Charging camper battery via alternater

mtnras

Advanced Member
i have a grandby that is wired to my truck (2007 Tundra) alternator via a battery isolator. The hook up was done by a reliable local outfit; however, it seems that the charge, if any, from the alternator is minimal. I've even noticed that if i'm driving on a journey w/ the fridge on a low dc setting ~1; the battery appears to weaken throughout the drive. last wkd after running the battery to near dead (while camping), shutting off fridge (had actually been on propane while camping)and then driving home about 3hrs, the battery was still near dead. Is this normal? Any idea on how to figure out if the level of current coming from the alternater to the battery is normal?
FYI, if i charge the battery by plugging in the camper to a/c, it charges just fine. the battery is brand new this summer.

You will have to check a few things to make sure the camper battery is actually getting a charge from the truck while you are driving and make sure they hooked the wires up correctly.

Some shops know how to hook the truck & camper wiring up with our campers, and some do NOT.

The FWC's are a bit different than a normal RV.

On the FWC's the "white" camper wire is Positive +.

The black wire is Ground -

In the RV world, the "white" wires are usually not hooked to the positive.

I have seen way too many RV shops hooks the FWC camper wiring up backwards.

You will need to make sure the separator / isolator is opening and closing as it should.

But set this all aside for the moment, because if you are driving down the road with the refrigerator running on the 12v battery mode, it will most likely always suck down the aux. camper battery, even if you are driving.

I don't know why, but I do know the refrigerators suck ALOT of 12v power when running.

Most customers try and run the refrigerator on propane 24 hours a day, even when driving (as long as they are comfortable with it).

Hope this helps a little with a basic over-view.

If you want to see how the battery is charging when the truck is running - you will need a volt meter at minimum and an ammeter at best.

With a volt meter check the battery when the truck is off - then check again when it is running - it should have a higher voltage reading when the truck is running. With a clamp style ammeter you will do the same thing but it will show you the actual amps flowing when the truck is chargign the camper battery. In both test turn everything off in the camper before you start.

My truck will charge my camper battery at 10 amps at idle when it needs some juice. Above idle at cruise (2000 rpms) I imagine it is putting down more amps.

If you need an ammeter this lil' guy has been a real help around the shop - and it is dead simple to operate.

Ammeter/multimeter

If you need an ammeter this lil' guy has been a real help around the shop - and it is dead simple to operate.
Ammeter/multimeter

I don't have a clamp-on ammeter -- I think I need one, for evaluating my camper juice-use mainly. I have an inline volt/amp readout on my incoming solar-panel line, but nothing to check any other lines in/out of the battery.
This looks like a good price. Thanks.
smile.gif

Also a big thing is check wire size / voltage drop getting back to your battery. If the voltage drops too much then there is nothing to push the current into the battery.

using the stock isolator that came w/ the Tundra tow package...

m

using the stock isolator that came w/ the Tundra tow package...

m

Definitely check out the wire gauge (size). Factory packages often don't have a large enough wire to carry the current needed to charge the battery w/o too much voltage drop. Often they are there to supply 12V power as opposed to charging a battery. The voltage getting to the battery needs to be higher than the battery to "push" any current into it.

Since we are on the topic of this, and I don't think this question deserves another thread, maybe sombody more knoledgable in this subject, can answer me this quick question ??

I always thought it is best to charge a "Deep Cycle" marine type battery at a low rate of Amps.
In other words, you will get more life and dependability from your battery if it is always trickle charged instead of being blasted with high amperage from the alternator. Thats why I went with solar panels instead of just running a fat cable to the trucks battery.

Isn't this the correct when it comes to charging Deep cycle batteries ???

Since we are on the topic of this, and I don't think this question deserves another thread, maybe sombody more knoledgable in this subject, can answer me this quick question ??

I always thought it is best to charge a "Deep Cycle" marine type battery at a low rate of Amps.
In other words, you will get more life and dependability from your battery if it is always trickle charged instead of being blasted with high amperage from the alternator. Thats why I went with solar panels instead of just running a fat cable to the trucks battery.

Isn't this the correct when it comes to charging Deep cycle batteries ???

For significantly discharged batteries, nope, and for some manufacturers they advise against it. Even for Flooded cell batteries you pump in high currents until the voltage or heat or gassing reaches a limit. Also a low charge rate will take forever to get you charged up. For a battery on standby, making up for minor self discharge or light use discharge, no big deal, it won't accept high currents anyway, at least not for long.

Many battery manufacturers have their charging charts posted on their web sites. 3 or 4 stage curves are common. Bulk, absorption, trickle (float), equalize, and some have a specific de-sulfation mode or cycle.

The question I think you are really bringing up though would be worded more like this:
Does the truck charging system really fully charge my camper battery? Should I use a trickle charger in addition to my normal truck charging between trips?

The truck is not optimized to fully or delicately top off your stating battery the way a fancy 3 stage charger would. However it runs at high enough voltage that it gets things pretty close quickly without overcharging the battery. Starting batteries are OK with this and I think it is fair to say most truck starting batteries are still flooded cell chemistry. Chronic undercharging is not healthy over time.

Most camper batteries these days are using AGM which is a sealed battery appropriate for installing inside campers requiring no outside venting. They prefer a higher charging voltage then flooded cells. Take into account voltage drop and temperature differences between your alternator/starting battery and your camper battery due to connections and wire distance, getting the last bit of charge into the AGM may or may not happen, depends on your setup. Having a solar or AC charger running while the truck engine is off helps overcome self-discharge losses and ensures it is not chronically undercharged. This does not require much current though. If you plug into shore power your camper 12VDC converter is charging your battery. With the typical FWC supplied charger, you can plug in an "intelligent" charging module for about $30 that gives the converter the ability to become a 4 state charger, one of those is a weekly equalizer cycle. I believe the factory supplied solar charger has the same capability. I have both systems, but only really use the solar - it is on all the time, don't have to think about it, so I do not bother to plug the camper into shore power when it is sitting in the driveway. The drive home bulk charged it, the solar takes it the rest of the way.

Here is the smart charger add-on for our IOTA standard converters.
http://www.iotaengineering.com/iq.htm

The drive home bulk charged it, the solar takes it the rest of the way.

Ditto. I ran 2g wire from my Blue Sea ACR back to the camper battery. The 85w panel does its job impeccably.

Back
Top Bottom