Coleman Fold & Go 2 Burner Stove

1tonpaulie

Contributors
I am in the market for a portable stove. Cabela's has this compact Coleman fold & go 2 burner on special for 79.99. I am looking for feed back. I need a light weight 2 burner to stow in my grandby. A while back I saw A post from our leader DD cooking lamb ( Yuck ) on this stove. Yuck means I don't like it!!!! This is the best place to get advise.

Thanks Paulie

I don't own one but I did prepare one meal using a friends a couple of weeks ago. On the plus side, the unit is very compact and the burners have good separation when it is open allowing the use of two fairly large pots or pans. It looks to be well made and should last. The Fold n' Go's downfall is its inability to control the flame at lower levels. If all you do is boil water or pan sear steaks it would be fine but anything requiring finesse is near impossible.

Don't get it it's a POS. The grill is too far off the flame, which in combination with the lack of windscreen makes the stove worthless in even moderately windy or cold environments. It literally will not cook the food.

How about some duck?

picture.php

Thanks for the great replies. I think I will look at another stove. And DD I do like Duck and most things. I hope I did not offend you?

Paulie

Thanks for the great replies. I think I will look at another stove. And DD I do like Duck and most things. I hope I did not offend you?

No offense taken :) I know a lot of people that don't like lamb.

I've found that I use a butane burner like these more than anything else. Not good in wind but they are compact and work well. I got mine at a local restaurant supply house. You see them in restaurants at buffet brunches where a chef is making omelets, crepes, etc.

Butane burners

I am in the market for a portable stove. Cabela's has this compact Coleman fold & go 2 burner on special for 79.99. I am looking for feed back. I need a light weight 2 burner to stow in my grandby. A while back I saw A post from our leader DD cooking lamb ( Yuck ) on this stove. Yuck means I don't like it!!!! This is the best place to get advise.

Thanks Paulie

I just recently got the Fold and Go so I could do more outside cooking. Used it this past week and was pleased with it. Does fold up and is very portable, seems to put out plenty of heat. I only used it for boiling water and making coffee, both burners going at once and it seemed to do well. I also used , for the 1st time, the Coleman drip coffee maker than sits on top of the stove and uses the standard coffee filters. It worked very well on the Fold n Go. I kept the grates in the carrying position so that the coffee maker sits closer to the flames and I quickly had a nice big pot of coffee. I was using the Jet Boil coffee press but it can only make a limited amount at once and is a bit messy. I did not cook any lamb although my Border Collie would be all for it :D

I recommend the traditional Coleman two-burner- it works well, has windscreens and is durable.
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000004120&categoryid=2010&brand=

But, I recently got one of these:
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000004125&categoryid=2010&brand=

because we seem to almost never use two burners. It isn't quite as hot as the two-burner, but we've been happy with it and it is MUCH quieter. I bought one of those aluminum folding windscreens which forms the best windscreen yet since I can conform it around the stove and pot.

We too use one of the butane burners...mostly to heat water and cook simple meals indoors. Note: our first one had very poor adjustment capabilities and eventually none at all...fully on or off. Our current one is better, but still difficult to get a very low simmer.

I use a Century 2-burner with piezo starter. It has a great, low simmer or can be very, very hot.

http://www.centurycamping.com/stoves/camping/

My next door neighbor gave me a brand new in the box 2 burner Coleman duel fuel stove. He said he purchased it in 1978 when he was camping and never used it. I am going to try it out this weekend. If it works well then I will take it for our upcoming fishing trip. Thanks for all the great replies. And DD Duck is GREAT!

I have one of these http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5428A700 coleman 3 burner one burner has 15,000 btu and heats stuff up fast, I only use it when I am cooking for a group and use my FWC stove for everything else.

If you are feeling adventurous you can give one of the many stoves to be found here a try: Classic Camp Stoves. Check out the stove reference gallery.

That's a pretty interesting site there. Who would have known there was so much interest in old camp stoces :D

That's a pretty interesting site there. Who would have known there was so much interest in old camp stoces :D

Lots of interest world-wide. The Japanese are some of the most serious stove collectors around willing to pay big $$$.

I have the foldable two burner, and I was saddened that the darned grill sits so high above the flame. The other problem is that there is no lock for the hinge, the stove rack I use requires a stove that can bridge the gap.

We animal pack, so the small size of the stove was the draw for me, I compensate for the flaws by using a windscreen and a plank to span the gap, the stove sits on the plank.

That means for cooking, I am carrying four items stove, rack, plank, windscreen [sheet of cardboard] and stove)instead of two (stove and rack) Because animal packs need to balance weight wise, that is not a problem, I can shif stuff to balance the packs. And overall the load is more compact than a standard stove.

I am still contemplating taking a grinder to the grills cutting the top off them and reducing their height, but that would reduce the stability of the pot.

My dad has a Coleman fold n go and it has worked great. Idaho, Smoke Creek, and the foot hills of the sac valley have seen the use of this stove with no problems. He also uses the Propane Skillet a lot. He bought 2 of them and they probably see action 60% of the time for breakfast and dinner.

I bought 2 of the All-N-One stoves at the beginning of the year and even with a 5000 BTU output the seem to work flawlessly. Generally I have something marinated in Basque Norte to throw on one in BBQ mode and then I use the other in either burner mode or griddle mode. since we have 2 and the bags are so large we figured out how to stuff them into one bag and it is just easier. Ours did not come with the slow cooker though and we are always so active I am not sure we would have time to use the slow cooker anyways
2000003609_500.jpg

I've used mine more now and am pleased with it, for coffee I leave the grills in the travel mode and I have used a bigger rectangular grill over both burners with the stock grills in travel mode and that has worked well.

I always use the camper cooktop for cooking, except when it comes to grilling the messy. splattery, fragrant stuff like steaks, burgers, etc. The Coleman Fold ‘n Go Grill is perfect for that and cooking such items outdoors is really enjoyable. The Coleman grill works great and clean up is a snap.

4109hFNkH4L._SS500_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom