Chiricahuas

Jay - Drove through the campground at Cochise Stronghold during Christmas week 2007, but did not do much exploring as time was short that day. On that trip we very much enjoyed East and West Saguaro Monuments (in your backyard) and Chiricahua National Monument to the east of Chochise Stronghold. This whole area was new to us. We drove many of the dirt roads south and east of the Monument in the Coronado National Forest. Beautiful scenery and lots of campgrounds.

Linkster,
This is a pretty spectacular part of the west. We have done a lot day tripping right herr in Tucson (Saguaro, Cornado, Catalina) But never been to the Chiricahuas. I'm looking forward to heading up that way some time mid March and then the North Rim. I've never been to either.

Linkster,
This is a pretty spectacular part of the west. We have done a lot day tripping right herr in Tucson (Saguaro, Cornado, Catalina) But never been to the Chiricahuas. I'm looking forward to heading up that way some time mid March and then the North Rim. I've never been to either.

Jay- Sounds like a good plan. We ended our Chiricahuas trip at the South Rim. There was some snow, which gives the Canyon a completely different look.

Regarding the area south of Chiricahua Monument . . . signs such as the one I am attaching (hopefully) made us a bit nervous.

Border Patrol

When I was in the Cave Creek Canyon area, there was a noticeable Border Patrol presence. In fact, they had made an arrest and were bringing someone out on a trail.

I had no problems while I was there, but seeing the arrest did prompt me to stay in a developed campground, instead of alone in the backcountry. It turned out fine, because I stayed in Sunny Flat campground, which has some great views of the canyon rock. I recommend this area if you're going to be in the Chiricahuas, though it's not close to Cochise Stronghold.

Attachments

• DSCN1218_small.jpg
    DSCN1218_small.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 243

Back
Top Bottom