Carson Iceberg Wilderness

Thanks, we will keep this hike in mind when we visit the eastern Sierras this fall. We found your loop in "Carson-Iceberg Wilderness" by Jeffery Schaffer (1992). Is Dispersed Camping generally allowed at trailheads since many campgrounds in the area close in early September?

Love the Sierras. Hope to make it to those spots someday.

This is a very special place, I have enjoyed this area for several years and it's my go to location. Saturday as I drove over 108 I was thinking that this area should still be closed, I was surprised to see how dry it is at the upper elevations.

Thanks Ski.Love that area,although we have only visited from the hwy 4 corridor.
To see the area without any snow wow.
There is always next winter!
Thanks for the report.
Frank

iowahiker said:
Thanks, we will keep this hike in mind when we visit the eastern Sierras this fall. We found your loop in "Carson-Iceberg Wilderness" by Jeffery Schaffer (1992). Is Dispersed Camping generally allowed at trailheads since many campgrounds in the area close in early September?
Yup, we have an old dog eared copy of Jeffery's guide also, although it's been years since we looked at it. Most of the trailheads for the busier Sierra Wilderness areas do not allow dispersed camping. The Carson Iceberg is not heavily used and trailheads are small, undeveloped, usually with dispersed sites to tuck away into especially at Corral Valley and the East Fork Carson trailheads off of Wolf Creek Road. If you are out this way, consider going into the Hoover Wilderness out of Green Creek. There are dispersed sites along the road just prior to campground that you can hike from. The nicest one is right at the big rock. Lots of neat places within reach for day hikes. I think I have a blog story.

Fall is deer hunting season out here but it is nothing like big game season in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado. We hike all the time in Wilderness areas taking sensible precautions - brighter clothing, make some noise - and do not have problems. You will find the folks who leave their motors behind and get more than a quarter mile from the road are pretty decent people with skills.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Geezer, that is very cool country!!! The juniper was huge! Is this between the pass and Markleeville?
Access is up Mill Canyon Road just north of Walker on 395

Nice report. A few years ago entered the Carson Iceberg Wilderness from the west side at Highland Lakes. My buddy and I backpacked in for a bow hunt. Pretty country although saw no deer on that trip. I also like the more open country you encountered from your trailhead as I generally prefer the high desert anyway.

Thanks Ski-another place I need to revisit -nice, nice TR. Let me see now, to see all theses places again and visit those new ones, I figure I have to live 'till at least 104, like my Grandma-hmmm-me thinks a new goal-wonder if the pop-up will hold together that long :p !

Smoke

Craig,

I didn't realize mountain lions could read. ;). If you were nice to the kitties, they wouldn't have to be warned.

Paul

Sure doesn't. I've only seen one and it was pretty skittish. Nothing like following a deer trail and noticing that other set of tracks.

Of course they can read. Probably text too :)

Good articles. Similar information is published here in Oregon near Portland. In the past several years, several lions have been seen within the metropolitan area.

Paul

As usual, that was a great TR. So, you each picked up a tick? I guess I should be checking me and my dog more often, but it rarely crosses my mind. It's on my radar now.

As for walking after dinner, that was something Edward Abbey always did too.

Thanks everybody for your very kind comments. I sent a link to our blog story to our friend that works with the Department of Fish & Wildlife's Heritage Trout program. He tells me restocking of Paiute Cutthroat Trout into Silver King Creek will begin in 2016. I want to return and walk the creek banks when they have returned.

Back
Top Bottom