CB Radio

Beach

How many have CB radios in their rigs? If you do, what brand and antenna?

Uniden in the truck with some magnet mount antenna. Galaxy and and a firestik in the Jeep. They don't see much use since I got my ham radio. Unless its a group run of some sort.

Just use ham radio any more, although, I do carry a couple of FRS hand held radios if we are traveling with non hams for car to car or campsite to boat comms. Nothing wrong with CB but just not as useful when my ham mobile puts out 50 watts and I can access many repeaters to extend the range. Some repeaters have telephone access for emergency calling for law enforcement, fire, medical, etc.

Take the time to get your ham license and have someone to talk to if you do something not so smart out in the boonies.

Paul

Ham or Family Radio System, (FRS) have really cut into the CB territory. I do have an antique Radio Shack and CS60 mag mount as the log trucks in my neck of the woods still use them to communicate where they are on the haul roads.

I have a Uniden CB and a Radio Shack mag mount antenna. The Uniden has a built-in SWR meter. Works great and I can get out and receive several miles or longer depending on topography.

I hear and talk to truckers on 19 and have never used 10. If 10 used east of the Mississippi, it's news to me. I think more likely 19 is still the standard nationwide.

I also had log trucks on 19 along Skalkaho Road in Montana a few years back. Darn handy to know, especially when they're bearing down on you from behind--find a good spot to get over and let-em go.

Coal trucks in the East also make extensive use of CB, another good reason to have one in these parts. Like log trucks out West, the coal trucks tend to take their half out of the middle.

Foy

If you expect a log truck to slow down or swerve you better have your insurance paid up. When they call mile marker 6 and you're at 5 1/2 its time to find a wide spot.

Oh yes, Paul and Craig. I totally get the laws of physics and how they relate to downhill-bound coal and log trucks. The CB comes in handy on the Interstates, too, where I can let the trucker gaining on me on a long downgrade know what my speed and intentions are long before he reaches pucker string proximity to my back bumper.

Foy

I believe most truckers out West are using VHF radios, and not CB. I've been researching a bit about these "bush radios" and will be picking one up soon, so that I can avoid unexpected encounters with heavy industrial traffic. Around here, all the forest service roads have VHF radio frequencies posted.

I'll venture that the Canadian rules for VHF are different than here in the States. This has given CB a longer lease on life here than it would have otherwise gotten. CB in the States is the wild, wild west; any form of ham requires a license and has rules about use.

Who remembers their CB license? KIAC7280

I was disappointed the FCC didn't have a record of my cb license since I've long since forgotten it.

Back
Top Bottom