CB Needed?

I think a 2M (2 meter) radio is a much better choice than a CB. Doesn't matter if solo or in a group, a 2M radio is far more versatile. And a bit more cash.

I have one of the UV-5R handhelds that I bought as a backup unit. If you get one of the Baofeng or Wouxun units, do yourself a favor and buy the programming cable and download Chirp to program the radio. It's free and much easier than programming it from the keypad.
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home
Chirp will program most other handhelds also.

Paul

I'm gonna get my license. Put it off for to long and now that Morse code is not a requirement no excuses :) (Though I really should learn it)

I'm considering doing a large portion of the Idaho BDR this summer and after reading adventure taco's blog, I think a CB will be advisable for letting the logging trucks know where I am. According to adventure taco, they have signs with the CB channel posted as well as mile markers on the logging sections of the Idaho BDR.

So here is my question?
Is a hand held CB good enough for this purpose and this purpose only?

I did use a both a handheld and vehicle mounted CB when I was a wagon master for a RV Caravan company, but have since gotten rid of the equipment. I do understand that handhelds don't have the same range, but do I really need to reach out and touch some log truck that isn't close by.
Thanks

You want to know where they are. They aren't interested in talking to you. A handheld should work adequately. Even better if you get a mag mount antenna to go with it.

For logging truck traffic (where that still occurs) having a handheld CB would be fine. Call in the blind with your mile mark and direction and listen to where others are and use pullouts early rather than later. Once in a while you may see a road system that is one way during certain hours and then reverses. that used to be common on company roads of which outside of the west coast there are not many anymore. To be realistic, there is so much more traffic on forest roads that the loggers are battling traffic that is similar to small cities in some areas.

They aren't going to stop even if they can (unlikely) so its good to listen. If they call mile 7.5 and you just passed mile 7 its time to find a wide spot.

That's for the help, I think I'll go with the handheld. 99% of the time I have no need for a CB, so why clog up my interior. The mag mount is a great idea, but how would I mount it since my F150 has an aluminum body?

Even a mediocre radio will perform better with a well matched antenna. Don't skip the SWR tuning even with an HT if using an external antenna.

One vehicle of mine has both Craig's linked radio and a 2M in it. One antenna mount, an NMO base. I swap the lead and the antenna depending on which radio is going to be used (cb mike lives in the glove box when not in use). I've found that I vastly prefer the NMO mounts to anything commonly used with cb's. Shouldn't be too hard to find an NMO tab that bolts to a fender bolt and slips out thru the hood to fender gap.

Found same thing in Idaho industrial logging areas last summer. loggers said I was crazy running around with out cb. Bought hand held and dash mount professional installed.
All down I-5, wa to Bakersfield, heard only a few truckers. Used frs/gmrs on Camino and hole in the rock rds.
But will hold onto cb,s for north woods.
Ditto on in reach. Just been paying 14$ a month ( last 4 yrs) for piece of mind. Always in pack, weather on back, in quad or truck

Back
Top Bottom