Change fridge to airconditioning

Frstnflt

Advanced Member
I have a FWC swift and found that I rarely used the 3 way fridge.
1. It kills the battery in a matter of hours. Slightly slower when truck is running but still not enough to prevent a net negative charge.
2. The propane blows out on the road and is hardly worthwhile when it is 90s in the deep south.
3. My mission is usually 1-2 nights so ice from home is adequate.
4. I mostly need the drinks outside so cooler is fine.
5. Loading and unloading from home fridge needs another container anyway.

Here in the deep South during the day its nice to cool off for an hour and hot humid nights. The Honda 2000 easily fits in the cab. It will run a 5000 btu AC in ecomode for 10+ hours on a gallon of gas.
FWC will not put an AC on the Swift to my knowledge and would not want the look of it hanging precariously out the back.
1. Disconnected 12V and 120V wiring
2. Capped the gas line with a brass 3/4 in plug
3. Pulled plastic gray trim off the fridge and reinstalled in the cabinet
4. Made a plywood spacer above the AC
5. Put a female end on the 120V wires and plugged in
6. Shoved a tip with a 1/2 in plastic tube through the drain plug on the back that can drape through the louvers on the vent or can drill down

Install is DIY but looks clean enough for now but would appreciate any suggestions. May have to put a larger 12 V fan for the compartment for better exchange.

Attachments

• IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0457.JPG
    IMG_0457.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 195
That’s pretty cool!
Where does the evaporative water go?

Man this is exactly what I've been contemplating doing with my Eagle when the 3 way fridge finally gives out. Does the heat exhaust from the unit find it's way out of the camper well? Do you have any plans to put some sort of storage above the fridge maybe?

Props to you for making this work!

-Alex

Frstnflt said:
I have a FWC swift and found that I rarely used the 3 way fridge.
1. It kills the battery in a matter of hours. Slightly slower when truck is running but still not enough to prevent a net negative charge.
2. The propane blows out on the road and is hardly worthwhile when it is 90s in the deep south.
3. My mission is usually 1-2 nights so ice from home is adequate.
4. I mostly need the drinks outside so cooler is fine.
5. Loading and unloading from home fridge needs another container anyway.

Here in the deep South during the day its nice to cool off for an hour and hot humid nights. The Honda 2000 easily fits in the cab. It will run a 5000 btu AC in ecomode for 10+ hours on a gallon of gas.
FWC will not put an AC on the Swift to my knowledge and would not want the look of it hanging precariously out the back.
1. Disconnected 12V and 120V wiring
2. Capped the gas line with a brass 3/4 in plug
3. Pulled plastic gray trim off the fridge and reinstalled in the cabinet
4. Made a plywood spacer above the AC
5. Put a female end on the 120V wires and plugged in
6. Shoved a tip with a 1/2 in plastic tube through the drain plug on the back that can drape through the louvers on the vent or can drill down

Install is DIY but looks clean enough for now but would appreciate any suggestions. May have to put a larger 12 V fan for the compartment for better exchange.
was going to drill down through the floor of this but looks like 6 inches of stuff, can just stuff tube through louvers I guess

AKnightOutside said:
Man this is exactly what I've been contemplating doing with my Eagle when the 3 way fridge finally gives out. Does the heat exhaust from the unit find it's way out of the camper well? Do you have any plans to put some sort of storage above the fridge maybe?

Props to you for making this work!

-Alex
I was planning to make a cabinet above but not sure how much ventilation the thing needs so will keep it all open for now. The main concern is condensation rotting wood in the compartment.

Kudos to you for seeing what does not work for you (3-way frig), seeing what you need (air conditioning) in your area (the deep South), for your style of camping (1-2 nights). What I or anyone else does in their camper may not work for you, so don't copy the crowd, but make your camper work for you.

Boonie

That's pretty cool (pun intended). I'm pulling the 3 way fridge out of my camper as soon as the Engel arrives and can see this working for me :)

Are you exhausting out through the louvers originally used for the fridge? Does it seem adequate, no heat build up inside compartment?

Nice to see a repurposing of that area. I took my broken icebox out and made it a closet/pantry. I never thought about putting another type of appliance in there.

Boonie said:
Fishyhead, Can I ask why you are pulling out your 3-way?
Hi Boonie - weight reduction and redistribution, a more efficient layout (for me), and portability. I'm converting my camper to a "side-dinette" setup so I'm putting the Engel up front on the passenger side. I'm also switching the big 20# propane tank out for a smaller and lighter 5# cylinder since most of my trips are short and in warmer climates so I don't need the furnace. I also wanted to be able to take the fridge out of the camper and use it in the back yard, etc.

Like bimmeryota, I'll use the old space for a closet/storage since I'll be losing the little pantry on the other side to store the porta-pottie.

Fishyhead said:
Hi Boonie - weight reduction and redistribution, a more efficient layout (for me), and portability. I'm converting my camper to a "side-dinette" setup so I'm putting the Engel up front on the passenger side. I'm also switching the big 20# propane tank out for a smaller and lighter 5# cylinder since most of my trips are short and in warmer climates so I don't need the furnace. I also wanted to be able to take the fridge out of the camper and use it in the back yard, etc.

Like bimmeryota, I'll use the old space for a closet/storage since I'll be losing the little pantry on the other side to store the porta-pottie.
Please post up some pics of your conversion to dinette. Did you have the rollover couch and now converting? Any plans for that back? I’m looking for a shorter couch back for my eagle for an idea I’ve got. If you want to sell it let me know. Although the shipping may be pricey...

Hi @bimmeryota - yes my camper came with a rollover couch with the back. I don't have plans to use it but it's probably 6' long so shipping will definitely be an issue!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom