Charcoal Grill Lovers, Let Me See Your Setup

I'm pretty space limited due to a lot of other stuff I carry and can't seem to leave at home.

As such, I use the Front Runner grill grate. I have an Aluminess rear bumper with spare tire carrier, so it carry it as designed, over the spare tire. I then place my Trasheroo over the tire/grate. I doubt the grate would fall off if you follow the instructions, but, with the Trasheroo in place, the grate isn't going anywhere.

If you don't use a spare tire carrier, the grate legs are easily removed for storage in side the camper or vehicle.

I carry lump hardwood charcoal for grilling steaks. If using it as a cooking grate, I just used firewood. One I'm done grilling, remove the grate from the fire ring and start laying on the firewood for a nice camp fire.

At home, I use a Big Green Egg. I was concerned about grilling without a lid or cover, but, it has been a non-issue when grilling on the Front Runner.

front-runner-spare-tire-mount-braai-bbq-grate-VACC023-3.jpg

front-runner-spare-tire-mount-braai-bbq-grate-VACC023-4.jpg

Pictures from Front Runner web site.

buckland said:
I could've sworn I put this grill up. It is a beauty. It is stainless, folds flat to about an inch. Comes with a black tour bag. Has a raised coal bed rack and top grill. Definitely works for me. If anyone likes it... here is a link
https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Grill-Large-Backpacking-Preparation/dp/B00DNTXCMI#immersive-view_1445434380237
That Fox Outfitters grill has been on my Christmas list for some time. I really like the compactness of the unit.

I've been a pretty good boy this year, I'm hoping Santa comes through. :p

Yes, great grill! I have the smaller size and plan to get this one so I can more easily burn smallish wood in it. Have used it with both charcoal and wood.

buckland said:
I could've sworn I put this grill up. It is a beauty. It is stainless, folds flat to about an inch. Comes with a black tour bag. Has a raised coal bed rack and top grill. Definitely works for me. If anyone likes it... here is a link
https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Grill-Large-Backpacking-Preparation/dp/B00DNTXCMI#immersive-view_1445434380237
Bottom line, how well does it burn a steak?
Thanks!

Sadly (and understandably with the high risk of fire getting out of control), most places I've camped the last year do not allow open fires except in the fire ring (if allowed at all). I wonder if you could set this in the fire ring, fire it up and be legal?

From Amazon link: Folded size: 18.5" x 7.25" x 2"

Bill

I like the Smokey Joe. I have owned one since I got my first apartment with a balcony and wanted to enjoy some "outdoor cooking" overlooking downtown Oakland. I got my next one when I was lucky enough to win a raffle at the local ace hardware (I rarely ever win raffles). They are basically a miniaturized Weber kettle which allows you to do many of the same things you can with its big brother such as slow cooking a roast, leg of lamb, or a whole chicken.

Since getting my FWC Hawk, I have found that the little kettle also makes a great fire pit when dispersed camping. You don't have to build a fire ring and it really contributes to "leave no trace." Also, it is just the right height to sit by in a low Kermit chair. Unlike a rock fire ring, you can pick it up and move this around if the wind comes up.

My only complaint was that the lid always seemed to come off in transit and whatever was inside would spill in my camper. I tried securing it with duct tape and bungee cords to no avail. Well, two days ago I lost the bowl portion on the highway (a story in itself). So, I came back to this thread to see what other options I had. I was interested in the Fox grill and was about to pull the trigger when I decided to go back and look at the Smokey Joe. Low and behold, Weber now makes a version with a handy bail that keeps the lid secured in transit and they also have a compact chimney starter. The grill is also $10 cheaper than the Fox. Sold!

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-40020-Premium-14-Inch-Portable/dp/B00004RALP/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1482869149&sr=1-2&keywords=weber+smokey+joe

Our camping trips were the three or four night affairs and that usually meant two or three nights BBQing. I hve always used a "chimney" to start our Weber at home so I just used the "old" one for camping. Since one full chimney full of briquettes will take care of the steak or chicken each night, I simply put a Zip lock baggie in the chimney and filled it with charcoal. I removed it and made one or two more the same way, leaving the last one in it during transit.

Don't forget the newspaper to start it though!

I found a small rectangular 16" x 24" grate from an old small fridge for a grate and I too used the "four rocks" stand method or the "two branches" method to hold it. We used the fire pit and after dinner just dumped the remainder of the coals onto a pile of kindling I had laid in the pit during the afternoon to start our evening fire.

Since we rarely visited more than one campsite and didn't change locations, I just used a couple of shopping bags to transport it as it would always be kinda grungy after a couple days camping.

Don't forget the wire grill scraper!

Once back home a REAL cleaning and a couple shopping bags and it would be ready for the next trip.

Oh yeah, don't forget the BBQ spatula with long handle!

One of my friends just ordered this stainless BBQ. It's very similar to the Fox BBQ that was previously mentioned, but per friend has better ratings because the grill is more secure. We will be traveling with them in the near future, so I will get a chance to try it out.

Just remember... If it's smoking it's cooking, if it's black it's done, if it's too black... You're done!

I feel like a dinosaur - I start my campfire and once I get some nice coals going I take my shovel and clear a spot under the grill and place charcoals in the fire pit. Like a lot of other folks, I just bag how much charcoal I think I'll need. Then I place either an Oscarware disposable grill topper or some non-stick Reynolds aluminum foil on the fire ring grate and bbq away. I also have a 12x24 grill if I have to use a rock fire ring. Either way, I like the grill toppers cuz' it's sanitary, veggies can't fall through, you don't have to clean it, they don't take up much room, and they can be used 2-3 times depending on your grunge tolerance. After I'm done cooking I have the whole fire ring available again for a serious camp fire. Besides grilling, you can cook directly in the fire by hollowing out a spot in the coals - take a roast or prime rib, carrots, potatoes double or triple wrapped in foil - place in the hollow and cover with some ash and coals just like you would do at home in an oven. But that's another topic!

PackRat said:
Our camping trips were the three or four night affairs and that usually meant two or three nights BBQing. I hve always used a "chimney" to start our Weber at home so I just used the "old" one for camping. Since one full chimney full of briquettes will take care of the steak or chicken each night, I simply put a Zip lock baggie in the chimney and filled it with charcoal. I removed it and made one or two more the same way, leaving the last one in it during transit.

Don't forget the newspaper to start it though!

I found a small rectangular 16" x 24" grate from an old small fridge for a grate and I too used the "four rocks" stand method or the "two branches" method to hold it. We used the fire pit and after dinner just dumped the remainder of the coals onto a pile of kindling I had laid in the pit during the afternoon to start our evening fire.

Since we rarely visited more than one campsite and didn't change locations, I just used a couple of shopping bags to transport it as it would always be kinda grungy after a couple days camping.

Don't forget the wire grill scraper!

Once back home a REAL cleaning and a couple shopping bags and it would be ready for the next trip.

Oh yeah, don't forget the BBQ spatula with long handle!
Be very careful about old refidge shelves. Many are cadmium plated and pose a health risk when used as a grill!

Weber Smokey Joe here and a chimney to start it. The baked potato and corn trick works well and a steak just tastes better over wood with that bark.
Coals go into the fire which lights the kindling instantly.

Back
Top Bottom