Colorado FWC spots

Mongo

I'd like to fit in a Fri-Tues camping trip for myself and my wife/2kids in the next month. I don't know where to start sorting through the options. I'd like to find out from some of you more experienced campers where in Colorado would be your first choice. I'd be open to just about anywhere. I'm coming from Nebraska so Maybe keep in the east side of the mountains. I'd like to go somewhere that's a little less big RV park, and a Little more secluded camping accessible with my pickup/FWC. My kids are 3 and 6 so the activities/ sights won't be to extreme. We're not looking to do to much mountain climbing, mostly sight see and relax and explore near camp. Thanks so much for the advice.

Zach

If you want an RV park with secluded sites (in terms of RV parks...there are trees and shrubs between all the sites), hookups and a few things to do with the kids, check out Jellystone between Colorado Springs and Castle Rock.

If you want something that's drivable on Forest Service roads, check out the Forest Service sites on Rampart Range Road just outside of Woodland Park. That'll be secluded with lots of good views around, and it's not all that far from town (depending on how far in you want to drive). Not sure if they've opened up Rampart Reservoir yet after the Waldo Canyon Fire in 2012, but if you want to see the kind of devastation a forest fire can do, that would be an interesting trip. There are fossil beds and a dinosaur museum nearby Flourissant, too.

If you have a Barns & Noble book store close by, I keep a copy of this book in the camper & have used it a few times when I had no plans, http://moon.com/books/moon-colorado-camping/
We spent the past few nights at the MayQueen at Turquoise Lake, 2hrs from Denver. Its getting cold at night & a large amount of NFS campgrounds have closed for the season.

Late season camping is like late season skiing, most of the people that I prefer not to be around, are not around!

Back
Top Bottom