Ceiling || Headliner Material

Mark W. Ingalls

Contributors
Hi all--

I decided to replace my ceiling material, which had gotten pretty nasty, and also to replace the fiberglass insulation with solid foam board.

I *thought* there was a source for the material here, but I cannot Google it.

Stan? Anybody?

Thanks, I hope.

Hi all--

I decided to replace my ceiling material, which had gotten pretty nasty, and also to replace the fiberglass insulation with solid foam board.

I *thought* there was a source for the material here, but I cannot Google it.

Stan? Anybody?

Thanks, I hope.

Mark,
Check out this website they may have something you can use. Good company to deal with.
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/products.html

Dsrtrat

Mark:

Seattle Fabrics is on my commute to work. They are great and have lots of cool camper repair/mod stuff that you can find. Nice to walk through and pick out stuff to use on the camper. Nice folks and good to work with.

Just an FYI.

Dave in Seattle

Hey Mark

I would give our service dept. a call when you have time.

Ask for Julie or Chicali.

800-242-1442

We use a really good marnie quality headliner material.

If you are going to do the job yourself, the material is not that expensive.

We can sell you the material and Chicali can give you some tips & tricks on differents ways the average person can tackle the job.

I'm not a fabric / material expert, I only know what I have seen over the past 6 or 7 years on hundreds of used FWC's. The campers with the best headliners are the campers made with the material like we are using these days.

I personally would not put a soft cotton or a canvas material in my camper if I were going to take the time to change it out.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Attachments

• bad head liner.jpg
    bad head liner.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 581
Thank you, Stan.

This information, along with the other sources will help me get the best material at the best price.

I agree with you that cotton is a no-no. I also agree that the material used in my vintage camper left room for improvement.

We are still looking forward to getting the pop-up sides replaced at the factory some day for that same reason.

I also agree that the material used in my vintage camper left room for improvement.

What is your material like? Mine have a perforated vinyl type material, seems fine.

Pods8,

It's gone now, but it was like a thin non-woven fibrous mat, like a see-through thin layer of synthetic felt. It had tears, stains from water leaks, mildew, and yellow sticky crap from the Velcro that oozed out onto it.

Pods8,

It's gone now, but it was like a thin non-woven fibrous mat, like a see-through thin layer of synthetic felt. It had tears, stains from water leaks, mildew, and yellow sticky crap from the Velcro that oozed out onto it.

I see, understandable. The original roof on mine (99') got bent at one point apparently and was replaced at the factory in the early 2000's so they must have made a headliner switch by then from your rig, which is a 2000 if I recall correctly.

Also they replaced the side liner at the same point and it doesn't have the sticky stuff on it, sounds like I lucked out 2 fold in having the newer roof.

Let us know what material you find that seems good. You planning to staple wood strips over the fabric to the roof framing like the factory or pursue a different attachment method?

<snip> You planning to staple wood strips over the fabric to the roof framing like the factory or pursue a different attachment method?

Still thinking it over, but I am leaning toward the closed cell foam stuff with a picture of woodgrain applied to the show side. Good insulation and light weight, if I can find a screen mold profile.

Narrow crown staples seem like the best application method.

Still thinking it over, but I am leaning toward the closed cell foam stuff with a picture of woodgrain applied to the show side. Good insulation and light weight, if I can find a screen mold profile.

Narrow crown staples seem like the best application method.

Bringing one back from the dead here...

Did you ever end up replacing your headliner? I have the thin fabric style which I would like to replace with something more appealing and was curious what you ended up with. Would appreciate any pics, install tips, ect... I haven't looked at it for a few months, but I seem to remember it looking like a real b*tch to dissemble around the outer edges?

Bringing one back from the dead here...

Did you ever end up replacing your headliner? I have the thin fabric style which I would like to replace with something more appealing and was curious what you ended up with. Would appreciate any pics, install tips, ect... I haven't looked at it for a few months, but I seem to remember it looking like a real b*tch to dissemble around the outer edges?

