Coming back to truck camper with a couple questions

Stopbit

So after a few years of playing with Jeeps, Aliners, and teardrops it's time to get back into a FWC. I bought a new 2016 Ram Power Wagon which I think would be a perfect match for a nice shell model. My truck has a 6'4" bed and was wondering if a Raven would fit and still allow me to keep and close the tailgate? I like the idea of keeping my backup cam and having a porch. I can learn to deal with the awkwardness of getting out with it in place. I plan to keep it on truck full-time and only drawback I can see is the 17 week wait but open to any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 163
You can mount a replacement camera under or on the camper that plugs into the stock camera harness. I happen to use a Garmin wireless camera into my Garmin GPS display. Then use a hitch step/platform and you can remove the tailgate. That approach opens up more camper shell fit options for consideration.

Dodge Ram has a proprietary OEM tailgate camera/lock connector that no AFTER MARKET company makes a camera for. I really wish someone could prove me wrong on this one. You can always buy Ram OEM cable/harness/camera parts and mount them in your bumper or remove the parts from your tailgate. I've worked at length with Camera-Source and they simply can't find a source for the Ram connector?

Stopbit very nice truck, welcome back!

Not a Dodge, but I had them pull the camera out of the tailgate and mounted it on the bumper. I really wouldn't compromise on interior space just to save a back-up camera. Yes, they are handy, but a Raven is pretty small.

You will bang your head a lot more with a porch than stepping up into your camper.

jim

Nice truck! Love the graphics.

Anyway, I picked up a OEM camera off ebay for $80 and both of the harnesses (I think it was another $60 total) from the dealer and got a duplicate OEM camera set up for my camper. Just plugs into the stock location and worth every penny.

I had a picture at one time of a Raven shell in a dodge short bed but darned if I can find it now. Its an interesting idea. If I had my camper on all of the time I'd like having the camper door protected behind the locking tail gate.

I'm one of the minority. I've got a porch and I love it. Never banged my head on the door jam but have on the bunk when it was pulled out.

JaSAn said:
You will bang your head a lot more with a porch than stepping up into your camper.

jim
Exactly my sentiment. Retaining your tailgate will require you to bend way over to enter the camper.

In my opinion, I'd rather have ~7'' of camper interior space than a foot or two of porch/tailgate space. I've seen the interior of a Raven. and it seems a tad cramped in already small camper. There is a reason why you can only get a roller over couch configuration.

Back
Top Bottom