Catalytic Converter Thefts

Conestoga

Advanced Member
Having a lot of catalytic converter thefts on our neighborhood lately. Instead of the Prius, they have been targeting trucks and vans. Anyone had any experience with theft deterrents such as cables or skidplates?

I believe the thieves roll underneath the vehicle with a sawsall and cut the pipes.

Trucks and vans are easier because there is more ground clearance.

I'm not concerned about it, but I don't have many people around me.

I don't have a catalytic converter but I am concerned about the fuel thieves. Drilling my plastic tank would be almost silent. I can imagine having a full tank and they grab a couple gallons and let the rest dump onto the ground.

As far fetched as I thought tank breaching is or rather was, it is really a thing. The two commuter vans my employer has were hit one night, much like Craig described. The thought was the thieves ran out of containers as one van was really clean and the other left a huge puddle on the asphalt.

To stay on topic, no converters were harmed in the fuel theft.

It seems to be a thing in small town Ontario, Canada too. Two contractors I know had the converters cut off their work vans last week.

ok, this is a bit of a reach.
most thefts are from truck/vans, due to better clearance for dipsticks.
and i think most thefts are from home driveways, as they are done in the dark, and not a lot of traffic, or people around to observe.
if one could park over something, that reduces clearance, that might be a cheap deterrent. like a pallet, or whatever, attached to driveway.
dipsticks are not going to spend a lot of time to remove deterrent. they have plenty of other options
a motion detection light on driveway, is also probably good.

They almost got mine off a Honda Element; we interrupted them mid cut. There are all sorts of cable/chain units people are using to deter/slow down the DBs but short of garaging your vehicle, we’re all potentially exposed.

Back
Top Bottom