Cedar Mesa, Utah

Steve Scearce

Contributors
My wife and I left Durango last Friday for a three day weekend on Cedar Mesa, Utah. The weather forecast was a little iffy, but we were committed to making the trip. Our destination was the end of Cigarette Springs Road, one of our favorite campsites on all of Cedar Mesa. The campsite is at the end of the road (8.5 miles from Hwy 261) and perched on the edge of an unnamed side canyon of Road Canyon. Added benefit: a coldwater spring.

Attachments

• DSC_3964.jpg
    DSC_3964.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 254
My buddy Michael and I made our way down into the canyon below camp while our wives enjoyed lounging in camp. SE Utah had an exceptionally wet spring and the wildflowers were impressive.

Attachments

• DSC_4013.jpg
    DSC_4013.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 188
Michael and I hiked the canyon bottom and turned up another fork of the canyon. Our destination was an Anasazi ruin that I had visited several years ago. The approach to the precarious ledge location of the ruin takes some careful routefinding.

Attachments

• DSC_4016.jpg
    DSC_4016.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 237
There is also Cedar Mesa 79 miles SE in Capital Reef, it is a primitive campground off the Notam-Bullfrog road. Also recommended.

The ruin has a completely intact kiva. The dirt covered roof looked pretty fragile, so we didn't climb on it to peek inside. I suspect that the interior plaster was well preserved. After exploring the other structures - mostly wattle and daub granaries - we headed upcanyon, following a route I had marked on the topo map several years ago. I recalled a complicated, but easy, climb up to the canyon rim. Well, we managed NOT to find that particular route. Instead, we committed ourselves to some kinda unnerving scrambles up steep rock with serious exposure. Eventually we topped out on the rim after sweating bullets for nearly an hour. We were greeted with a blast of cold air. The weather was changing. Sunday morning we awoke to snow. We broke camp hastily and headed back out the wet and greasy road before it turned into a quagmire. The descent down the Moki Dugway covered in thick slush was, uh, "interesting."

Attachments

• DSC_4032.jpg
    DSC_4032.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 220
Nice pics and report. As Yvon Chouinard says, its not an adventure until something goes wrong!

As Yvon Chouinard says, its not an adventure until something goes wrong!

Very true! What we expected to be a pretty straight-forward hike became an adventure... and luckily one with a happy ending.

Very true! What we expected to be a pretty straight-forward hike became an adventure... and luckily one with a happy ending.

Boy do I love a happy ending :D ..

Nice report Steve. Another reason I MUST GET TO UTAH!

Thanks. One piece of advice: if you want the end-of-the-road, drop-dead-gorgeous campsite, plan to get there early... or better yet, during the week. I'm certain that the only reason we scored it this time on a Friday night was because of the weather forecast. Sorry I didn't take any pix of the snowstorm. I was too busy loading up and then slipping on the greasy 4WD road to stop to squeeze off some shots. It was kinda pretty...

Back
Top Bottom