Central NM Spring Shakedown - April 2018

Bosque Bill

Nice report. Loved your landscape work. #32 would make a fantastic monochrome on metal.
SlandTree_1200w-SL1_17552.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

It's always a pleasure to read your reports and view your exceptional photographs, Bill. Thanks for your efforts to share them.

Regarding the CDT section hiker's description of hiking along the Gila River, I'd believe her. Over the last 5-6 years I've followed one or two CDT through-hikers' "Trail Journals" posts each year, and most discuss the Gila River route as one of several acceptable pathways along the CDT, which is known for being a network of alternates rather than a single footpath. Most hikers complain about the trail's many crossings of the river along its length, and the futility of trying to change into camp shoes for each crossing, so they just deal with wet feet all of the time for the length of the traverse. I suppose it's part of the origins of the CDT mantra: "Embrace the Brutality"

Foy

Bosque Bill, another fine tale of your travels. Turkeys, warblers, gray haired section hikers, notorious legends, and magnificent landscape made it a great first trip of the year! Thank you for sharing! :)

Bill thanks for the trip.
Always enjoy your photos of the animal life.
I saw some towers like the ones you posted along Hwy US 93 between Wells NV and Twin Falls ID.
Fun trip.
Frank

Foy said:
It's always a pleasure to read your reports and view your exceptional photographs, Bill. Thanks for your efforts to share them.

Regarding the CDT section hiker's description of hiking along the Gila River, I'd believe her. Over the last 5-6 years I've followed one or two CDT through-hikers' "Trail Journals" posts each year, and most discuss the Gila River route as one of several acceptable pathways along the CDT, which is known for being a network of alternates rather than a single footpath. Most hikers complain about the trail's many crossings of the river along its length, and the futility of trying to change into camp shoes for each crossing, so they just deal with wet feet all of the time for the length of the traverse. I suppose it's part of the origins of the CDT mantra: "Embrace the Brutality"

Foy
Thanks, Foy, again I learned something new. I was thinking the CDT as a single "official" trail. It does make more sense to have other "acceptable pathways."

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
I saw some towers like the ones you posted along Hwy US 93 between Wells NV and Twin Falls ID.
Cool. It's an interesting design, I think. Perhaps easier to erect in certain types of terrain.

Very nice TR of my home state Bosque. Whenever I look at your reports, I'm always hoping there will be a photo of a nice, big plate of red chile enchiladas. Maybe next time...

Thanks for sharing.

Bill, thank you for this great report. I know this area a bit; Bear Trap is one of my favorite campgrounds and I squirrel hunt the Magdalena’s. That campground at Willow Creek looks spectacular. Any idea if there are brookies in there?

GroovyDad said:
Whenever I look at your reports, I'm always hoping there will be a photo of a nice, big plate of red chile enchiladas. Maybe next time...
I'll remember to take a photo on my next trip with NM cuisine!

Horseshoe said:
That campground at Willow Creek looks spectacular. Any idea if there are brookies in there?
I did keep my eye on the creek, but the only fish I saw were minnows of undetermined species. I didn't see anyone fishing, either.

Dughlas Stiubhart said:
Thanks for the photos, Bill!
Thanks, all, for the nice comments.

Bill

Its alarming how dry the vegetation looks, given that its spring time. Is it just early or a sign of the drought conditions?

Batman said:
Its alarming how dry the vegetation looks, given that its spring time. Is it just early or a sign of the drought conditions?
Interesting comment in that I didn't really notice that the vegetation looked particularly bad/dry. Maybe I've become inured to NM in this era of less and less rain. In thinking back, the grasslands on the north side of Gila NF/Wilderness were dry in May such as you would instead expect for June, but they were tall, so had seen snow/rain this winter/spring. The forests looked to be in excellent shape. I noticed that at the time that the trees were green and heathy; I saw no sign of browning or drought effects.

For 5 years we lived in Socorro and Chama, and while in Socorro spent a fair bit of time in Water Canyon and the San Mateo Range. Saw our 1st red-faced warbler today in a Mogollon Rim canyon outside of Flagstaff. Recognized it immediately from your pic. Finally, the beautiful Navajo rug (the blue one) you posted about (previously) from the Teec Nos Pos Trading Post I bought. Not sure if I should thank you or not as you cost me some $$ on that, ha ha. Anyway, your pics and post brought back memories. Thanks!

Thanks for your "comfortable" comment, Smoke ;-)

OpenSpace, congratulations on finding your Red-faced Warbler! That red face is hard to miss even high in the trees. And congratulations, too, on bringing a beautiful hand-woven rug home. Take good care of it and it will last generations. You're welcome, ha, ha.

Back
Top Bottom