I found some non-woven material on close out and bought the whole bolt of fabric. It wasn't wide enough to cover the whole width, so there is a seam under one of the 'boards'. Speaking of the boards, I did use the plastic covered closed cell foam; bad, bad move. I need to replace all that crap with pine screen mold or something because the staples tended to blow the foam to pieces.

I just took a sharp knife and cut the old material off right at the edge of the outermost framing members. I threw all the fiberglass insulation away and eliminated the electrical splices that were hidden inside the ceiling. (Note to fabricators: If it's not allowed by the NEC, why do it in the camper?) I reinstalled one inch thick rigid foam, which I cut to squish-fit between the framing members.

The main reason I did this was not to replace the liner material, but to try to find some vexing leaks in my camper. I found one: There were a couple hairline cracks in the plastic mounting flange of my vent fan. I fixed these ant that leak stopped. The other leak was not so straightforward.

I had long felt that the camper seemed to leak more with the top down than up, and it leaked badly in the cab-over on the driver's side. My cushions, ceiling and soft-side material were mildewed in this area. I decided, after removing, inspecting, re-caulking and hand torquing all the screws in the roof and the edge banding that I would strip the ceiling and observe what happened for an hour or so during a typical Texas gully-washer. I waited in vain- not a single drop of water cam through the aluminum roof skin, nor any from around the vent either.

I had already done the P-gasket mod around the front third of the camper, so I figured the water wasn't coming through the folded soft-sides, but i was wrong. Apparently, the way the truck sat in my sloped driveway, the rain was shedding off the roof slowly enough that it followed the driver's side edge-banding from back to front, running inside the P-gasket, inside the folded soft side, through three layers Velcro'd window flaps a onto the cushion, where it evaporated and re-condensed on the ceiling material as well. I surmised this after I found water inside the cab over when the top was down. The confirming experiment was to caulk a piece of white plastic screen-mold to the entire driver's side top edge of the camper. This forced the rain to shed entirely at the driver's side front corner of the camper, and the cab-over area has been dry ever since. I think this insidious problem might have occured at any corner of the camper, btw, depending on which way it sloped while parked.

I am behind several reports on mods I've done. I have been motivated to do 'em, but not motivated enough to report 'em. Sorry for not holding up my end of the deal 'round 'ere. I'll see if I can do better in 2011.

Thanks for writing that up. How did you attach the headliner to the framing? Staples or upholstery adhesive?

I just stapled one corner, worked the edge, and then worked from that edge to the opposite.

I am in the same position: spots of my headliner were pink, black or green where it sat over the soaked bed cushion after the camper got wet for however many years before I purchased it. I am in the same mind to replace it, and tore the headliner out over the weekend along with the fiberglass insulation and the wooden strips. I am looking at the popup material as another possible place to make some changes. I went by FWC a few weeks ago and saw the black gasket material they are putting on the front half of the camper, but why not carry the gasket material all the way around? Also, SLOJET, can you send any pics of the screen mold you used to alleviate the leaks. Barring getting a new no-seam top, I would like to make all the changes to get rid of all the leaks while I am making the changes rather than after. Good luck to everyone and please post some pics. I will do the same.

I am in the same position: spots of my headliner were pink, black or green where it sat over the soaked bed cushion after the camper got wet for however many years before I purchased it. I am in the same mind to replace it, and tore the headliner out over the weekend along with the fiberglass insulation and the wooden strips. I am looking at the popup material as another possible place to make some changes. I went by FWC a few weeks ago and saw the black gasket material they are putting on the front half of the camper, but why not carry the gasket material all the way around? Also, SLOJET, can you send any pics of the screen mold you used to alleviate the leaks. Barring getting a new no-seam top, I would like to make all the changes to get rid of all the leaks while I am making the changes rather than after. Good luck to everyone and please post some pics. I will do the same.

Unfortunately, I believe it was Mr. Ingalls that did the replacement, not I. I'm still formulating a plan of attack on what I want to do with my ceiling.

Back
Top Bottom