Considering a 1st Gen Tundra

srileo

Hello everybody,
n00b here just back from the Overland Expo and all fired up to get truck and camper. A while back, in this post i was vexed that i could not find a Nissan Frontier 4x4, crew cab, long bed, used combination and was getting frustrated with the search. Some of you had advised looking at the 1st gen Tundra. I'm now actively looking for them and am rather delighted that they are considerably cheaper than 2nd gen Tacomas with much more power and same dimensions.

A summary of my thinking:
1. 1800lb payload is way better than the puny 1250 of the Frontiers/Tacomas for about the same dimensions
2. Yes, its a thirstier motor, but the payload makes up for it.
3. Cheaper and much more robust engines - i am seeing 300k mile samples coming up for sale.
4. Simple enough that a 3rd world mechanic may be able to fix one. Too bad parts will not be available abroad - not too many accessories available here either.

Here is my dilemma: I have my eyes on a Tundra with a salvage title: it was rear-ended and the bed, tailgate and bumper were changed out. I haven't seen it yet, but apparently there is paperwork or receipts for the work done at a body shop. The haggled down price is $12,000. The current owner is flipping it after having bought and repaired it (i think). I am not bothered by the salvage title, and will take it to a shop to have it checked out underneath for any frame damage and sloppy repair.

Any thoughts on what i should additionally be looking for in a rear-ended vehicle? Someone suggested taking it to an alignment place as well to be 100% sure... Any feedback would be appreciated.

shridhar

The 1st gen IMO is a good choice.In Sept 2011 after our Denali trip with the Ford Ranger we needed something with more power and comfort.The 02 Tundra was a perfect fit for our ATC Bobcat.I searched Craigs list and auto dealers.Found a lot to choose from.The one I bought has 120,000 miles it's a access cab 4x4 TRD Limited.Tons of options,the original owner must have spent a bunch of money in 02. I think I got a good deal at $12,000.
IMO I would pass on the salvaged truck and keep on searching.They are out there.If you get one from a dealer you might at least get some warranty,which I got with mine.
If you live in Ca. you can find one that hasn't seen bad,salty winters.
Good luck with your search.
Frank

There are differences in the year models of the 1st Gen Tundras. I have a 2005 Access Cab 4x4 TRD with tow package. I have a bench seat which allowed me to seat 3 in the front. The 2006 bench has a fold down center which allows you to reach in the back, some thing I would have liked to have. 2004 or 2005 the engine included variable valve timing. The limited model add a lot to the package. I also have a 2007 Rav 4 limited. Lots of information on 1st Gen Tundras here. One note I took my back seat out for more storage room on my trip around the USA and have never put it back.

I do love my Tundra.

Bill,
thanks for the encouragement. Yes, i started poking around TundraSolutions and found that a 2005 and 2006 had the nicer 271hp motor. Those are the only years of Tundra i am considering for now. That, with a 4x4, crew cab, automatic configuration. What did you pay for your Tundra if i may ask? And what MPG do you get?

You really lucked on the camper! thats a steal for $3500 (from your blog). If we only we can get that lucky. Also, I really like the wind deflector you have over the cab. Any build photos? Noticeable mpg difference?

Thanks in advance, will drop you a PM.
sri

There are differences in the year models of the 1st Gen Tundras. I have a 2005 Access Cab 4x4 TRD with tow package. I have a bench seat which allowed me to seat 3 in the front. The 2006 bench has a fold down center which allows you to reach in the back, some thing I would have liked to have. 2004 or 2005 the engine included variable valve timing. The limited model add a lot to the package. I also have a 2007 Rav 4 limited. Lots of information on 1st Gen Tundras here. One note I took my back seat out for more storage room on my trip around the USA and have never put it back.

I do love my Tundra.

Frank,
thanks for the encouragement about the Tundra. I am reading up as much as i can about them. From what i see of the used ones available - the 2005 and 2006 model years (which had the 271hp motor) are going for around $15k with about 100-120k miles on the clock with 4x4 and crew cab. While the miles dont mean much, i am curious if you think that the price range is fair or i could do better. I am also trying to limit myself to private sellers only because ownership history means more to me than a dealer warranty. Dealers want well upwards of $17k for the same configuration.
Salvage title: if it all checks out from a mechanics, i am willing to gamble on the salvage title because i envision keeping the truck for a long time, solely dedicated to the camper.
What do you think?

The 1st gen IMO is a good choice.In Sept 2011 after our Denali trip with the Ford Ranger we needed something with more power and comfort.The 02 Tundra was a perfect fit for our ATC Bobcat.I searched Craigs list and auto dealers.Found a lot to choose from.The one I bought has 120,000 miles it's a access cab 4x4 TRD Limited.Tons of options,the original owner must have spent a bunch of money in 02. I think I got a good deal at $12,000.
IMO I would pass on the salvaged truck and keep on searching.They are out there.If you get one from a dealer you might at least get some warranty,which I got with mine.
If you live in Ca. you can find one that hasn't seen bad,salty winters.
Good luck with your search.
Frank

I have a 2005 Tundra.

