Coast getaway

craig333

Riley's Human
It was tough deciding on the coast vs. heading over to 395 but the coast won out. Four days off so I headed over to Bodega Dunes to start things off. Nice and warm to start but that didn't last long. Interesting in that the large loop was closed and the two left were about half full, till the Entrance booth closed. Then a lot of cars came in, no tents or other gear that I saw.
The fog rolled in and with a vengeance. Made taking pics difficult.

When I did get above the fog, here at one of the many stops for road construction, you can see just how thick it was.

It wouldn't take long for the highway to become impassable if it weren't for the constant ongoing maintenance. Next stop (well I stopped a lot, short stops to take in the view and stretch) was MacKerricher SP. Almost choked on the price of camping there but it wasn't totally unexpected. Not a lot of boondocking along the coast. Of course I arrived and left at high tide so tidepooling was a bust.

I didn't forget to stop in at North Coast brewing and picked up some bacon at Roundman's.
The next stage of the trip came from Ski3pins report but had I realized just how long it would take to reach the BLM campground I might have skipped that part.
I've always wanted to stop at Confusion Hill but I've been overruled. Sure its cheesy but the roadside attraction harkens back to another time when travel was much different. I'm fairly sure its nothing more than an optical illusion. Right?

I walked down the old road to the slide to exercise the dog. Sure didn't take long for nature to take back the road. I wonder it it was going to happen no matter how much work they did.
I made a side trip to see the Point Arena lighthouse. Seems kind of crazy to put locate it in such a foggy area :)

I knew 36 was bad but its been so many years since I've been on it. Some serious road work going along there. I considered a side trip to check on my Lake but it was getting late.

Never seen a campground where they specified which illegal drugs were not permitted. My timing was good as the host said the campground was closing for the season Monday.

I never thought I'd say this, but after five hundred miles of twisty curvy roads it was actually nice to get on 5 and head back to Sac. I took a lot more pics but not many came out well. I just now noticed I had accidentally turned off VR. Doh.

Confusion Hill, what memories, my dad was a good friend of the owner. he would take me there as a youngster and they would get me free rides on the train. Years later we took the kids there for a train ride, the train derailed and came off the track and almost tipped over !!
We had to wait for a couple of big dudes to come up and reset train back onto track, funny.

In 2009 we drove from San Diego via 1 & 101. The Recession had just got started and people just weren't traveling much.
The coastline was sunny and dry for the two weeks. The California parks are pricey.
I love the steel wheels.

Thanks for the TR and pics - I haven't seen or heard of Confusion Hill. I'll have to seek it out next time in the area. I drove 36 early this year when 299 was closed around Weaverville. It didn't seem that bad to me but my memory is very selective these dayz.

Nice to see you and Riley out checking on the coast, fun times! Highway 36 was closed for construction - only open from noon to one pm - when we were out there.

Speaking of Riley, I shorted him a pic this time. How unlike me not to have a ton of dog photos!

Also speaking of Riley, if he were a surf dog we'd have never stopped here.

Seems some of pics turned out better than I thought. Thumbnails just look really poor on smugmug for some reason.

There is a section of 36 where they're straightening and widening the road. Its a big project. I wonder why way back they didn't follow the valley more? Won't bother me to get rid of a few 15mph turns.

Back
Top Bottom