Cheatgrass: Heartbreak of the West

In about 1978 Granddad & I were doing a controlled burn at their place in Powell Butte, OR. It was almost all cheat grass in an area of about 100 sq. yds and except for a field access gate next to his junk pile was bounded by the irrigation canal and a green grass field. Burn was progressing smoothly when a wind gust came up going opposite the previous intermittent breeze. As I was cutting a fire line to keep it out of the junk pile the fire front jumped & blew past me before I could react. I lost some arm and nasal hair in the process.

I will never forget that and it is the reason why fire fighting is not something I've ever been interested in.

It has also given me a healthy dislike for cheat grass on my property. I try to live and let live (rescue the lizards from the cats & put them in a safe place etc.) but that, rattlers, & Black Widows all die an early death with no remorse from me.

Is cheatgrass the same as foxtails?

Common names can be tricky...but no -- the seed heads of what's usually called "foxtail" are thicker and fluffier -- kinda like wheat.

Here's all about cheatgrass, from Utah State University:
Cheatgrass -- Bromus tectorum

Photo of cheatgrass from the USU site:
cheatgrass4.jpg

Yep It's all around us. Already turning color and ready to burn. There is a hill near town that has burnt dozens of times and for years now they have been moving sheep around on it to eat it up. We need more sheep!!!

So this begs the question, “Are we doing our part?” By that I mean as WTW’ers, are you washing down your wander wagon after each trip? Wash down your ground cloths after you camp near it, or in it? If you are a property owner are you keeping your stuff in check? My point is, that the spread of cheatgrass, medusa head rye, Africa grass, red brome and so on, come from several sources. Traffic and transportation corridors through the outdoors being one and expansion from infested areas another.

While sagebrush systems was the focus of the article, alien annual grass and weed invasion isn’t limited to there. The Mojave, transition zones to dry forest, oak woodlands; there are lots of the West that suffer from the problem. Use care picking where you camp, clean your gear to help abate the spread and support those efforts taken by those agencies, local, state and federal, trying to curb the issue when you can.

LuckyDan said:
Okay, I’m a bad WTW’er and haven’t kept up with the site updates. How do I delete my duplicate post? I can’t get the edit delete command to light up?
I got it. One of the free services provided by your WTW Site Team!
:)

Back
Top Bottom