Bought it last year for $11,000, then had to drop $1100 on new tires, tax, and registration.

It had 108,000 miles on it.

Keep looking. Good deals are out there.

The double cab will cost more.

Stay away from salvaged! (Just my opinion)

Buy from someone that knows the history.

You might NOT be able to get full coverage insurance on a salvaged title?

Frank,
thanks for the encouragement about the Tundra. I am reading up as much as i can about them. From what i see of the used ones available - the 2005 and 2006 model years (which had the 271hp motor) are going for around $15k with about 100-120k miles on the clock with 4x4 and crew cab. While the miles dont mean much, i am curious if you think that the price range is fair or i could do better. I am also trying to limit myself to private sellers only because ownership history means more to me than a dealer warranty. Dealers want well upwards of $17k for the same configuration.
Salvage title: if it all checks out from a mechanics, i am willing to gamble on the salvage title because i envision keeping the truck for a long time, solely dedicated to the camper.
What do you think?

First,Stan has some good thoughts on the salvage title.Also,yes you intend to keep it for a long time,but it may be hard to sell come the time.Just some thoughts.
Something I didn't know the beds they are about 2" deeper on a crew cab so you will need to look for one that will fit..Just keep in mind that a camper made for a Tacoma/Ranger or a AC cab Tundra will need to be set on a 2" platform.
I only suggested a dealer,as you might be able to get a deal.Make sure you get a 'Car facts"sheet it may not tell everything but it should show the major repairs/services.
A private seller may not get one ,in that case you could pay for one your self.
The dealer I bought mine from is in Sacramento, E motors.com for what it's worth.Since I needed to get rid of the Ranger it worked out as they gave me a trade in value.I could have sold it for more myself,but the convenience of removing the camper than trading the truck was worth the small amount of money I lost.
Private sellers can be good and the fact that they can give history is a plus.Myself I would look for a one owner truck if possible.Can't give any advice about how much one can pay.If you think it's a good deal for you that's all that counts.
Good luck in your search.
Frank

Srileo,The dealer I used is emotorswest.com
A quick check of the Sacramento area and found several 2005 crew cab trucks.All seem to be around $17,000.
There was a private owner 67K miles.
Seems like a lot of crew cab trucks to choose from.Keep looking.
Frank

Bill,
thanks for the encouragement. Yes, i started poking around TundraSolutions and found that a 2005 and 2006 had the nicer 271hp motor. Those are the only years of Tundra i am considering for now. That, with a 4x4, crew cab, automatic configuration. What did you pay for your Tundra if i may ask? And what MPG do you get?

You really lucked on the camper! thats a steal for $3500 (from your blog). If we only we can get that lucky. Also, I really like the wind deflector you have over the cab. Any build photos? Noticeable mpg difference?

Thanks in advance, will drop you a PM.
sri

I got my Tundra new in 2005. Used the web to shop dealers and the local dealer matched the best on-line price I had got. He did not have a standard 4x4 so I got the TRD package at the same price. I think it was around 25K out the door. I did add airbags and E rated tires when I got the camper. I got 15.5 MPG on my trip running 65 on the cc. I picked up the wing at a yard sale, does not make a lot of difference in MPG but makes a big difference in the wind noise. I have a standard Hawk so there is a big gap above the cab. As Stan said there are some great deals out there is you keep looking.

so the reason i need a crew cab is because we might in the future have a child, and the wife dictates that a rear-facing child seat is must.
So...
Do any of you know if the access cab Tundra can hold a rear-facing child seat? From what i glean in the forums, it is not possible without the passenger seat being pushed forward all the way. Is there possibly a way to remove the back of the access cab padding to gain the few extra inches?

Bought a 2005 Tundra with 80K including a nice topper and good tires, excellent condition inside and out for $17K in Idaho Falls. If you spend a bit of time, there are a number of 2004 - 2006 Tundras with low miles in CA and WA. I looked for three months to find one close, but was about ready to fly to CA when this one popped up. Be patient andyou'll find just what you are looking for. Good luck.

We like our 06 access cab Tundra/Hawk combo. Like BillHarr I pulled the rear seat to build a doggy platform and to store equipment in the cab.

I bought mine in 2010 with 68k and paid ~18k, but had to add E rated tires and airbags to complete the package. The rig has plenty of power, but mileage ain't great at 12-14 mpg. I run 87 octane which is cheaper than deisel, so there's some offset.

IMHO, I would avoid salvage title also, you never really know when you might want to sell the truck in the future.

Nice thing about 1st generation, you could still get a manual transmission! It only came with the 6 cylinder, but that would be my preferred choice. The V8 power on that little differential with a heavy camper makes me nervous. You'll not be getting any better mileage than a 3/4 ton, worse vs a 3/4 ton diesel. You might widen your horizons and save yourself complications of overloading and underbraking a Toyota. Be sure to change the rubber timing belt if you get the Toyota. People tend to forget the importance of the belt and it will leave you stranded.

