Cooking gear

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
One thing most of our campers don't have is an oven. Some use a dutch oven with good results. I didn't want to go that route due to the amount of space they take up and their weight. So I have been experimenting with the Coleman Camp Oven. I like that it collapses into a small box. oven

Here it is in use:
gallery_176_163_509924.jpg

Mmmmm, fresh cookies in camp. :)
gallery_176_163_1534447.jpg

I wish it came with a second shelf, but seems to be working so far.

$40 at Cabela's, but you can find it online for less than $30.

If your idea of a big apple pie is less than 10" in diameter, than you are good to go. The shelf is about 10"x10", but the door opening is slightly smaller, about 9 and 3/4". I bought small pans to fit it so can only do small amounts at a time. That is why I would like an extra shelf, two trays at a time.

Also tried brownies but burned the bottom. Will have to work on that. Looking forward to warm cornbread with chili during winter camping.

$28.83 on Amazon with free shipping...Heck of a deal. Ted, thanks for
bringing this to our attention.

$40 at Cabela's, but you can find it online for less than $30.

If your idea of a big apple pie is less than 10" in diameter, than you are good to go. The shelf is about 10"x10", but the door opening is slightly smaller, about 9 and 3/4". I bought small pans to fit it so can only do small amounts at a time. That is why I would like an extra shelf, two trays at a time.

Also tried brownies but burned the bottom. Will have to work on that. Looking forward to warm cornbread with chili during winter camping.

What about rigging a "deflector" out of an old cookie sheet or somethin' that you could attach to those "cutouts" on the sides that allow you to move the rack.

Hey Ted,

I'm not sure I'd want to bake cookies inside my camper in bear country. Have you tried using it on a camp stove outdoors in a breeze? Are the walls insulated enough to give an even temperature in those conditions? Thanks for posting about this gadget.

Highz,

We camp about two dozen times a year and always cook something inside or outside, whether it is cookies, salmon, bacon, or whatever, even in bear country. I can count on one hand how many times I have seen bears in camp. The only time they have been after food was at a campground in Lake Tahoe. Even then some yelling and banging pans together sends them running. I think two people have been killed by bears this year. While this is traumatic for the families and gets big press, an average of 35,000 people are killed in car accidents in the U.S. each year. It isn't the bears you need to worry about, it is the drive to the campground.

I have not tried it outdoors yet (still waiting for DD to award me a Partner Stove ;) ) As to its insulation, there is none and the heat distribution is poor. I am considering cutting a thin fire brick or pizza stone to fit on the bottom and see if that helps.

I was actually hoping more people would post on this thread some of their favorite cooking gear so others can get ideas from them. Along those lines, I have one more I'd like to show. This is the barbeque we use. I like how narrow it folds up, taking very little storage space. I store it between the bed cushions when on the road.
In the carrying case:
gallery_176_163_173721.jpg

Out of the case:
gallery_176_163_280963.jpg

Set up:
gallery_176_163_696272.jpg

And grilling:
gallery_176_114_264428.jpg

We looked at one of those "Notebook BBQ's". My fiance's response was lukewarm enough, and the one that I saw at OSH was flimsy enough that we haven't purchased one. So I'm curious how you like it and how it is holding up to transport and use.

The DO's are heavy, but I'm impressed with how few briquettes they need to cook a whole meal.

As far as a cooking item not yet mentioned, Jet-Boil. They're around $100, but they will make you fresh coffee faster than anything I've ever seen. No propane stove, of any sort that I've ever seen, is as fast.

Systems_PCS.jpg

Magellan where did you get this - or is it home made? I like it.

Afraid I can't be much help Hittheroad. My Father bought it somewhere, never used it, and then gave it to me. I've looked online but the only ones I have seen are in Europe. The price is ok but the shipping triples the price! :eek:
Not familiar with the ones at OSH ntsqd is referring to. You may want to check there.

Ntsqd, the metal is thin and I have only used it maybe a half dozen times so far. It seems to be holding up well with no signs of rust or other problems. What is a DO? This bbq isn't as efficient. You can see I have at least two dozen briquettes in it in the photo of it being used. The bbq this replaced was much more efficient but it took up more space even though it was smaller. We could barely fit two chicken breasts on it.

Sorry, DO = Dutch Oven. My fiance' might have 2 dozen briquettes, at most, in rotation, but unless she's cooking with all three DO's stacked one on top of the other I'll guess that she rarely has more than 10-15 in use at any one time.

I was actually hoping more people would post on this thread some of their favorite cooking gear so others can get ideas from them.

Behold the Weber Q100, by far one of the finest BBQ's I have ever owned. While not the most compact unit, I will always make room and never leave home without it.

P1160005.jpg

Now that I have my camper, the Camp Chef stove is not as much of a necessity but still great when cooking for large groups. Fairly large piece of cooking equipment, but this thing puts out some serious BTU's!

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

And of course the DO...apparently I've got a lot of really heavy stuff :oops:

IMG_6781.jpg

I was doing some research on the Thermette and Kelly Kettle for boiling water in camp with found-fuel (twigs etc) and wondered if there was something available that could be used in camp with wood utilizing similar chimney style tech for keeping wood fire sheltered and able to cook food in wet weather... and i found this little gem called the "Shabu Shabu Hot Pot" :
31XZGBRP9KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
media.nl

They are utilized in communal style meals in japan cooking at the eating table with a small flame-stove under. I ordered one up and look forward to cooking and experimenting in camp next spring.

I have used one of these for a lot of years.The cooking pot should come with a base that holds charcoal.It only takes 5 or 6 briquets to cook a meal.They work great although i don't use it camping.There isn't any reason for it not to be a good cooking tool as long as you use it outside.You can use any type of broth (beef,fish, veggie).You start the briquets in a small pile than drop them down the tube, fill with broth first. Heated if possible,than all the food to be cooked, the longest cooking items first.It takes a few tries at timing the meal.Good luck,enjoy the food.Mine is made of steel and inexpensive ,you may see copper ones but they are to costly.You could use coals from you camp fire also,all you need is good intense heat.

Frank

Attachments

• DSCN3412.jpg
    DSCN3412.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN3413.jpg
    DSCN3413.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 24
Behold the Weber Q100, by far one of the finest BBQ's I have ever owned. While not the most compact unit, I will always make room and never leave home without it.

P1160005.jpg

Now that I have my camper, the Camp Chef stove is not as much of a necessity but still great when cooking for large groups. Fairly large piece of cooking equipment, but this thing puts out some serious BTU's!

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

And of course the DO...apparently I've got a lot of really heavy stuff :oops:

IMG_6781.jpg

with out a doubt the webber is a must have. My dad has used the same one you have for 3-4 years now maybe longer. bulky yes - perfect BBQ - yes. We have a large 2 and 3 burner like your campchef that used to get used a lot. now we have down sized to a couple of coleman deals my dad found.
The jet boil is awesome. I use it on 4x4 trips and to make my coffee when camping with my wife and daughter.

Back
Top Bottom