Coffee makers

craig333

Riley's Human
As I get ready to head out this morning, I remember I don't have a coffee pot. I really need my morning coffee. I don't like percolators. I wasn't happy with my coleman drip coffee maker. I don't want anything with glass for obvious reasons. Lightweight would be an advantage.

I hear you on that morning coffee....

Since I don't want a full electric jobbie, and don't want to run power if i don't have to, i found that a good compromise is a french press. I've got a stainless steel one that is quite rugged.

Then, I got me one of those camping stoves with built in pot....A jetboil...when it was on sale at REI. It can be used as a conventional stove and I can boil water. Then, add the freshly ground coffee beans and switch on the french press top.....wait 5 minutes....press and nice hot coffee.

I would get your own grinder as commercially ground coffee is probably too fine for the mesh in the press and can lead to gritty coffee. I use one from GSI that is manual. Just coarse grind while the water is boiling.

I also use the stove to make quick meals like soup and stuff. Since I have a Hawk shell, I don't have a built in stove. Works very very nice.

Good luck.

Dave

The french press works well for us too !

we used to sell the 12V small coffee makers, but after actually using them, we never reordered any

:)

I still have an old 12v coffee maker in my camper (that came with the camper), but is sucks a lot of 12V power I think, and it is slower than a snail at actually making any coffee. Great idea, but not worth it.

Boiling water is usually much faster & easier.

I've used French Press for years but I decided this time that I was going to try a percolator. I ground my beans coarse and the percolator worked great - loved the flavor! I think having the proper grind is the key to success in any kind coffee maker.

Instant coffee......needs the tequila!
If you have not used instant before, do yourself a favor and don't. Yuck. After a good cup of coffee you would never want to do this.....no comparison.

Good luck on your choice. Drink often.

- and, always have some irish creme in the truck for those really cold nights......Works with coffee or chocolate.....hmmmmmmmm

Dave

I use a filter holder, hold it over a cup, you pour hot water into it and the coffee taste just like it from the home drip maker, and no grounds....I do not where to buy one mines was a gift. One thing you have to wait for the water to drain through not as fast as a press.

I second Star. We use single cup drip filters and grind up some good java before a trip. Minimal clean up is nice to.

Oh, come on now !

There is nothing like a good cup of instant folgers coffee with the "flavor crystals".

That was my Grandma's favorite back in 1965.

Maybe the "decaff" version would be the only thing better

:)

Attachments

• crystals_classic_photo.gif
    crystals_classic_photo.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 415
  • crystals_decaf_photo.gif
    crystals_decaf_photo.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 417
I also use the "Jet Boil" system. Since it runs on butane it's much faster than the propane stove I've got in my Falcon shell. Very compact and I use it a lot on motorcycle trips.

I'll usually load the press with coffee and water at bedtime. In the morning it just takes a couple minutes to heat and press.

Another possibility for emergency use is a can of the "monster" coffee energy drink. Heat up on the engine while packing up tho' there are obvious drawbacks if forgotten.....

Rob

Cabela's carries the best percolators....stainless steel. Not very light but in all the years that I have been camping, it is much better than any aluminum or porcelain coated steel unit. As said in an earlier thread, the grind of the coffee is key to making a great cup of coffee when using a percolator.

Also with the perk.. You must be there to turn down the heat when it gets to boil.. If they blow the top it doesn't matter how course your grind is, you will have chewy ("cowboy style") coffee..

I like the perk, wife likes the drip cone....compromise is, drip cone when she comes along:D

TT

We've been using the single cup drip filters for most of twenty years and the coffee comes out great as long as you remember to restock the filters before leaving home. We ran out of filters on a short trip this summer and had to recycle a few, not the best coffee I'd ever had. We also bought a 12v from FWC when we bought the camper thinking it would be a great luxury item, slow as snail and a power pig, off to the thrift store it went.

Different...

I'm a little scarred to chime in...

I make mine in my normal coffee maker at home, throw it in a thermos, jug, or whatever, then drink it cold with milk at the campsite. Fresh coffee is overrated.

Coffee is never over rated!

A good cup of coffee in the morning, sitting somewhere in the wild and enjoying the view while everybody else is still sleeping, is one of the few and really special moments in life.

There are many ways to make coffee, from the basic boiling of the grind with the water and let it settle, to espresso coffee makers, percolators, presses, drippers etc..
I prefer the Italian espresso coffee maker with "Cafe Santo Domingo" from Dominican Republic (I grind the frozen beans before leaving homen - even though it is best to grind them right before brewing, and yes, frozen beans).

But tastes are different, there are people out there who even like instant coffee! I also used instant coffee, when working as a truck driver. I used to eat a mouthful and flush it down with some water - that really keeps you awake!

So, try different ways at home and see which ones you like. Coffee for me is one a the simple pleasures in life, but it's also the key to start a great day.

I have a Cabela's Perc that works great & is indistructable. Sometimes I'm in a hurry though & want to get going with minimum of clean up. That's when I boil water the night before & put it in a Stanley thermos. In the morning I can make some instant oatmeal in a paper bowl & I use the Foldgers coffee bags. Not quite as good as fresh brewed but a whole lot better than instant. They work like tea bags so I just put them in a travel mug, pop the top on & enjoy.
Doug

Night Time Toddy

Shot and a half of tequila
Half packet of Swiss Miss
Table spoon Foldgers Crystals
All in a mug and add boiling water

Take 2 and go to sleep
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Back
Top Bottom