Sigh... i wish.. The wife will not allow a manual trans :-(

Size of the truck is of the main issue here. I do not want to go beyond midsize vehicle. We live in SF without a garage and have to streetpark it. manuevering around the city is just not fun. Also, we have hopes of taking the 1st gen tundra out of the country - possibly s.america. I'd hate to stick out in a gargantuan 3/4 truck there.

generubin said:
Nice thing about 1st generation, you could still get a manual transmission! It only came with the 6 cylinder, but that would be my preferred choice. The V8 power on that little differential with a heavy camper makes me nervous. You'll not be getting any better mileage than a 3/4 ton, worse vs a 3/4 ton diesel. You might widen your horizons and save yourself complications of overloading and underbraking a Toyota. Be sure to change the rubber timing belt if you get the Toyota. People tend to forget the importance of the belt and it will leave you stranded.

srileo said:
Hello everybody,
n00b here just back from the Overland Expo and all fired up to get truck and camper. A while back, in this post i was vexed that i could not find a Nissan Frontier 4x4, crew cab, long bed, used combination and was getting frustrated with the search. Some of you had advised looking at the 1st gen Tundra. I'm now actively looking for them and am rather delighted that they are considerably cheaper than 2nd gen Tacomas with much more power and same dimensions.

A summary of my thinking:
1. 1800lb payload is way better than the puny 1250 of the Frontiers/Tacomas for about the same dimensions
2. Yes, its a thirstier motor, but the payload makes up for it.
3. Cheaper and much more robust engines - i am seeing 300k mile samples coming up for sale.
4. Simple enough that a 3rd world mechanic may be able to fix one. Too bad parts will not be available abroad - not too many accessories available here either.

Here is my dilemma: I have my eyes on a Tundra with a salvage title: it was rear-ended and the bed, tailgate and bumper were changed out. I haven't seen it yet, but apparently there is paperwork or receipts for the work done at a body shop. The haggled down price is $12,000. The current owner is flipping it after having bought and repaired it (i think). I am not bothered by the salvage title, and will take it to a shop to have it checked out underneath for any frame damage and sloppy repair.

Any thoughts on what i should additionally be looking for in a rear-ended vehicle? Someone suggested taking it to an alignment place as well to be 100% sure... Any feedback would be appreciated.

shridhar
My experience with accident repairs is there is often hidden damage and re-assembly is never factory quality. Might be alright if the repair shop has a good reputation and warranties their work for missed damage or improper repair. But in general I'd stay away from salvage vehicles.
I'd recommend you buy the newest and most well equipped 1st gen you can afford. There is good reason for Tundras being in high demand and probably still will be when you sell it down the rode. So in a way you'll be getting the premium you paid back. Regretfully I've owned trucks by the big three in the 80's and 90's. Always had major repair bills before 100,000 miles. Most recently owned a Tacoma for 150,000 plus miles and now a Tundra with 90,000, no regrets. My access cab Limited TRD is the most enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned. Best reguards!

Thanks all, i decided to pass on this salvage title. I did go out to see it and there were just way too many red flags waving all over the owner. I did take it for a drive though and it was good.

Still continuing to look for Tundras and now thinking of 2nd gen Tundras as well. We shall see.

So,
back in the hunt. this past weekend, the wife and I checked out a beautiful blue '06 Tundra access cab. (we measured out the access cab and found that it will hold a child seat rear facing). We loved the truck, however, it turned out to have bench seats up front!! and the bench seat would not allow for a rear facing child seat to poke through :-( So, we had to walk away, but having just come across this thread, i saw where the OP replaced his front seats rather easily and cheaply with aftermarket seats. Is that a possibility for us? throw out the front bench seat side and put in regular bucket seats? This thread here shows how that appears to be a fairly tricky task - given the electrical connections for the airbags and what not...

Opinions?

I don't know the answer, but it is likely the seat mounts are the same on all Tundras as they are built. So in theory it should be possible to get some buckets from another Tundra at a wrecking yard and switch them out. There is a website called Tundra Solutions that has a huge forum. You should be able to get an answer there.

Still looking for 1st gen access cabs now. The wife and I had a long discussion about the trucks she prefers driving, and she strongly prefers the AC Tundra for size reasons. She is ok with selling it after a year or two of ownership if and when a baby comes along. Start small and easy i guess and then move up to a real 1/2 ton like the 2nd gen Tundras.

General question: anyone here rocking a 2WD and not regretting it? There are several 2wd access cabs for very reasonable prices. Am tempted but i know that waiting for a 4wd is the wiser thing to do both for peace of mind and resale value.

Thanks Ted. The collective wisdom on TundraSolutions said that its not a hugely complicated swap at all. Doable. However, while researching i called up atleast 10 toyota dealerships and got varied answers including "dont risk your life" "liability" "dont know" etc.
You guys know more than the average toyota tech i think.

Ted said:
I don't know the answer, but it is likely the seat mounts are the same on all Tundras as they are built. So in theory it should be possible to get some buckets from another Tundra at a wrecking yard and switch them out. There is a website called Tundra Solutions that has a huge forum. You should be able to get an answer there.

Back
Top Bottom