Connected: all 3 charging sources

esimmers

My 2009 Hawk battery charges three ways: truck alternator, built-in Iota DLS-30 converter/charger with add-on IQ4 charge controller, and 100-watt solar panel with Morningstar SunSaver MPPT charge controller.

Right now I leave all three connected permanently to the battery for ease of wiring and no need for switching. Seems to be working fine for the last six months.

Can anyone with more knowledge than I have a reason I shouldn't leave all three sources connected all the time?

PS.

I've been using Anderson PowerPole connectors and accessories from <Anderson Powerpole, DC Power, Wire & Cable, Two-Way Radios | Powerwerx> and am happy with them.

Hi "E"
I have used all three at the same time....course can't drive very far with the 110 volt connected as I don't have a long enough x-tension cord. :unsure:

Solar controller controls itself. Sure Power controls the alternator. They both lower the amps as battery gets closed to full. 110 volt charger maintainer controls itself lowering amps as bat reaches full.

Now that I have the Trimetric, I can monitor the charging amps of the two sources ( alternator & roof solar )working together. Solar and Alternator take care of the battery with no over-charging .

Mine is set up the same, I don't use the 12v feed from the truck since I run the fridge on propane while driving or dry camping and the solar keeps up with 12v usage when off the grid. 120v is for pre cooling the fridge at home or if we stay at a fancy park and want the A/C(summers in Texas are hot).

Essimers,
I think several of us charge by solar and truck at the same time. The systems work well together and really speed up the charging process.

I've also charged by solar and 110 together but not often because it's usually in the garage where solar doesn't do much.

Charging by all 3?
That would be exciting to see!

The batteries will only take a specific max rate of charge at any given State of Charge. Which ever charge source is the biggest "bully" will dominate, the others will see it's charge voltage as 'battery' voltage unless it/their regulator(s) are really smart. I've mentioned it before, but after hearing the charger/converter boiling the batteries I disabled it and have a Battery Tender mounted permanently though since the solar install we've not needed it.

My experience with several of the 1.25 amp Battery Tenders has been mixed. They have served me well after I realized that they need to be disconnected from the batteries for a minute or so each week or two. This allows the charger to revert to absorption mode & fully charge the battery before returning to float mode. This is the same behavior that the Iota IQ4 and the Zamp solar charge controllers are programmed to do.

Before learning this, I lost two 100 aH and one 150 aH battery. The Battery Tender remained green the entire time, but these backup batteries lost capacity over the months they were sitting there as my emergency communications backup batteries. Other similar batteries that were regularly drawn down by normal use went through the absorption mode frequently and remained usable. Better still is to cycle the backup batteries through the regular use position and keep them all exercised.

My 2 cents
Paul

ntsqd said:
The batteries will only take a specific max rate of charge at any given State of Charge. Which ever charge source is the biggest "bully" will dominate, the others will see it's charge voltage as 'battery' voltage unless it/their regulator(s) are really smart. I've mentioned it before, but after hearing the charger/converter boiling the batteries I disabled it and have a Battery Tender mounted permanently though since the solar install we've not needed it.
I have been able to seen charging with the truck running and solar at the same time around 25-30 amps. This would be similar to 110 volt shore power. My solar doesn't charge must past 15 amps at a time. And my truck won't charge more than 15 amps either.
I did have a load running of almost 10 amps then - 2 compressor fridges at same time.

The rate of charge in voltage and amps is definitely controlled by the battery. It can only accept so much. I've never had any sort of smart charging system to enhance that setup. It has seemed to work ok for me. But I can certainly see situations where the two systems wouldn't work together.

I've never bothered with the battery tender. I put the batteries away fully charged and try to remember to charge them every 1-2 months when not using them.

Still testing solar and alternator charging. Alternator is the "bully".

Running errands on a sunny day, voltage range 13.8 - 14. Amps point 8 - 2.5

Percent of charge 94.......No load.

I assume truck has to be driven more than two hours at a time to completely fill the batteries ??

Back
Top Bottom