Collapsible sides durability

Eabmoto

I have an 07’ hawke. The original owner took very good care of it keeping it in the garage when not in use. I’m wondering if anyone has had problems with the collapsible sides deteriorating or developing holes in the creases? I don’t see any signs of this but wondered if it’s something that happens eventually?

Our Granby is 10 yrs older. Turned 21 last month. I should say it has held up pretty well. There are holes in both rear top corners, I suspect caused from the roof rubbing against the walls when down and exacerbated from having carried wt on top. These are protected by the roof flashing so never leaked but were easily patched with tape. There are a couple pin holes, mostly near the roof line, they don't seem to be an issue. And one or two small holes, the result of misadventure, again easily taped over.

No other crease wear, surprisingly I suppose.

I've read some owners treat the vinyl periodically, perhaps as one might use saddle oil but I never have (orig owner). Always stored the camper off season, top down after drying out, in a carport or under a tarp. Never had mildew either, again kinda surprising considering the PNW climate.

Anyway, no reason to think it won't wear out someday. All of us will eventually. Preservation is good but use is better...

I and a few others here treat the fabric with 303 or other similar products. avoid products with any petroleum additives as they can causes the fabric coating to crack over time and can preclude getting a patch to adhere in the event needing to repair a tear.

I use 303. Have a couple of pin holes, used Aquaseal to close them up (what I had around). We carry boats and a Yakima Rocketbox, so weight might be an issue. but with the number of miles we have put on, not surprised. The material is very easy to patch.

Doesn’t FWC recommend storing with the top up? I imagine that wouldn’t hurt.

IDK, but agree prob wouldn't hurt. Having the vertical room if stored inside and extra UV and wind exposure if outside might be an issue. But "up" would certainly make off season daydreaming, while sitting in the camper, more comfortable.

The durability of the fabric on the really old models is not relavent because they began using a different fabric at some point.

True. FWIW, my fabric is the blue version, I think '96,'97 was the change over period from the previous tan/orange. Since then, IDK.

----

To address the comment more broadly, I expect it's a given that personal relevancy can be a bit thin on this forum and specific info can be ephemeral.

We all have our differences. Naturally what works for a single, ROF with nary a care in the world may not apply to a young family of 3 or 4 (plus fur baby) battling for, and thru, a slim, 2 week annual vacation. And the quaint, "10 years, no issues" doesn't directly help the owner with a leaky roof or rusty screws. Or were those screws just a bad batch ? - oh, nothing to do with me...

The value here I think, is how by sharing our experiences and opinions we may offer the reader some info, ideas, solutions, assurances and hope for what is possible - perhaps even help dispel a prejudice or two. He or she will then filter it all and apply as desired.

Plus have the occasional chuckle, thankfully there are a few wags on here :D

EDIT for quote marks

bfh4n said:
The durability of the fabric on the really old models is not relavent because they began using a different fabric at some point.
The fabric on my 1977 Grandby is PVC Vinyl. What are they using now?

Back
Top Bottom