Chalk up another Bobcat

DirkWill

Advanced Member
Greetings!
I too have ordered a new Bobcat from ATC. Taking delivery in Verdi, NV around first of July. I'm from Albuquerque, so I know heat, but I'd welcome any advice regarding "less hot" route to and from, or more scenic with camping options.

When I get the camper I'll post some pictures. The build is slightly different. I aimed at a "demi-dinette",
meaning dividing one half of the bench into 2 parts. The part closer to cab will be a seat for one person facing the rear - small table (half the normal size) in front of seated person. Rest of bench as usual, and when table is not in use, the bench would appear "normal" and available for turning into bed… I tried describing this one time and was told not to try again… Does the description make sense? My intent was to create a "working station" for one - a small set up for laptop. My top motivating purpose, but of course not the only one, is as an wonderful accessory for nature photography. The rest of the motivation is not unique to anyone on this list...

Celebrate ATC!

Welcome - I got my Bobcat around March 24, and I've spent just as many nights in it as out of it since then. (I seem to sleep better in the camper.) Enjoy - post pics!

I'm from New Mexico and I just did the drive from ABQ to Reno a dew weeks ago. Aside from the Flagstaff area, you won't find much relief from the heat on I-40 in July.

If I were you, I'd drive from Reno to Hawthorne, NV for the night and camp near Walker Lake (it'll still be hot, but not as hot as further south). I'd drive to Flagstaff the next day and camp in the cool pines and then make the final push into ABQ on day three.

I live in Reno, so if you need anything while you're in my neck of the woods, PM me and I'll give you my cell number.

Welcome to Club ATC.

ski3pin said:
Welcome to Wander the West and congrats on your new ATC camper!

Highway 50 across Nevada. Stay a night or two at Wheeler Peak Campground in Great Basin National Park. Easy to find camping spots along 50 include Hickison Petroglyph Site and Bob Scott Campground.
Congrats on your order. We did the Highway 50 route but in the winter. I can second Ski's recommendations for places to stay. Much better than a freeway route. Of course there's lots of side routes and places to explore if you want to add some time to your journey.

Sounds like a nice camper!

If you want more camping options, run up 93 from Moapa to Ely. Cathedral Gorge is nice, as are some of the old towns and other CGs in the area. I agree with Mr 3pin on 50. Do watch the speed limit in the towns!

Thanks for both the welcome and advise for desert traveling in the heat of summer. Much appreciated! Anybody have experience taking 395 South through California to 40 heading East?

DirkWill said:
Thanks for both the welcome and advise for desert traveling in the heat of summer. Much appreciated! Anybody have experience taking 395 South through California to 40 heading East?
It's beautiful until you get to the far southern end.

DirkWill said:
I do and it's a great drive (but hot in July through NV and western AZ).

Back
Top Bottom