Charcoal usage in no fire area?

smlobx

Lost again
Good afternoon folks-

Terri and I are doing a little planning for an upcoming trip and was wondering if charcoal cooking fires are typically allowed in areas that have a fire ban. I have heard that propane grills are usually allowed but haven’t seen any comments on charcoal fires. I would imagine that asking a ranger is the best idea.

What have your experiences been?
Thanks!

ski3pin said:
In our neck of the woods, charcoal grills are prohibited during fire restrictions.
Yep during certain fire restrictions in Calif even in campgrounds only propane stoves are allowed, but no charcoal grills. If you are coming California, check the CDF fire web site or the local BLM/USFS office for local fire restrictions and get a free campfire permit-ya have to take a test if you do it on the internet,and one of the questions concerns what you can use to cook on. Nevada also has certain stove restrictions during red flag warnings in NW Nevada.

Smoke

In the past we had fires nearly every camping trip and cooked on charcoal frequently. (I remember in particular a December in Organ Pipe when we had high winds and below freezing temperatures. We cooked our Lukeville purchased steaks with charcoal on the elevated grill and ate in the cab of the SUV. Man that was a miserable night in our tent, but dawn was perfect.) Nowadays we never even light an open fire and just go with propane. I miss the cheery fire, but I don't miss feeding it and getting smoke all over our clothes. And it just seems easier to avoid the risk of starting some conflagration by accident.

smlobx said:
Terri and I are doing a little planning for an upcoming trip and was wondering if charcoal cooking fires are typically allowed in areas that have a fire ban. I have heard that propane grills are usually allowed but haven’t seen any comments on charcoal fires. I would imagine that asking a ranger is the best idea.
On Federal land there are 3 stages of fire restrictions. States/counties/ranger districts can have their own added restrictions.

Stage 1: charcoal fires only allowed in permanent, constructed fire pits/grates.
Stage 2: having a fire that does not have a shut off valve prohibited.
Stage 3: you aren't supposed to be there (area closed to all activity).

https://gacc.nifc.gov/rmcc/dispatch_centers/r2ftc/documents/Fire_Restriction_Chart.pdf

It is always a good idea to ask a Ranger about conditions (not just fire) for the area you are going to be in.

As with JaSAn statement, Colorado restrictions are similar. Guadalupe Mts National Park had a specific sign prohibiting charcoal fires in addition to the No Campfire Sign

We were camping in southern Utah, wood fires were a big no. Charcoal fires were ok, BUT you need to pack out your ashes.

Thanks everyone! That’s what we were thinking but Terri said why don’t you just ask the folks on WTW since they collectively have more experience in dealing with these restrictions.

Tahoe basin and truckee, all basically in national forest, has banned charcoal and even gas bbq at houses at times. People are the problem, or rather a lack of thinking on the part of people.

Just to close out this thread we just returned from a 3 week trip to Big Bend NP, Big Bend Ranch State Park and some other areas in Southern New Mexico.

The areas in TX were very dry and a fire ban was in effect in BBNP but interestingly in BBRSP there was no such ban but given the dry conditions, high heat and strong winds we only used our propane stove for cooking outside. It seemed pretty obvious that a fire could easily cause a serious problem in no time flat.

Being able to light a campfire is becoming a thing of the past in California for most of the year. I miss having a campfire while camping. Sadly, I don't see them returning anytime soon.

There have been a number of wildland fires started when campers (or homeowners) have tossed "cold" charcoal grills into the brush and the core of the charcoal briquettes are still hot and they are completely unaware that they just started a fire.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom