Colorado San Juan Mountain High

Marc

Fire Proof
Got in from Moab last night after a Ironman drive of 14 hrs. What a trip !! Here is a teaser of things to come.

marc 005.JPG145.JPG

Ok ... Here we go.
The Co-Piolt and I made a clean get away on monday the 7th and sixteen hrs later were in Durango, Ouch :oops: After a crappy nights sleep we were off to hook up with Capt. Leisure in Lake City via Wolf Creek Pass. We had made arrangements to meet for breakfast at the Tic Toc, yum yum and were going to go over possible routes for the upcoming Rally. After a little sight seeing it was off to our camp for the night with thoughts of a trial run at Cinamon Pass the following day. Here are some pics of Lake City, (a true Gem of the San Juans) along with some local wildlifIMG]http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/uploads/1251421722/gallery_179_107_82138.jpg[/IMG]e and our camp for the night.
gallery_179_107_115826.jpg
gallery_179_107_788551.jpg
gallery_179_107_1242004.jpg
gallery_179_107_789832.jpg

The next morning we were off to do a little recon for the up coming arrival of our fellow wanderer's, and took a trial run at Cinamon Pass with the idea of ending up in Silverton to meet up with Simimike at the local Brewery. :D The first shot is airing down, followed by a shot of the local Trail Warden, some shots of DD, the decent into Animas Forks, outside the brewery and decending into Silverton. :eek:
gallery_179_107_329258.jpg

gallery_179_107_1122287.jpg

gallery_179_107_44866.jpg

gallery_179_107_384019.jpg

gallery_179_107_783402.jpg

gallery_179_107_74341.jpg

After a few brews at the pub, we were off to Eureka to make camp. Simimikehad already made a base next to his bothers lavish 5th wheel and had invited us over for pop corn and a movie, what a nice surprise. Thanks Mike and Hank. The next morning found us making a run at ?? trail to see the remains of an old Gold Mine. Much to our surprise, their was a large flock of sheep (about a thousand) about half way up that were munching away as the heavens opened up on us. More to come.
gallery_179_107_308387.jpg

gallery_179_107_148560.jpg

gallery_179_107_934389.jpg

gallery_179_107_814233.jpg

I'm really disappointed I wasn't ready for this. The envy is getting deep in here.

I'm really disappointed I wasn't ready for this. The envy is getting deep in here.

Thats my intention. :D :D Next time you will have to Get er Done. :rolleyes:

Man, thems some cool photos. I am also so jealous that I could not go. Oh well. Next time. Keep those pics coming, we will all live through our brothers who made the trip!

Dave

Alright buddy, this trip should have whipped your arse right into retirement mode. Keep me updated on what awesome little mountain town you are moving to so I can come visit (from my new base camp in Durango)!

LOL, DD...I had a feeling from the way you talked around the fire (that you built!!) that it wouldn't be long before the CO High Country was home again...

Great pics and write up.

Romero's is a must stop if ya like Mexican food, I always make a point to stop there for a lunch when I'm wandering the San Juans.

Nice report. Looks like fun to me. I was hoping to make the trip this year, but it didn't work out.

It's been a couple of years since I did Cinnamon and Engineer...that was in an extended cab F-150 4X4 with standard length bed. No real problems then; had to back up once on a switchback, as I recall.

Now I have an F-250 Crew Cab with standard bed and ATC. It takes half an acre to turn it around on flat land. How did your F-250's handle the switchbacks?

-Buzz

Attachments

• AirForce1(2)-1.jpg
    AirForce1(2)-1.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 147
My F250 extended cab long bed required a back up and go again a couple times but no real problem just had to be careful picking the right line. A few weeks back I went up to Clear Lake off South Mineral Creek and that took a few more. The real fun was East of Stoney Pass on the way to the Rio Grande Reservoir where the truck is just a bit wider than the trail. Notice the leaf and the window scratches :LOL:
619753384_J2bdA-M.jpg

Marc, dude....

:cool:

Good luck with everything. If you find your way to West Yellowstone, let me know. Hermit cabins all over around here....

See you down the road -

Back
Top Bottom