coleman stove or --?

caseboy

i'm tired of using my dad's old white gas coleman stove. i'm going the propane route finaly.the colemans are so pricy and so many choices.some with grills and griddles.do those last and are they hard to clean? are other brands as good? when i was a kid, coleman was the only way to go, and this stove has worked a long time.but now,there are several cheaper brands.does that mean cheaper quality or just not paying for the coleman name?
we don't cook in the camper much, mostly outside or over the fire

thanks,wes

I'd suggest taking a look at the Camp Chef line of outdoor stoves if you want something other than the "classic" Coleman but still thinking a camp out type stove. We've got one of these:

http://www.campchef.com/outdoorsman-high-pressure-2-burner-stove.html

You can quickly cook up enough food for a platoon of Marines and in fact have done the deep fry turkey thing with it. The down side is it takes a full size bottle of propane to run it.

FWIT, I also own a propane powered model of the Coleman classic. It can work off either the little green screw on propane bottles or can connect to a bulk tank with a hose and adapter. It's what I use most of the time when I bother to cook up something more than a hot dog or tin foil fish.

We carry the classic Coleman propane two burner.It stores easy and I also carry a Coleman propane lantern so they both use the same small bottles.Since my stove is an older model 10 years or so I added a piso igniter.It works great,also added an igniter to the camper stove,easier than matches.I think the stove cost on sale was $39.
Frank

I've owned lost of different stoves over the years. I think all the current Colemans are Chinese made now. Even the classic white gas stoves! Somehow Coleman and China doesn't sit well with me.

I believe Primus might still be made in the USA at least they were a year or so ago when I was looking out of curiosity.

I have been using the Partner Steel (it's made of aluiminum, go figure) for a few years. It's a pleasure and will take a beating. I generally don't buy things that are over priced. This stove was $250 but built so well and made here in the USA, it's worth it.
http://partnersteel.com/?detail_page&record=stove2b16

If we didn't have a Camp Chef Sport Stove I would be seriously looking at the stove that Gene recommends. Our Camp Chef model does not appear to be made any more and what little I've seen of their later stoves didn't impress me.

We have cooked for 80 people on our stove. It was just luck that I brought it to that event as the massive caterer's stove borrowed for the occasion didn't work well with the then new type of propane tank valve. On my "guy trips" the deal is that I bring that stove and do the kitchen set-up & tear-down (we normally move camp every day) and they do the cooking.

You can still get old colemans cheap at yard sales. The pump stops working and everyone thinks they're broken. I got this one for ten bucks. Did the propane conversion. For the money you can't beat the colemans. May not be the best but they get the job done unless you want to do some seriously large pots, then camp chefs come into play. I also have a small coleman two burner but hey, if you're gonna cook might as well go for it :)

FWIW, most of my short trips now I just use the bbq and the inside stove.
camptruckcoleman.jpg

You can still get old colemans cheap at yard sales. The pump stops working and everyone thinks they're broken. I got this one for ten bucks. Did the propane conversion. For the money you can't beat the colemans. May not be the best but they get the job done unless you want to do some seriously large pots, then camp chefs come into play. I also have a small coleman two burner but hey, if you're gonna cook might as well go for it :)

FWIW, most of my short trips now I just use the bbq and the inside stove.
camptruckcoleman.jpg

Wow, sure look's like a great set-up! Just have my old two-burner Coleman and ancient habachi! Creig333, I'll go and hide on the other side of the hill so as not to embarrass you (or me) if I run into out there in the back country!(unless your cooking up something good). In any event I use the stove inside for my morning coffee or when the weather is just to bad to cook outside!

Smoke:LOL:

Oh yeah, coffee is first and done inside always. But I don't feel a compulsion to take pics at the break of dawn (love them though, just not me :)

Some motorcycle guys want me to accompany them on a ride to DV. Carry the beer, the food, the cooking gear. I figure why not!. We get lost I have the beer and food :) Plus I love seeing people shiver while my heater is keeping me warm and comfy.

Another Coleman option:
2000006559_500.jpg

I've been happy with this, think I found it from someone's recommendation here. Folds up nicely. I have an adaptor that I use to refill the small bottles from my 20# tank. Grates can be used upside down or right side to give you an option on height.http://www.coleman.com/product/perfectflowtrade-instastarttrade-fold-n-gotrade-2-burner-stove/2000006559?contextCategory=2010#.UKvI4xwTCzc

Priced over $100! I know I'm way too cheap to have paid that.

Back
Top Bottom