Caulking exterior penetrations

gaylon

Hi there. I am replacing the plastic fresh water drain on my Hawk with an aluminum one I found on eBay. I need to caulk the new one to the camper body. What should I use for caulk?

I have primarily used Sika 291 for this sort of think in the past, it is a marine caulk. I would be very interested in what you are using for the water drain. On the newer campers they have upgraded all the other fittings to nice stainless steel marine grade fittings, except for the cheesy plastic drain valve. I would like to switch that out for something more durable with a higher flow as I often use it fill water bottles/bladders at the trailhead.

Mine arrived today - very solid. The one the camper came with is not very durable and the drain valve i plan on getting will receive well a small bit of hose so I can direct flow away from the bumper when draining.

3M 4000UV is a good marine sealant. Good for saltwater below waterline, so it will probably last a good while on a camper. Get it from Amazon.

Any of the 3m polyurethanes 4000, 4200 or 5200 will work well. 5200 should only be used if the install will be permanent, as it is very tough to remove. Life Caulk is another very good marine sealant and is a poly mix.

I will install this weekend and let you know. Part of it will be what valve I use - I have to go searching for one today. The one I saw installed last weekend drained very fast.

Don't want to hijack this discussion but I have entertained thoughts of replacing my drain with some type of spigot so I can use it for filling the dogs water bowl or just washing my hands outside the camper. Has anyone done this?

pics

Attachments

• IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 67
buckland said:
As far as the drain valve replacement : http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
My question is does it drain reasonably fast (at least as fast as the original)?

Mine failed and I bought two plastic ones ...installed and have a backup but ...metal is better.
Drains very slow. If I want to drain the tank fast I turn on the sink and use both drains.

Back
Top Bottom