski bindings. I am also considering using PVC square fence posts, but then an easy to operate hatch door has to be fabricated. Lets keep the ski carry ideas flowing!
Solinski ("wanna be" earn your turns skier)

What do you folks think about putting skiis in a vinyl ski bag between cab and camper?

my nordic xc skiis are long but the ski bag does not extend beyond the jack brackets to which I can secure the ski bag with ratchet straps or just rope. they seem to fit fairly snug, but might wobble a bit while driving.

full

Add me to the 'transport inside the camper & under the camper at the end of the day' camp. But my stuff is so old and beat up that nobody would want them anyway.

jim

Back
Top Bottom