Carson National Forest in Northern New Mexico

Well, being from New Mexico, I'm glad you posted a picture of your lunch. Anyone who's spent any time in NM at all will become a converted chile addict.

My dad was stationed with the Forest Service in El Rito, NM (Carson Nat'l Forest) and he loved it there. If you're ever in El Rito, stop at the El Farolito Restaurant for some of the best food in northern NM.

IMG_2021-farolito.jpg
Don't let the appearance fool you--it's incredible!

I always like seeing a Bosque Bill trip report because I know I'll get to see some of my old stomping grounds and this TR was no exception.

Thanks for sharing and keep those lunch shots coming!

Another wonderful report, Bill, with more great photos. I've caught brook trout and cutbows in Cabresto Lake. It's a good lake to fly fish. There are a lot of pretty Rio Grande cutthroat in Valle Vidal waters, but you have to have a good dead drift if you want to fool them. Shuree Ponds look healthier than the last time I was there.

A big Thank You to you for your volunteer service.

What wonderful country. And my compliments for your volunteer work. Trail building and maintenance isn't an easy gig.

Food looks incredibly scrumptious!

Thanks for the write-up and photos!

When I was a kid, my mom was doing some field work near Santa Fe.
Among other places we visited, we went to this little-known hole-in-the-wall restaurant called the Rancho de Chimayo.
I got my first sopapillas there. I remember that first sweetness to this day.

It's great seeing what it's become and that it is a Place To Go!
Thanks for walk down memory lane :)

Edgewood, Frank, GroovyDad, highz, takesiteasy, N'Kwala, hoyden,

Thanks all for your comments regarding my trip and volunteering.

highz, yeah, I saw some great trout streams on this trip. Made me wish I had my fly rod.

GroovyDad, absolutely! I've actually had El Farolita recommended to me, but haven't made it to El Rio, yet. Seems I'm alway passing the junction on my way to somewhere else.

hoyden, RdC is the happening place, now. It still has a bit of the hole-in-the-wall appearance, but has obviously expanded, too - 3 dining rooms and a patio with 3 terraces!

As ever, Bill, wonderful and informative narrative and photos! Thank you so much for pitching in with your volunteer work! :)

Back
Top Bottom